Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Nice job on the muffler! Love seeing an old used part get revived!

How often are you ripping up the sidewalks on that board of yours? I skateboard daily, out to the 70 Bug everyday! Been skating since I was 5, never stopped! However, my hip sockets are starting to show damage from the effects of it. Maybe I can just weld in some new socket material and keep going!

Love your story!

Thanks mate, it’s a good Australian “performance piece” couldn’t let it go to waste.

As for the deck, not so much. Gets used more for moving heavy stuff these days. Haha

GELS wrote:
This car just gets better and betterer! I have been thinking of asking a local exhaust maker to see if he could replicate a Lukey for me...

I’ve got another change to do to it before it’s “finished” for an upcoming show, pics will come.

As for a lukey been made, have u got one to copy from? My 4 tip was quoted about 1k to be replicated, it’s a bit of an odd one, it has five chambers three hot to cooler which is obviously packed With fibreglass, Not equal length primaries like a standard exhaust either.
GELS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

I wish I did have one to copy from, that would be the ultimate! I was thinking maybe a mix of a Vintage Speed Stainless and the Lukey style tail pipes. I didn't realize they were so complicated inside Sad Got the Monaro kit just about ready to go though Very Happy
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

GELS wrote:
I wish I did have one to copy from, that would be the ultimate! I was thinking maybe a mix of a Vintage Speed Stainless and the Lukey style tail pipes. I didn't realize they were so complicated inside Sad Got the Monaro kit just about ready to go though Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here’s a couple of photos of the two different style Lukey I have, the four tip has the primary is going into the ends with a single perforated tube meeting up in the middle hot chamber running through a couple of baffled cooler sections on the muffler. Not sure what the performance is like to not having equal length primaries But I’ll get onto repairing that one soon
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

Needed some bars, found these years ago on a twin wheeled 60bug. Been wondering what to do with them for years, now I know. Haha

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

"Roo-bars"???

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

Those bars look very sturdy, but with their height will allow them to tip towards the body very easily if pushed against simply due to the high leverage. Have you thought about taking some 1" steel flat stock bars, clamping them to the top of the bars, and leading them to a fender mounting bolt between the body and the fender? The support bars would need to be long enough to reach a fender bolt about 1/3 up the flange. Having that support bar between the fender and the body will create a small gap above and below the bar, but you could fill that gap with strips of closed-cell black foam/weatherstripping.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

Imagine that coming up on your 6! It would look as if it was screaming “GET OUT OF MY WAY!”

Cool bumpers! Someone spent a decent amount of time on them. That has craftsmanship written all over it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Those bars look very sturdy, but with their height will allow them to tip towards the body very easily if pushed against simply due to the high leverage. Have you thought about taking some 1" steel flat stock bars, clamping them to the top of the bars, and leading them to a fender mounting bolt between the body and the fender? The support bars would need to be long enough to reach a fender bolt about 1/3 up the flange. Having that support bar between the fender and the body will create a small gap above and below the bar, but you could fill that gap with strips of closed-cell black foam/weatherstripping.

They originally came with some support brackets, but I don’t have the holes in the guard to run them and I don’t want to drill holes through the lever so I am looking at other way to run a support bar on them, they wobble a little bit but they are actually relatively sturdy so far. Mind you I haven’t driven anywhere with them, only got them on last night, I have bars in mind, just need to make them up
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

I dig the "Roo Bars."

That car screams "I dare you Roo," cross my path! Very Happy

The Deer here, always try to out run the front end of our cars and trucks.
Every time I see one (frequently) I slow down knowing that the damn Deer is gonna pass over the road in front of whatever I'm driving. Evil or Very Mad

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I dig the "Roo Bars."

That car screams "I dare you Roo," cross my path! Very Happy

The Deer here, always try to out run the front end of our cars and trucks.
Every time I see one (frequently) I slow down knowing that the damn Deer is gonna pass over the road in front of whatever I'm driving. Evil or Very Mad

That’s what the kangaroos over here do also, hop along the side of the car and then jump out in front of it, Generally, they make a mess of the front of the car unless you have bars on it Tough buggers too
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

Quote:
They originally came with some support brackets, but I don’t have the holes in the guard to run them and I don’t want to drill holes through the lever so I am looking at other way to run a support bar on them, they wobble a little bit but they are actually relatively sturdy so far.

You would not need to drill holes in the bars. Use a bolt-together clamp that goes around the bar's perimeter such as this for auxiliary lights (motorcycle accessory or other)-

Heat up the end of the support bar with a gas torch and twist it 90 degrees, since the bar needs to be in its "vertical" orientation as it goes forward to the fender attachment bolt. Drill a hole at the end of the support bar to insert a chromed bumper bolt through it and the clamp's "ear".
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

That’s a cool clamp, I have space issues with the bumper irons so made up some from left over pipe, stopped so much wobble on both ends! The front bumper was always angled forward, going to be easy parking by feel now! Haha

Then rolled around for outside pics, I think it suits it.

henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

Love it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

this oval gets cooler every time I look at this thread, great job!
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
NUG637
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Junkyard Dog 57 Oval. Reply with quote

I really dig it you lunatic Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Jump to:
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: