Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Montehms 67 Prairie Square
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

When it rains, well, you know the rest. I had cleared out the powder coating from the lug nut holes and was getting ready to take the car to the car wash to rinse off all the dust and such and give my tires a scrub for Mondays visit to the Glass shop and as I was turning the wheel I began to hear nasty grinding sound. straightened out the wheel and all's good. Went down the road and took the turn and there it was again. Stopped, backed up and went back up the hill and parked the car. "What now" I asked myself as I shut the car off and sat. Turned the wheel and Crunch-Crunch-Scrape. Dammit I need to remove the steering wheel and see where this is coming from.
Pulled the wheel and the small, thin washers and locking ring were chewed up and mangled. Closer look at the column had the edge worn down. Evil or Very Mad Brick wall I took a look at the canceling which was fine. BUT the screws were worn and shiny which led me to believe these destroyed the edge of the column to where the clocking clip popped of and things went downhill afterwards. d'oh! These are the same screws that I pulled held the canceling ring on a cracked, OG steering wheel I can across.

SO I have to pull the column, remove the ignition and wiring and replace the column section with another and put it all together starting this evening. Crying or Very sad Then I can get back to other small things to get done until seals arrive. Razz
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Here's what I found when I pulled off the steering wheel last night. The three screws got me. The heads were worn and shiny. Evil or Very Mad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the edge I spoke in my earlier post...

This evening I removed the column and took it apart. Since I have all wiring out, I'm going to replace a few that I didn't when I put it together as they were sheathed. Mainly the ignition wires and the Black/Green/white wire.

What I liked about this project is that I have an operational ignition! The new column housing was wet sanded and primed and tomorrow will get a couple of coats of gloss black. By the afternoon this column will be back together, re-installed and tested in the garage and on the road with my jacked up seal install holding the doors together!! I have to get this column ready for Monday!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Full day of Column work. After pulling my magic box (old harness from ataraxia, few pieces from other cars) and I found what I needed to replace what I had going on...

Inspected my replacements and put my column harness together. Ran some errands today and then back to putting the column wiring together...

Soldered my connections and moved onto the ignition...

The put it all together and back in.

Re-wired everything and tested it out:
- Horn: Good
- Signals: Good
- Lights: Good
- Turns over and starts: Good
Turned the wheel and don't hear any crunching around. Testing tomorrow and not sure if I'll get to the windshield place until possibly later in the day.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Full day of Column work. After pulling my magic box (old harness from ataraxia, few pieces from other cars) and I found what I needed to replace what I had going on...

Inspected my replacements and put my column harness together. Ran some errands today and then back to putting the column wiring together...

Soldered my connections and moved onto the ignition...

The put it all together and back in.

Re-wired everything and tested it out:
- Horn: Good
- Signals: Good
- Lights: Good
- Turns over and starts: Good
Turned the wheel and don't hear any crunching around. Testing tomorrow and not sure if I'll get to the windshield place until possibly later in the day.

Good to see that wire is doing you some good! I have four more boxes like that one and they've come in handy plenty of times...

Nice to see you making real progress on your car - you're getting better at troubleshooting without even realizing it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Yeah, that box has not let me down.

Test drove the new column and it came out great. No noise! The weather was overcast with clouds as we were expecting lite snow flurries. The square took off to the Glass shop . The trip there was great! I had a great time driving the car and the shop owner and I discussed what I had experienced with it. He and his team took care of me and set the windshield. I was happy to pay the rate and I was on my way back to alot of thumbs up and double and triple takes of other drivers. Tomorrow I polish some more, start removing the seals and see what happens.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Applause Really looking good Mont. The hurtles that we overcome restoring Type 3 are half the fun. Very Happy
Couple rookie moves on my new motor install. I forgot to smear some oil on the rubber gasket for the oil filter so on first fire and Run I had a pudle of oil under my car. Embarassed
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Last couple of days went fairly well. Ordered new seals, windshield was put in, polish, polish , polish and installed a few more items. Took the car out for some shakedown rides. So far good but have a small leak and will be chasing that down. Every now and then My red gen light will come on but goes off. This had happened prior to my rebuild so I don't know what to make of it at the moment

I have a couple of small chips to touch up. I'll be spending my next couple of days pulling off the seals I messed up and cleaning the channels so I can get the new seals in properly. That's going to suck. My box of items to put on the car only has a few more items that belong to the doors. I'm close!!!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Quote:

SPATS ARE CORRECT Smile
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

[quote="pedro sainz"]
Quote:

SPATS ARE CORRECT Smile

Thanks for the verification Pedro!!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Removing the miss-aligned seals were a humbling experience. I had to clean out the channels of debris from seal foam left behind. I was easiest for me pull the door and get the seal installed. So far the driver side has been taken care of. Today will be the passenger side. Once the seal is and doors are back on, I can get the handles and locks installed and close the loop on the door panels.

My shakedown ride has so far produces a blown brake light bulb. I probably will be tuning this things once again after tracking the source of my small leak. But overall I'm happy with it. More to follow...
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Ohhh that looks great! Curious how your windshield seal looks after install. Did you use the original factory trim or ISP trim? I may order another ISP seal while I'm here in the states...
1968 Mercedes 230 "Heckflosse"
1970 Type 3 Fastback 1600 TA L60D
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Dlglobal1 wrote:
Ohhh that looks great! Curious how your windshield seal looks after install. Did you use the original factory trim or ISP trim? I may order another ISP seal while I'm here in the states...

The ISP seal doesn't fit great. Seems like the seal is about 3/4 of an inch too long.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Dlglobal1 wrote:

ibjack wrote:
Dlglobal1 wrote:

The ISP seal doesn't fit great. Seems like the seal is about 3/4 of an inch too long.

I used the ISP seal which I had a shop install the windshield after I had set everything up. I only gave them the center clips and explained how they went in and they did the rest. The corners turned out great. The seal fits good all around and there's no overage or ripples on the outer edges. I'm happy with it so far but until I'm out in the rain or at the carwash to test the seal I wont know the results. Smile

Gotta get back to the door seal.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

My seal looked good to at first now my top drivers corner is lifting. I hope it goes back down after the temps heat up. Looking good Mont! Cool
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

My ISP seal fit all right, but it still leaked at the bottom -- water would come in between the seal and the glass. It's like the seal doesn't fit tightly enough on the glass. I used some Permatex Flowable Silicone as Tram suggested, and it's been high and dry ever since. That's been 2 years ago.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Well, this past week was pretty eventful. I got the door seals sorted and damn that process suck. I then hurt my knee and had to hit the ER. with my knee swelled up, I continued to push forward to completing the car. Why? My buddy/mentor told me my car was due at the G3Rods Charity show. I was hung up for two days this week with swelling but managed to get an hour or two in a day to get the door panels in and polish, polish, polish. I have to revisit those panels as the material used was not forgiving where I needed it to be. The time spent had me exhausted but I kept at it. I woke this morning at 4AM to clean up anything I may have overlooked and placed a coat a final coat of polish on the car after a bath at the car wash. My buddy met me with his 49 Pontiac wagon and we were off to the show by 9AM. I had a blast and I must say, the wagen got alot of attention. My son met up with me later today from an event he attended where he got poked in the eye. I took him around to look at all the cars but he was having a hard time with the eye and asked to go home. I found my buddy and let him know I was heading out. One of our hosts asked if I was leaving and I let him know I needed to. He said he had something for me to take home as I was told I had won an award, I was shocked as I had no expectation of winning anything and was content just being there showing my car. As I was packing things, Ryan and Jay came out and awarded me the 'F Bomb' award which I thought was the best trophy of all on the table. Here are a few pics from G3s show on their FB page and my award:
https://www.facebook.com/113722851997555/photos/pc...mp;theater

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

The "F" bomb award is hilarious Laughing and awesome Exclamation

Hope your knee and your son's eye are OK!
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Well done Mont! Way to push through and get her done! Applause I have to say I'm a little jealous. I hope my car is as well received. Laughing I have been lucky and my target show has now been postponed for the second time due to snow. Cool this has given me time to get things wrapped up. Finalized both of my doors yesterday and you are correct the door seals were a true pain. My fingers are still sore. Congratulations on your cars maiden voyage sounds like it was a huge success that was well deserved.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Monte,
I saw your car at the show on Saturday. Nice job! All the hours you spent on the paint really paid off.
Good to see another great aircooled car running around the hills!.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Monte,
I saw your car at the show on Saturday. Nice job! All the hours you spent on the paint really paid off.
Good to see another great aircooled car running around the hills!.

Brian

Thanks Brian. Got a lot compliments from folks at the show and award was very unexpected. I want to get on my trailer but have a few add-on things I wish to take care of first. I also would like to meet up with you to look at getting a second set of eyes on the tuning.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Page 64 of 75

Jump to: