Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stupid things you only did once....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...took a leak on an electrified fence. The worst part was, I could see the spark travelling the "current path" but it was too quick to do anything about it. Went from falling-down drunk to stone cold sober in about 1/100 of a second
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YIKES!!! :crazyeyes:

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought a rusty ass 21 window at age 20. didn't know any better. next time i bring it from the west coast!!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegabok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Fender Removal Reply with quote

Never be angry at your girlfriend and reverse out of a tight parking spot without paying attention. I did it and my front left fender met a metal girder and the back part of the fender was ripped away from the body and folded under into the tire. I was able to bend it out to get the car to roll, but all those little nuts in the body were sucked out and the sheetmetal around them were all puckered up. Oh, and about the distributor cap not on when trying to start, I do it all the time, and I did it this morning....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadmansvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that is some funny shit d'oh! d'oh!
deadmansvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tryin to move the sqr bk aginst the wall with 3 1/2 ton jack with none of the wheels on it and dropped it on the ground stupid move tryin to catch it one person 3ooo pounds ya right
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend bought an old rabbit convirtible. I went over to his house to check it out. Out of habbit I went to the rear and opened the little hatch. At first I was supprised and then I said DUH! Laughing

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never NEVER pull the sparkplug wire to try and turn the engine off DUHH WHILE gas is being spewed all over the engine compartment. Never again DOH Embarassed Embarassed
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steped in dog shat then got into the beetle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
del
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you buy a non running vw. spend a few days working and getting parts to make it run. once you get it running, you're so excited you just have to take it out for a test drive...only, you forgot to check to make sure the brakes work. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johann_24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly tore apart the engine trying to figure out why it wouldn't start after tuning it up, only to find the distributor cap wasn't on. Idea

'63 Classic resto bug
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't take me long to answer this one.
When I was younger, I was tearing apart my lawn mower..it was having trouble starting. I took the cyloniod out, tested it, and saw it was ok. I put it back in, and the lawnmower would still not work! So i figured it was the electrical going to the ignition to the starter/cylinoid. So I was connecting both ends of the cylinoid to a metal screw driver, and sparks were comming out, and I had done this about 40 times that hour, and alot of heat and energy were getting into that metal on the screw driver.
What did this dummy do? Ya...the phone rang, so I grabbed the screw driver and when I grabbed it, I grabbed it in the metal. It hurt so much... I still have a scar on my hand. It burnt through my skin, even though it was only on me for about a tenth of a second...I learned my lesson!!!
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can also say that having beetle battery clamped down and an insulated lid on it is a good idea. mine started burning with 3 year old boy belted into kiddy seat right above it!
no serious damage to son or car tho', just a load of new wires. i was quick with fire extinguisher.......

more recently, like this week i thought i'd move a bus that's been sitting at home for a year and a half. someone had constructed a fairly primitive wiring system for 2nd battery so i'd ripped that out but had left a relay which was screwed to the engine room floor just inside the right hand corner a few inches from the engine hatch corner.
now i'd been in this engine room lotsa times, but i'd never actually shut the lid with the engine running..............
sparks and smoke and flames in that order but ten times quicker than it takes to read this!
the spring thing that holds lid open had touched the relay when closing, probably only on the terminal that's live with the engine running.

again fortunately no serious damage, but that relay is in the trash can now.

or how about fitting a 71 axle to a 72 bus and then finding that the 72 calipers wont fit and you've already sold the 71 calipers a year ago.

i got pretty good at changing axles quickly tho'. Embarassed
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dad , don't worry , I can make it to work with a busted belt. My 1st Ghia was a 67. Bought it for $105.00 in 74. It is amazing how much oil smoke poured out of that thing Exclamation Had to put my face real close to the glass to see where I was going. I pulled into the parking lot with smoke just a rolling out of it. Dad was ready to call the fire dept. Who knew the belt cooled the oil too Rolling Eyes

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
1973 1303S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes don't assume you can reverse that little bit further before hitting the gate or you'll stain the paintwork with 2 black circles!

Shocked check the car is out of gear before turning the key - i was leaning into the car & it shot forward dragging me with it!
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1973 1303S wrote:
Shocked check the car is out of gear before turning the key - i was leaning into the car & it shot forward dragging me with it!

I did this with my bus... and it ran over my foot... That hurt.
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou everyone, i now feel like a damn genious. Shocked Shocked
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moxnix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dumbest stunt was with a buddys 67 Ford Galaxie vert in high school he hauled in back from ND, and we had it running around the nieghborhood when it stalled out and wouldnt fire back up. I had the bright idea to grab onto the coil wire as he was cranking it- Not so much fun. Also later that same year, I was drving my 71 bus and lost power- pulled over to find major gas leak... Couldnt find the source- so I actually told a buddy to crank it so I could find the leak! Poooof!! Like a freakin mushroom cloud
MGKrebbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Never work on your car when you're tired. Reply with quote

Hooked battery cables up backward. I know that black is + and red is - in my bug, but I was tired. It's hard to overcome the instinct that black is - and red is +. Had to re-polarize my generator, change some fuses and my turn signal relay has been moody ever since.
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owning a NON-Air cooled VW with a Turbo! It cost me $200+ just to have the Turbo adjusted and I owned the car for 6 months of which 3 were spent in the Desert. Sold that Biznitch on to buy a 56 Oval. Like I said only once and I will NEVER do it again!!!

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 24

Jump to: