Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914 wheels
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: 914 wheels Reply with quote

Does anyone here run 2 liter wheels on their Type 4? I'll probably be ending up with a 412 soon and I have a line on some OG wheels but I don't want to buy them if they won't work. Like this, only not repops.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should have room... that is a big wheel well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will fit but have a different offset or backspace than stock. Make a gauge to measure how far from the outside edge of the fender well your stockers sit. Ray
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil, I have a set of 914 sport wheels on my 412, 5.5X15 ET40's and they clear the strut assembly and ball joint. What are the specs on your 2L's?
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 wheels Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
Does anyone here run 2 liter wheels on their Type 4? I'll probably be ending up with a 412 soon and I have a line on some OG wheels but I don't want to buy them if they won't work. Like this, only not repops.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That brings up a question. How much different/worse are the repops than the originals? They are cast I know. Other than finish (something icould correct myself) are there any negatives to go along with the cast 914 2.0L alloys? Ray
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real are forged, repros are case. They're heavier and don't have the smae offset.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn.
I guess what I am asking is that yes....now knowing the difference is forged vs cast....I am aware of those particular differences with cast versus forged.
.....and...the offset I can correct for. The extra weight sucks...but is not a large problem with my suspension stiffness.
.....but are there any actual problems with these wheels for a street car with some limited spirited driving....i.e......do they flex too much? do they crack too easily? do they stay straight etc. Ray
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheels were delivered to me today. Turns out they are American Eagle repops. Oh well, I've got less than $100 into them with good tires. I'll run them anyway, if I ever do get the 412,

FU#3
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought two of the EMPI 15 x 5 1/2 repros last fall. Back set was perfect for the Type 4 and quality seems good. They run very true, probably within a few thousandths of an inch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: