Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 914 targa questions.
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ynos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: '74 914 targa questions. Reply with quote

My neighbor has an orange 1974 914, 1.8 he is thinking about selling..
he is a bodyman and was given this as payment and wants to get cash out of it now. the body looks to be immaculate, has leather interior, no cracks in the dash, the dome light is cracked. comfortable for even me (all 6ft 4in).
the problem... the engine sounds like my type3 ghia did before the top end rebuild.. am assuming it needs to be rebuilt too.

http://craig.wmis.net/porsche/ for pictures.

so... how much you think he could get for it? i was thinking $4500, he seems to think its worth about $10,000...

btw, it is back to the stock orange.

thanks,
Craig and Jim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
rmital
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

areas of concern:

jacking points/longitudinals under the outer rocker panels. Tend to rust out...body sags...door gaps may be smaller toward the top.

Hell hole. Under the battery tray. Tends to rust out and then damages the longitudinal. (main structural support or frame).

...two huge issues that will decrease the value of the car.

But I do think your more on track with a price of $4500. Sure, maybe more $$ if the suspension on the car is great; the brake caliper don't need to be replaced or rebuilt; you have good pedal or pressure in your braking system (master cylinder); gas tank isn't full or rust (if the car's been sitting)....
rarefinds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is not that nice!!! Hate to tell you that, but you asked.

In the pictures that you posted, the car appears to be fairly clean. It looks to have been repainted some time ago. I would have to say that the car is not that impressive. I would like to see the engine compartment, especially the battery tray area. Also, check out the lower door jambs. I see signs of rust in the seams of the trunk lid. I would guess that if you start looking very close at the detail on the car you might not like what you find. Another thing to take into consideration is that the motors are not cheep to fix. They are not your typical bug motor. Might be worth $2k to $3k to the right person.
ynos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, i will take some more pictures tomorrow and put them up.

iirc, there is no rust in the batt tray. when i was under it to change the oil, the pan looked solid. it was painted less than 6 mo's ago, and was taken down to metal(i know because it was on jack stands in his paint booth when i went over and introduced myself). and there was no plastic filler either, anything that was dented, he bumped out a new panel for.

about the engine - i know where i can go get a rebuilt 914 engine, turnkey, and have it in for $1200. a friends dad rebuilds Porsches back in my hometown, and has offered to put one in my type34 for that price. gotta love (almost) family discounts.

rarefinds - where do you see signs of rust in the trunk lid?

edit: the brakes work fairly well. good pedal pressure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
rarefinds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://craig.wmis.net/porsche/thumbs/IMGP1189.JPG

In this pic there appears to be something between the center support frame and the deck lid. Could be dirt, its hard to tell. Also look close in the other pics around the hinges and the strut support areas. I would inspect the car very closely. These cars can be rust buckets. A quick coat of paint can hide some serious issues.
ynos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walked over to take a picture and dropped(broke) the camera, will take more pics when i can get/borrow another camera.
cameraphone pictures blow... i pulled it off my phone and it was much darker than it looked on the friggen thing.

there is no sag in the doors/door frame (that i can see)
the black you see in the front trunk is a black tar-like sealent.

took an hour and walked around with a magnet and paper, the magnet never fell off. also poked around in the trunk and under the battery. couldnt find any rust. looks like the "hell hole" isnt Wink
E machine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Backfiring 914 Reply with quote

I have a 1.7 dual 40 dells..009 elect points. the car backfires with deceleration....it idles great but seems to flood out with an attempt at accelleration( or take off) if I baby it it will take off fine...or if its at a high rpm it will take off ok........timing is good,plugs good,valves are good,gas is good,fuel pump is good.. any thoughts??
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrong dizzy as the 009 has only 17 degrees of advance. Time it at 10 BTDC to correct it or at 3500 rpms @ 28 Degrees BTDC with a timing light checking first the marks on the fan are correct.
A correct dizzy is the way to go as the 009 is for a type 1 engine.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: