Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn button contact information requested
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
356ron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Horn button contact information requested Reply with quote

I have recently purchased a 60 356B T5 and in sorting out the car in preparation for a safety check I found that the contact plate under the steering wheel emblem is missing ( sits in the horn insulator) and a wire had been run down to a push switch. I have not seen this part anywhere separatly and do not need the whole steering wheel center. Would anyone know where I can get the contact or be able to provide some dimensions and material info so I can fabricate.
Does anyone rebuild the turn signal / headlight switches?
Under dash wiring was a real mess with 4 way flashes, 12 volt conversion, delayed wipers and more installed with a bunch of plastic connectors. Learning all about my 356!
Ron Jackson
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 356ron on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post a picture of what you are speaking of. I will compare it to my T5
foamcar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron

EASY may have a good used one. Best to phone call them.

http://www.easypor.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, the horn contact is UNDER the black plastic hub. Remove hub by forcing it to turn counter-clockwise on the steering wheel.
356ron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: horn contacts Reply with quote

Thanks jacks
I reassembled the steering whee and horn and did get the horn to honk with some effort. I will replace the rubber insulator next as it is hard.
I have most of the other circuits working now after removing many poorly installed additions under the dash. Interesting that it only has single element turn signals in the front and no parking lights.
I have contacted EASYPOR for a replacement headlight switch.
Ron
JirkaB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn button contact information requested Reply with quote

356B, T5 - 1960
Please, how work horn button?
I remove plastic hub and horn contact pin missing, horn button rubber missing too.

Please, how horn button work? My plastic hub is in "fixed" possition not possible push down. What lifting-up horn button? Missing rubber? Horn button probably have to be "lifting". Automaticly lift-up, and after depressing lift-down? Or not?

How work horn contact pin?
One end is on ring connected with horn (this ring is under steering wheel). The second one connected with insulate big plate (horn button). This plate is electric insulate from "locking small plate". This locking plate is grounded by steering wheel, but how get horn ground, when big platte is insulate?

I do not understand.

When I connect ring with groung, horns are very noisy, it mean - circuit is OK, but I do not understand how work horn button.

- missing contact pin
- missing rubber
- plastic hub is fix position, not pushable, plastic hub is on steering wheel. I can lift-up hub by hand, but it need hight power. Can rubber be able lift-up button?

Thanks for Your advice, I'm sorry for my a little stupid questions.

my idea:
contact pin is not grounded from horn button. Upper plunger os only actuator, contact pin is switch. Bottom is conected with ring under wheel. Circuit is open. Pin is grounded by its ourself sleeve. When is upper plunger is pushed, circuit is closed, therfore upper hornbutton ring is insulate. Because this ring depress plunger.
Rubber boot is not boot, but return spring. Is it right?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: