Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

make a 30hp manifold into a 25hp
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fugazi kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: make a 30hp manifold into a 25hp Reply with quote

i need a late 1950 split bug manifold,has anyone out there cut the ends off a 30hp manifold and welded on there 25hps ones. is this to good to be true,thay both look the same apart from the ends.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if you do the heat risers won't be correct.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier solution is to just "mill" the 36 hp ends to fit the 25hp heads. I have made a custom tool to do this. I am away from home right now but when I get home I can post a pic of it in this thread. You have to mill the endcasting OD down from 1.25" to 1.125" or around 29mm I believe. If you do this to a "701E" intake it will be fairly indistinguishable from the "701" 25 intake used in '52. See the intake matrix at zarwerks.com tech section. If you have an earlier car that is supposed to have K manifold it will look significantly different but it will work....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fugazi kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: split manifold Reply with quote

thanks john for your time on this,that tool sounds great,and a cheaper way on doing it,its better than paying $450 +pp for a repro! .ps how does this tool work.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
the "701" 25 intake used in '52.

It was? I thought we cleared that up a few years ago. You even adopted my argument into your intake reference?

"The common theory is that this intake was made coincident with the 701E, but with 25 end castings, and was VWs “replacement part” for all 25 hp engines who had thin walled heat riser intakes and suffered dangerous heat riser perforation."

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
the "701" 25 intake used in '52.

It was? I thought we cleared that up a few years ago. You even adopted my argument into your intake reference?

"The common theory is that this intake was made coincident with the 701E, but with 25 end castings, and was VWs “replacement part” for all 25 hp engines who had thin walled heat riser intakes and suffered dangerous heat riser perforation."

Oh yeah, you are right Chris. Brain fart there....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pics. Its a hole saw with the pilot bit replaced with a smooth high carbon steel shank on which is a wooden "cork" and spring.

The tool is chucked in a drill press and lowered into the bottom face of the endcasting. The cork centers in the casting hole, and the then the spring compresses allowing the saw to mill the outside of the casting. It works very well, but getting the intake clamped into a custom jig to hold it under the press at the correct position is a whole 'nother issue!!

The one in the pics had tooth section broken off, I have since replaced it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Lazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: make a 30hp manifold into a 25hp Reply with quote

Hello,
I dig this thread to know if anybody ever tried to install a 25hp manifold onto a 30hp ?
All the topics I find are about the opposite swap.

I want my 30hp to be 25hp look alike. I have everything sorted (tins, shroud, fuel pump, D regulator, 383...Etc etc) but the K manifold.

It looks like the 25hp manifold sit quite OK on the 30hp heads so I wonder if the small difference of diameter between 25 and 30hp can be compensate by the aluminium seal ? anybody tried already ?

Thanks Very Happy
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: make a 30hp manifold into a 25hp Reply with quote

IIRC there was someone on here a couple of years ago who was lamenting poor performance with his 36hp engine....the cause turned out to be the replacement 25hp manifold installed on it. The reduced manifold cross-section and/or leaks at the head sealing rings were the culprit.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: make a 30hp manifold into a 25hp Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
IIRC there was someone on here a couple of years ago who was lamenting poor performance with his 36hp engine....the cause turned out to be the replacement 25hp manifold installed on it. The reduced manifold cross-section and/or leaks at the head sealing rings were the culprit.

There is no difference in the cross section of the manifold. The tubing is still the same. 36hp manifolds use the same tubing on the induction side. If you look at the inside where the end castings are attached, the tubing has actually been tapered to mate to the slightly larger 36hp head intake opening.

You will end up with a mismatch in this area though so that could cause a problem.

Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: make a 30hp manifold into a 25hp Reply with quote

I stand corrected.....there is indeed a tapered section in the 36hp manifolds that I checked. It's very nicely done too. So, leaks were more likely the culprit in the case that I posted about.
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: make a 30hp manifold into a 25hp Reply with quote

Lazaa wrote:
Hello,
I dig this thread to know if anybody ever tried to install a 25hp manifold onto a 30hp ?
All the topics I find are about the opposite swap.

I want my 30hp to be 25hp look alike. I have everything sorted (tins, shroud, fuel pump, D regulator, 383...Etc etc) but the K manifold.

It looks like the 25hp manifold sit quite OK on the 30hp heads so I wonder if the small difference of diameter between 25 and 30hp can be compensate by the aluminium seal ? anybody tried already ?

Thanks Very Happy

I had a customer who had a 1953 beetle wanted a "built" 36hp engine but looking like a stock 25hp but wanted all the 25hp looking tin.
Easy! I modified the 36hp heads and now, the engine will accept all the 25hp tin including the 36hp looking, 25hp intake manifold!
I also did the same to a 36hp Okrasa engine I built. Enjoy! Mr. Okrasa

1953 "Singleport Sleeper"

1944 Okrasa

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: