Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding Cooling Fins to Aftermarket Heads
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: cooling Reply with quote

The problem is NOT really from a lack of cooling air...the stock doghouse fan is more than adequate. I don't think adding more cooling air would help the CE/SF heads become true street/long distance/long durability heads. The problem is the lack of fins on the CE and SF heads.

It's less of an issue with the 044/stock heads, as they already have lots of fins unless you go super high on CR, etc.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust fins Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
ALB wrote:
"...and they've also removed the fins on the exhaust ports, which helps cool the heads."

Neil- Could you explain? Sounds counterintuitive to me.

Hi Al,

The exhaust fins were deleted, because JPM says the purpose should be to get rid of the heat via the exhaust gases, not transfer heat to the head.

I've got a real problem with this statement given the near 90 degree turn just beneath the exhaust seat, in fact I've found the opposite to be true, by adding fin area above the exhaust port in heads with little or no fin surface area head temps ran noticably and consistantly lower (15-18%) especially at sustained highway speeds.
I must add I have not had an opportunity to make the same comparison with the JPM part.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exhaust port area is the area where the head is hottest, no matter what. Not having fins in this area makes no sense to me. The reason why 911, 4 Cam Carrera, Type 4, Pinzgauer and Corvair heads all have bottom exiting exhaust ports is so the area can be heavily finned for at least 320 degrees of the surrounding real estate at the exhaust port.

Of course in the 1/4 mile what JPM states has more merit, but in a situation where thermal overloading and thermal conductivity matter most, it makes no sense.

Cooling capability is the key and that comes from more cooling surface area as well as fins that are long, thin and properly placed.

Face it, adding fins cost money and lots of it during development.. The more fins the more complicated the mold and the more machine work thats necessary. Thats the reason why the majority of performance heads don't have any cooling fins placed around the exhaust ports. It is a perfect place for some nice heat sinks, though.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: exhaust fins Reply with quote

Those are interesting comments about exhaust fins. Different heads or engine types have varying characteristics, that's for sure.

I will say this about the JPM heads. They've been available for seven years, in Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Germany and the rest of Europe. There are numerous users who build high performance engines with these heads and then use them as daily drivers. As I stated above, it is not unusual for some of them to drive 500-700 km across Europe, throw on the slicks, race their 11-second Beetle, and then drive home. They also perform well on the autobahn and some of the HP/TQ readings are very impressive...especially on small displacement motors. Check youtube.com for JPM, if you're interested.

I haven't found anyone who claims to be able to do this with a CE/SF head. Some have done it for a short time, but eventually over-heating problems seem to arise. I will report my results as the miles pile up...

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very familiar with the heads from JPM.. We've put down over 500 RWHP with a set of them on my chassis dyno.

I wonder how many of the countries listed has areas with 92 days in a row with a high of over 90*F? The operating environment that we have in the US is much different than that of the majority of Europe. Its hotter by 0900 in the morning in most parts of the USA during summer than the high temperature will be in the majority of Europe. Remember a few years ago when it hit 90F in London and people were dying of heat exhaustion a dozen per day??

At any rate, I don't believe that there is any substitute for cooling fins and their placement at the hottest portion of the heads is key.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few schools of thought on exhaust port cooling

On the one hand, you don't WANT to cool the exhaust port. Cooling the exhaust port is just putting more heat into your cooling system and not helping anything. If you could LET that part of the head run hotter that would be ok, or insulate with an insert in the port that works as an insulator, that is fine, a half dozen engines DO have "port insulators"
Also some engines make the port as short as possible. You don't have to cool the header. Some heads allow the port to project out by itself and minimize the connection to the rest of the head.

But on the other hand, the port by it's nature is connected to the head, and you don't want-
A that area getting so hot it's expansion pulls the rest of the head out of shape and screws it up
B-that area flowing heat into the rest of the head where you don't want it.

So the theory is sound, but your dammed if you do and dammed if you dont

flathead fords warm up fast Wink
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: temperature Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
I am very familiar with the heads from JPM.. We've put down over 500 RWHP with a set of them on my chassis dyno.

I wonder how many of the countries listed has areas with 92 days in a row with a high of over 90*F? The operating environment that we have in the US is much different than that of the majority of Europe. Its hotter by 0900 in the morning in most parts of the USA during summer than the high temperature will be in the majority of Europe. Remember a few years ago when it hit 90F in London and people were dying of heat exhaustion a dozen per day??

At any rate, I don't believe that there is any substitute for cooling fins and their placement at the hottest portion of the heads is key.

Um, since when does a 90-degree F ambient temperature have a major detrimental effect on an aircooled engine? The heads run at 250-350 degrees, so that 90-degree air is "cooling" the heads just fine! I've driven through Death Valley in July, as well as over 20 cross continent trips in the heat of summer...and the head and oil temp gauge readings vary only minimally.

If you're under load on a steep mountain grade, on a hot summer day, then yeah, you can get the temps up and tax the cooling system a bit more. In most cases, if the engine is overheating, then you've built your engine with too high a CR, tuned it poorly, etc...

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: temperature Reply with quote

Quote:
Um, since when does a 90-degree F ambient temperature have a major detrimental effect on an aircooled engine? The heads run at 250-350 degrees, so that 90-degree air is "cooling" the heads just fine! I've driven through Death Valley in July, as well as over 20 cross continent trips in the heat of summer...and the head and oil temp gauge readings vary only minimally

The difference in ambients can most certainly be an influence on cht it's effect can be seen in higher or lower intake charge temperatures which have a corresponding relationship to head and piston/cylinder heat, how could it not?
in fact my experience has been that there is an almost balanced increase in both head and oil temps (slightly more so with oil percentage wise) related to degree of ambient changes. I will add that my gauging methods are not precise, only commonly used (multiple) onboard units, however they still reflect notable changes in driving environments.
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1432...what you're talking about is just called "Heat Rise" in lab testing parlance. Basically, the oil will rise 'X' number of degrees over ambient temps, say....110* when a given number of BTU's is added to it. SO when it's 50* outside the oil will reach about 160* and if the temp is 100* outside (ambient temp) then the oil will reach 210*. Think of ambient in terms of BTU's and it is simple addition.

That is just a lab type example but in the real world of jetting, engine load, cooling system efficiencies and such those numbers (which I just pulled out of the ambient air Laughing ) would vary greatly as you are adding and subtracting BTU's at various rates. The basic idea holds true that increased ambient temps will raise final running temps. It's all about energy and some clever guy said it's all relative.....and it certainly is.

Every bit of this could be figured out mathematically if someone could model the ambient vs mass air flow in the cooling system and BTU change over fuel delivery vs mass air flow thru the engine and much more but who is going to do that....not ME!

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC,
That’s not really what I'm trying to say, my point is more along the lines of the intake cycle ambient air / fuel mixture’s internal cooling effects as it fills the cylinder exclusive of all other external cooling means. A very good example would be the use of alcohol base fuels in extended driving situations. Though gasoline fueled a/c engines will not experience this same degree of cooling influence as alcohol programs the ambient temp air/fuel relationship will still impact net operating temperatures to a measurable degree.
dawie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe apply a good thick insulating coating to the inside of the exhaust ports? Think Porsche used ceramic port liners on their last aircooled heads. (993 type).
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawie wrote:
Maybe apply a good thick insulating coating to the inside of the exhaust ports? Think Porsche used ceramic port liners on their last aircooled heads. (993 type).

I did consider the outside heat dissipation coating, piston top and chamber coating and exhaust port coating. I received a quote from Calico but just ended up coating my bearings only.
While the heads were getting reworked I asked but the service was unavailable at that location. I would have had to have them sent from west coast to east coat then back and returned to me in Maryland. It was just too much this go around.
I believe they would have benefitted though. Also, now that they are un-coated I can weld on them without destroying the coating.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine are coated in the ex ports& chambers,and the face of the intake valves and both sides of the exhaust valve.last time I checked the ex port with an ir gun it was 195 after a nice sunday floging then driving home,and the engine was ideling when checked. the heat was going out the exhaust where it should.but extra fins wont hurt.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting closer to completeing a set of heads for testing. So I decided to offer this option for the people who would like to run CE heads on the street without fear of overheat.
This is a "feeler" Ad to gauge interest; as I would need interest to go forward with a water-jetted batch of fins.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1199672
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Multiple fin addition is getting closer.

yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am offering this service to those wanting to run Competition Eliminator heads on the street with a lot more over-heat resistance.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1199672

baked beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that one fin drops the cylinder temp by............how much?
57' Theirs
63' Hers
62' Drag Bug - Theirs 13.1 @ 101 mph (GONE)
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baked beetle wrote:
So that one fin drops the cylinder temp by............how much?

This modification will be for at least 2 fins and extension of others in critical areas. In theory; Two fins should increase cooling ability by 25%.
The first heads are not complete yet so testing has not been done.
I also think this is a fairly relative question based on many variables. Every application will have a different temperature drop.
For reference, I will be running these on a 2498cc turbo Type 1 engine as proof of concept.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the part of the head under the rocker box?ex ports?or are you just add 2 to the cylinder end?there is a lot of heat on the other side of the chamber where there isant an fins.just a thought.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
what about the part of the head under the rocker box?ex ports?or are you just add 2 to the cylinder end?there is a lot of heat on the other side of the chamber where there isant an fins.just a thought.

I will be working on other areas; not just the two full fins. Development has been moving at a snails pace but moving none the less. I will keep everyone posted.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: