Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel injector leak help?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathanforbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Fuel injector leak help? Reply with quote

Hey guys, so I got the car back from mechanic a couple days ago and since then its smelled like gas a little bit, I asked him about it and he said that it was just the dried oil around the engine from where he changed oil sensor
I should have checked it out then but I decided to today and I find fuel dripping from one of the injector directly onto the engine bay!
It appears to be weeping from the seal between the yellow plastic part and the metal plate. Can I replace the seal or will the entire injector need to be replaced and are these extremely hard to find?
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bradey Bunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some spare injectors I can mail to you. But first I would get some 30R9 fuel hose and real FI hose clamps and do the whole car (5/16" hose works fine). It might just be the hose that is clamped to the injector, an injector leaking externally like that is rare.

Braden
nathanforbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as stopping fuel flow when I change the hose. how would I do that, as the small braided line goes directly to a metal fuel line
Bradey Bunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a cup or so of fuel should come out, personally I use a bunch of rags so I dont get it everywhere, if the car will be sitting for a long time with an open line I plug it with a bolt or line clamps.

The return line under the car is a bit different. You should clamp the line and switch it fast so you dont get fuel everywhere, because otherwise the tank could drain.
Hamsterben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question yes you can replace the two seals but that looks like a leaky hose or a bad injector.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a leaking injector. In hot weather...you would have gone crazy looking for that leak unless it was significant...because if you turn it off every time you go to look...the fuel evaporates so fast that everything is dry by the time you get back to the engine compartment.

That is a leak between the yellow section and the black section. They can do this from age...but the most common issue...if you live in cold climates...is from small amounts of water in the fuel line staying in the system and gettin ga hard freeze. It expands and pushed the yellow part away. I found this out on my first 411. It had a lot of water in the tank. It was my first car and I just didn't know what to expect.
We had a cold snap and it went down to about 5F. All four injectors cracked their yellow portions loose just like that and leaked everywhere.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: