Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stupid things you only did once....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled the motor on a slanted driveway without blocking the wheels and the parking brake wasn't on. As I balanced the motor on the floor jack the buggy rolled down the driveway across the alley and hit the neighbors house. He came to the window and gave me a dirty look. No damage to either house or buggy.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BugMeister69'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a way to have fun is to put your hand on top of the distributor checking the wires with one hand and the other hand on your bumber,while your car is running. youll have 30000volts jolt thourgh your body at 900rpm which is about 14 times a second. Yeah it knocked me straight on my ass and it took a second to realize what just happend. my brother thought it was funny seeing as he saw it happen
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was learning to drive (in a bus) my mom taught me how to do an emergency stop (brake and clutch at same time). Then, as we were driving in a parking lot, she said "emergency brake". What? Emergency brake. Ok, I thought, and yanked the E-brake. SKREEEECH!

LOL...definitely only did that once. Rolling Eyes

Oh yeah, and never push in a new fuse without making sure you've disconnected the battery *and* fixed the short. Estimated 900 degrees against my fingertip! Shocked

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Tie one! LMFAO Prolly not funny at the time. I forgot to chain a rabbit down to the trailer when hauling it to the crusher. Went up a hill over some RR tracks and off it went! The Boss was not that mad. I guess every yard hand before me did it also. It was my turn. Laughing

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QWKDTSN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost did the same thing with my Datsun. Had the front up on jack stands and went to start the engine. No clutch nor neutral switch, and I forgot to take it out of first... Damn thing nearly came crashing right down off the jack stands. They surely would have destroyed my pristine floors. After I stopped my racing heart and looked under the car, the stands were leaning on two of their four legs, surely a tiny nudge from slipping out or tipping over.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this afternoon I accidently hooked my condenser wire to the pos. side of my coil- hooked up the battery and smoke and fire comsumed my new points, and condenser wire- figures it is Sat. too- Shocked All I want to do is get this POS to turn over- Evil or Very Mad
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I broke one of the exhaust studs off of my head today...
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, I think you will do that more than once. Or am I the only one? Laughing

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Stickboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its too close to home, but PLEASE block the unjacked wheels when you put one end of your car on stands. A neighbor got killed just a couple of months ago when he had the front end on stands and an assistant bumped the starter to turn things over and the car lurched forward. Maybe if he was working on a bug he would have survived (less weight) but probably not as about any car can crush your skull.

What was I thinking when I bought this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jerry.t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moving into a gawdam trailer park / tornado magnet well tornados arnt that bad its the f ing people around here that suck
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting Married! Oooops, I did that twice! Brick wall

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my first car, a 55 Chevy stepside PU which has the starter button on the floor and three on the tree. I went to start my truck to go to school and thought it was in neutral when I hit the starter button. (You have to turn your foot sideways to hit the starter and the gas with your right foot) It wasn't in neutral and the truck jerked forward right through the garage door and into the garage at 5:30 am. My dad almost skinned me for that one. d'oh!
'65 Honda Dream
lostone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quickly learned never ever EVER,intentionally leave a shop rag in the engine compartment to check the oil with. It gets sucked into the fan and the subseqent vibration almost immediatly destroys the fan,the oil cooler and breaks off the alt. stand right at its base,I dont have any pics of it but trust me,it really tears shit up!
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostone wrote:
I quickly learned never ever EVER,intentionally leave a shop rag in the engine compartment to check the oil with. It gets sucked into the fan and the subseqent vibration almost immediatly destroys the fan,the oil cooler and breaks off the alt. stand right at its base,I dont have any pics of it but trust me,it really tears shit up!

I do leave the oil in the engine compartment, but never have left the rag in there. Now it seems that it's good that I never have...
Stickboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a time this friend of mine had a POS New Yorker with a bad battery cable clamp. One day we're driving accross the railroad tracks and just as we're going accross the tracks the car dies and goes completely black. After pushing the vehicle the rest of the way accross the tracks in a panic we try to get the hood open and can't. With brute force it finally pops open and we discover something: you can weld with a car battery! My friend had put a pair of vice grips on the offending battery cable clamp to hold it firmly to the post. When we hit the bump the handle of the vice grips hit the hood, caused a direct short, and welded themselves to the hood. A little piece of info to keep in mind when driving a bug, as the rear seat springs would conduct electricity very willingly Wink

What was I thinking when I bought this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it qualifies for stupid but it was funny at the time. I was in the back seat of my brothers bug with one of our fat friends. I couldn't keep still my butt seemed to be really hot. I thought it was me but it really started to cook. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I started to smell something. It turned out that our fat friend was sitting over the battery and the seat was shorting across the terminals. Nothing like sitting on a barbeque grill with padding.
webs1302s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished installing torsion arms in a 72 bus (new ball joints) re-attached tie rods, brakes, etc only to find out the steering was locked up. After 20 min of checking everything out I tore it all back apart and re-assembled everything. Same problem.

I didn't have the key in the ignition Embarassed Duh!
chipmcluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felt like the clutch was going out in my Ghia and was getting worse by the hour. Bought a new disc and got a friend on Saturday to help pull the motor and replace the clutch. Dropped motor but the clutch looked good still, thought nothing of it. Put everything back together and still, clutch does not want to engage. The next day I realize the cable was frayed towards the pedal.
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own a ford. It's rotting away in the back yard right now.

As for forgetting to put the rotor on before trying to start the engine, I know I'm not the only one to do it more than once. WAY more than once!
jerry.t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i was four i walked up behind my dad and he was
using a roofing hamer on somthing and when he swung
back whith it the axe part hit me in the right eye brow
at full force lotsa blood and pain. wont ever do that again...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: