Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Under Hood Liner
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NevadaVandal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Under Hood Liner Reply with quote

My 1974 SB is not available but I somewhat recall a cardboard liner on the underside of the hood. It is similar to the trunk liner, rigid cardboard. Am I dreaming?
Anyone seen that or found a replacement?
Thanks
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Hood Liner Reply with quote

Is this what you are referring to
http://www.jbugs.com/product/133863507D.html

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Under Hood Liner Reply with quote

My UK-spec '75 has one. It's quite short - only 10"-12" and fits towards the front of the hood, held in place by the edge flanges and the handle/latch. I've never seen replacements listed by parts suppliers. Not sure what it is for, it has little or no noise reduction properties. Most likely is to reduce the risk of loose items in the trunk denting the hood as they roll around.

If you can't find one I could take some pictures of the one on my car in situ and draw up a template.
rubadubug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Hood Liner Reply with quote

The fella from https://www.classiccult.com/blog/my-1965-1200-a-vw-beetle-restoration.html restored his original trunk liner by using some spray adhesive and several layers of newspaper over the cracks. He then applied black felt to both sides.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Under Hood Liner Reply with quote

I used thin industrial carpet and made my own for my 1971 Super.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Under Hood Liner Reply with quote

The OP is asking about 'a cardboard liner on the underside of the hood'

Here is the one fitted to my Super - the handle is not fitted in these photos but you can see how it fits around the liner when in position

If anyone needs dimensions for this part I can measure it and post a drawing.

NevadaVandal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Hood Liner Reply with quote

Dimensions would be most appreciated, please. Thank you
NevadaVandal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Hood Liner Reply with quote

If you have the opportunity demensions on this would be appreciated.
Thank you
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Hood Liner Reply with quote

NevadaVandal wrote:

If directed at me: I didn't have dimensions, I just placed the carpet in there and cut with scissors freehand.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Hood Liner Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
NevadaVandal wrote:

If directed at me: I didn't have dimensions, I just placed the carpet in there and cut with scissors freehand.

Brick wall

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
gimpy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Under Hood Liner Reply with quote

ya know, that looks just like a trunk lid !! a hood covers the engine, trunk lid covers the luggage area (trunk)
NevadaVandal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Under Hood Liner Reply with quote

gimpy60 wrote:
ya know, that looks just like a trunk lid !! a hood covers the engine, trunk lid covers the luggage area (trunk)

As Shakespeare would say "Much ado about nothing."
Dr_P_in_WV Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Under Hood Liner Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West sells the liner for the inside of the trunk lid of Super Beetles. The purpose is to prevent dents (not a problem with standard Beetles because the spare tire is in the way). https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113823109
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Under Hood Liner Reply with quote

Dr_P_in_WV wrote:
Wolfsburg West sells the liner for the inside of the trunk lid of Super Beetles. The purpose is to prevent dents (not a problem with standard Beetles because the spare tire is in the way). https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113823109
Good to know, thanks. $27. and probably $25 to ship the way rates have skyrocketed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nbvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Under Hood Liner Reply with quote

Dr_P_in_WV wrote:

I bought this when they first released it. I had to do a little bit of trimming to get it to fit properly on my '74. I think the version they sell might have used a '75-'79 hood as the template, since that version has the handle positioned out and up a little more than the '73-'74 hood.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: