Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to buy complete OEM keyed lock set,1962?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DUNTOVFAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:10 am    Post subject: Where to buy complete OEM keyed lock set,1962? Reply with quote

I'd like to find an OEM set if that's possible. Ignition,both doors and a locked T handle for the rear deck.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy complete OEM keyed lock set,1962? Reply with quote

When you are told the price......you will probably change your mind.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy complete OEM keyed lock set,1962? Reply with quote

Keep in mind that even if you put a key lock on the passenger side, it will not be able to override the lock setting of the interior handle . So you'd have to be sure you never locked it from the inside I guess.

Myself, I would just not bother with a passenger side key.

My 62 ragtop came to me set up with the key factory matched for the ignition, driver door and decklid handle... but that is pretty rare to find.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DUNTOVFAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy complete OEM keyed lock set,1962? Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
When you are told the price......you will probably change your mind.

I've seen the prices of a 64 set,can't be off by too much.
rkobernik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy complete OEM keyed lock set,1962? Reply with quote

For my 1963, I purchased the three piece set from WW then went to the Samba classifieds and found keys that matched the SC configuration on the set and had a locksmith change the set to the correct VW keys. Not cheap but solved my problem of an after market non-VW ignition key and mismatched door key (which was the original).
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy complete OEM keyed lock set,1962? Reply with quote

I have a NOS T handle with the two VW stamped keys.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy complete OEM keyed lock set,1962? Reply with quote

I carry a fire extinguisher for engine fires, Id hate to be delayed in using it do to a locked engine lid. Is engine theft a thing?
If I park in a questionable spot, i will remove the rotor and keep it in my pocket.
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy complete OEM keyed lock set,1962? Reply with quote

Contact Gabriel:

https://gabvwkey.com

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy complete OEM keyed lock set,1962? Reply with quote

In my experience, Gabriel (GabVWKey) is the ONLY stop for VW keys.
He has provided NOS keys for all the VW's I have owned.
He did my 71 Super, my 77 Westy, and when it came time for my 64 Beetle he was the only stop.

Now, I should warn you - as other have - you are venturing into a pricey undertaking. With my 64, I had the original key still and it was important to me that I be able to still use that key. 64 saw a mid-year change in the door handles and the keyways so finding a set of NOS handles that were correct for my 64 wasn't easy... Gabriel had a set, and his price reflected their condition and the scarcity of the part. I also bought a NOS ignition switch, and three NOS Huff Key blanks all cut to code.

If this is for a car you plan to keep, Gabriel is a WORTHY investment in the usability of your car. I have NO regrets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: