Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 514, 515, 516
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

A basically "dead" battery will generally make it very hard for a top-notch fully charged new battery to provide boost current to start the engine.

You need to search for the Voltage Regulator.

How long have you owned this bay?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Only the oil light is barely lite up, but it's weak. I'll take a look at the charge light situation.

The 70 bay is my son's. I have a 86 Vanagon, and don't have much insight into the older vans. But, understanding the difference between a generator and Alternator is a good start (sad but true).

Appreciate the feedback!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

thomast wrote:
Only the oil light is barely lite up, but it's weak. I'll take a look at the charge light situation.

The 70 bay is my son's. I have a 86 Vanagon, and don't have much insight into the older vans. But, understanding the difference between a generator and Alternator is a good start (sad but true).

Appreciate the feedback!

Clean and snug the battery terminal connectors if it "suddenly appears to go dead."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3am
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Could somebody tell me the purpose of "jail bars" that some buses have across the rear window? What are they for? Embarassed
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

3am wrote:
Could somebody tell me the purpose of "jail bars" that some buses have across the rear window? What are they for? Embarassed

Keeping angry piles of luggage from attacking the windows.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

3am wrote:

Attachment points for hand cuffs? Razz

Oh c'mon... you know y'all were thinking the same thing...

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

3am wrote:

hanging your socks to dry?
3am
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
3am wrote:

Keeping angry piles of luggage from attacking the windows.

Thank you. I knew it would be something that would be obvious once I was told, but couldn't quite get there by myself Rolling Eyes Laughing

The other suggestions are fun too! Very Happy
Aurilin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

stupid question: I've got a con rod bolt on my 81 Air Cooled Vanagon that's wanting to strip as I apply more torque trying to loosen it, is it ok to apply heat to it to persuade it to loosen up or is that no bueno?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

A little heat won't damage anything, but hot enough to change it's color is bad.
Why not invest in a better socket?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Okay what am I missing here?
The light falls through the hole in my westy headliner, is there supposed to be a plate or wood holding it in?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
........ is there supposed to be a plate or wood holding it in?............

Yes, the OG wood headliner had a smallish (3" x 7"?) sheet metal plate on the back side of the plywood.

Слава Україні!
brass gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Here it is

And …

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Aurilin wrote:
stupid question: I've got a con rod bolt on my 81 Air Cooled Vanagon that's wanting to strip as I apply more torque trying to loosen it, is it ok to apply heat to it to persuade it to loosen up or is that no bueno?

30 seconds of propane heat on nut is fine and will loosen it up
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 514, 515, 516
Jump to:
Page 516 of 516

Jump to: