Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jlindsey9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Newbie to earlier models. I just picked this 60 up today.

I was checking the numbers. It seems if im reading things correctly the numbers look good 2780133, looks to have been a Dec 59 production. My question is on the engine number, 2482039, looks like an August 58 production? Would that align with an original 60 model?

Thanks in advance

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

As you saw in the charts, the engine pre-dates your car by over a year.
Nice looking car, congrats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jlindsey9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

House wrote:
As you saw in the charts, the engine pre-dates your car by over a year.
Nice looking car, congrats.

thank you much, I guess my question is ...is it similar to how the chassis numbers were produced the year before the actual year or vehicle or do i simply have a 59 engine in my 60 ?

thanks for the compliment on the car!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Yes, you have a '59 engine in your '60.

The chassis #s weren't made a year earlier, I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Maybe you are saying that your car was built in 12/59 but it's a 1960 model?
This is normal because the 1960 model year started in 8/1959.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jlindsey9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Thanks, that's what I was asking. Appreciate your help man!

Does having the 59 in a 60 impact value of the car?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Jlindsey9 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Thanks, that's what I was asking. Appreciate your help man!

Does having the 59 in a 60 impact value of the car?

I would say No.

If you had the original engine I personally think that adds value but some people disagree.

If you had a month/year 1960 engine that matched the month/year of the VIN # but was not the factory original, that would be neat but not sure it would add any value either.

Regardless of the year of the engine case, having it look "1960 correct" I feel also adds some value. It shows some attention to detail to have the right 1960 fuel pump, and so on, especially since you have such a nice looking car.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
innocenti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

doveblue3 wrote:
Danam404 wrote:
Anyone good enough to help me sort through my elf green/como green conundrum?

I have a pair of running board mats I bought for my '61 turkis that I believed to be elf green. Bought them from a guy in Hungary.

A few days ago, I bought a set of NOS mats that gentleman from NJ had, and had them labeled as como green. I wanted these for my 63 turkis ragtop.

Well, when they showed up, they appear to be exactly the same. So... do I have two como mat sets or two elf green mat sets?

To further muddy the waters, I have a set of new wolfsburg running boards that are supposed to be como green. So if those board are accurate, I definitely have 2 sets of elf. But who knows how good the reproductions are?

Aaaaand to even further complicate the matter, I have one running board mat that appears to be como green... but it does not feature a VW part number. The gentleman who I bought it from said he had it on a shelf since the 70's, and believed it to be NOS... but I think all the VW ones had the part number.

So, the first photo are my two NOS mats that are either elf or como. The second photo, green is the european mats, red is the wolfsburg mats, and yellow is the mystery mat.

Anyone good enough to tell me what I have, or have some photos of some NOS of either color to compare?

I am quasi in the same boat with 2 1961's, one a turkis car, the other pastel blue. I am also in St. Pete.

Please see below - mats installed on car were NOS parts installed 4 months ago and based on earlier posts in this thread I believe them to be elf green. They are definitely different than WW como green. Mat laying on top is also an NOS mat that I recently purchased as a glacier blue mat and as you can see in the close up, it says glacier blue on it. Maybe you have some of those too? If thats the case, lets talk.

Hi . My 61 had did the runner mats missing , great find those I'm stuck with the black at present . My 61 still has the correct hydrate green steering wheel ,e brake lever , steering column etc . Do you have a source for this colour shown ? Thanks
innocenti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Here I send you some pictures of an all original 1960 turquoise car. One of the first of the 61 model year.
VW never used two different names for the same thing. So for the colour-orgy they celebrated at that time you can be sure, it is almost not possible to get anything as new repros for these car, when you try to get it absolutely stock. Not the carpet, not the floor rubber mats, not the hand brake boot, not the door cardsor seat covers... it is impossible. All you can do is looking for original parts.

I have the same car Although in RhD and havevthe ice blue vinyl interior
innocenti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

SteveW wrote:
pastellgreen wrote:
SteveW wrote:
I have a quick question regarding the hood badge (VW logo). When I bought my '61 it was missing the hood badge so I picked up a reproduction badge and some clips, recently I purchased an NOS badge but unfortunately no clips, the reproduction ones I have don't fit (both from an old UK company and Wolfsburg West) and i'm not sure what the real ones look like and if anywhere sells them, either NOS or repro, as long as they fit! If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great!

Thanks

It depends on the built date of your car. Originally, the model year 1961 started with the same badge from the oval era with 4 tabs without clips. During the model year they switched to 3 clip badge, that still had the same look as before. In 1962 they switched to also a 3 clip badge but with a redesigned look. I don't know what you have there and I am unsure, if the last two 3-clip badges share the same hole pattern:

glutamodo wrote:
Cool, it's a 61. Cool
The hood emblem changed during 1961. What I've dubbed the "1962 hood" started during 1961. I call it that because it was the only hood used for model year 62, but it started a few months before that and lasted a couple of months after. Jan 2nd 1961 is when they changed from 4 tabs to three pins. And October 62 is when the emblem got slightly larger and the mounting area on the hood was "punched up"

Good point! Mine is May ‘61 so it’s the early 3 pin.

Hi
My RHD 61 was also missing its correct 3 pin early badge ,I found mine NOS from Chris at VW emporium . Give him a shout see if he had a source ?
innocenti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Tarbaby wrote:

I’ve had this 61 for a few years now, just sitting in my dusty shop. Just need to find time between other projects for a restoration.

Cool Cool Cool
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Here’s my 61. Vin 3339547. Just starting in on it. Working on the pan. Looking for a Turn signal switch. Original engine case rotted, note exposed bolt

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Not sure when this was added to the archive but has a lot of info on interior and wheel colors

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/8_60_color_book.php
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:
As far as the fender nuts, I have two ‘60 in my possession and both cars have different fender nuts on the front from side to side. The rear match on both sides but the fronts are different. Thought it was odd. Neither vehicle had been hit and they were both original bodies. Can anyone explain this or have the same discovery?

Thanks.

I made a similar discovery today on an April 1960 Euro Deluxe still in original paint. The driver's side front quarter has the old style captive nuts that are spot welded in, but the passenger front has the later press-in square type captive nuts.

A moment of panic as I thought that the quarter panel might have been replaced, but no, it is original. It is weird because it is a '60 only quarter without holes for a '59 headlight conduit metal tube, and the pressing is correct for the '60 fuel tank, (not the flatter '61) yet it has the '61 style captive nuts.

Maybe VW was already installing and testing some of the new '61 style captive nuts in '60. (There are other examples of VW testing changes like this in advance, instead of having a hard cut-over date). If the old style captive nuts are found on a '61, then the switchover was gradual indeed.

Progressive Refinements seems to be silent on this matter.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
soupcups wrote:
As far as the fender nuts, I have two ‘60 in my possession and both cars have different fender nuts on the front from side to side. The rear match on both sides but the fronts are different. Thought it was odd. Neither vehicle had been hit and they were both original bodies. Can anyone explain this or have the same discovery?

Thanks.

I made a similar discovery today on an April 1960 Euro Deluxe still in original paint. The driver's side front quarter has the old style captive nuts that are spot welded in, but the passenger front has the later press-in square type captive nuts.

A moment of panic as I thought that the quarter panel might have been replaced, but no, it is original. It is weird because it is a '60 only quarter
without holes for a '59 headlight conduit metal tube, and the pressing is correct for the '60 fuel tank, (not the flatter '61) yet it has the '61 style captive nuts.

Maybe VW was already installing and testing some of the new '61 style captive nuts in '60. (There are other examples of VW testing changes like this in advance, instead of having a hard cut-over date). If the old style captive nuts are found on a '61, then the switchover was gradual indeed.

That’s crazy- my 61 has the same front fender set up and I always thought it was from an accident. I’d always point out what a fantastic job the rebuilder - “it looks factory “. Jokes on me.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
Zwitterkafer wrote:
soupcups wrote:

Thanks.

A moment of panic as I thought that the quarter panel might have been replaced, but no, it is original. It is weird because it is a '60 only quarter
without holes for a '59 headlight conduit metal tube, and the pressing is correct for the '60 fuel tank, (not the flatter '61) yet it has the '61 style captive nuts.

That’s crazy- my 61 has the same front fender set up and I always thought it was from an accident. I’d always point out what a fantastic job the rebuilder - “it looks factory “. Jokes on me.

Same for my gulf blue from 4 / 1961.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Thanks gents, that is interesting indeed.

I wonder if an eagle-eyed customer ever asked the showroom salesperson about this back in the day.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30
Jump to:
Page 30 of 30

Jump to: