Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:
MANNAXMAN wrote:
Sounds more and more like a '60 body on a '61 pan if there is no guide tube on the pan for the choke cable. The VIN tag could have been moved from the '61 body when it was swapped to the '61 pan.

Thats why I asked if the body vin had rivets or screws. I think original rivets would set the record straight.

The small VIN tags were held on by aluminum pop rivets at least from late calendar year 1960, so they'd be easy to swap. If the body is from early-mid 1960 model year, the rivet holes from the large tag should still be visible.
likestoparty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting topic. I'm in the process (almost done!) of readying my '60 for a trip from Washington, DC to Seattle, WA. My petcock was ready for the retirement home so we put a fuel guage-equipped fuel tap on my humpy '60 tank for the ferry flight across the US. So, inconvenient just became a series of cross-country surprises! Anyhoo, here's my question: will a '62 fuel tank with a sender fit in the '60 hole? I have the square gauge hole cutout already there in the dash. Since this is quite topical, is this correct?
So, check this out. We had a few days of head scratching why the rear wheel cylinders kept coming back the wrong part and Alex @ Metric Autohaus figured out I have entirely '57 brake components on the back. Weird, huh? I figure it must have happened in the 60s sometime because it doesn't make any sense since ovals became desirable as opposed to obsolete, you dig? When I acquired my '60 off the side of the road in Accokeek, MD 13 years ago I was firmly in love with my 1963 and thought '63 was the great year of the Beetle, but revisiting this '60 and its little quirks makes me think of it more like the '60/'61 Beetles being the ultimate culmination of the early-period Beetles. And there's something charming about that. Orange safety signals and seat belts are for wusses with no appreciation of art. Smile

Storage!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sleepy eyed and sloppy!

Clean!

I saw my stack of brand new Continentals in Metric Autohaus' foyer today, I personally have waited 13 years to get rid of those tacky whitewalls. Wiping the two-tone off will be next, after body rot, door hinges, fuel sitch, installing '70s 3-point VW seatbelts in the (gasp) new pans, etc, etc, etc, of course. Mere days till we set off, wish us luck!

Your pal,
Jon Darby[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the 61 up tank will not fit the 60 hump tank hole without MAJOR hacking. Its better to just order a new reserve tap or the rebuild kit from Wolfsburg West.

If you really want a gauge find an electric from a 55-60 ghia. Flat chrome rim on the gauge, sender is the correct size for the hump tank and if you are lucky you can get the tank too so you dont have to hack your OG tank.

You can also use a modern VDO gauge with a 62-67 bus sender. The sender is not the correct height and will not reach the bottom of the tank but at least you will know when you have 1/4 of a tank left, plus you still have the reserve tap if you forget.
likestoparty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artic White wheel colors

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=467562

kevinh94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all Im not new to the vw world but I was just searchin the forums when I came across this sticky. I really would like to know how to read my vin. I dont understand how you know all this info from the vin. I have tried matchin up my vin but I just can figure it out and I woul really like to know what my did and did not come with fromt he factory.

I have a 1960 Beetle, with a 40hp engine. I don't beleive it to be stock but I did read some 60's came with them. Although it is electric choke and I have a manual pull choke cable left of my ashtray.

I also know it was a Las Vegas Car as well cuz I found an old piece of paper in it documenting it as such and its sun beat to hell.

Any help would be much appreciated.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stock choke cable would be to the right of the ash tray the ignition switch is to the left.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevinh94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
A stock choke cable would be to the right of the ash tray the ignition switch is to the left.

Yeah i know My mistake but correcting me dont answer my question. Of all I posted all you got out if it was that i said my choke was on the left???

Come on I came here for help to be corrected. If you dont have the answer please dont post or go correct someone else.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinh94 wrote:
Hey all Im not new to the vw world but I was just searchin the forums when I came across this sticky. I really would like to know how to read my vin. I dont understand how you know all this info from the vin. I have tried matchin up my vin but I just can figure it out and I woul really like to know what my did and did not come with fromt he factory.

I have a 1960 Beetle, with a 40hp engine. I don't beleive it to be stock but I did read some 60's came with them. Although it is electric choke and I have a manual pull choke cable left of my ashtray.

I also know it was a Las Vegas Car as well cuz I found an old piece of paper in it documenting it as such and its sun beat to hell.

Any help would be much appreciated.

You can only find out specific info on your car by ordering a Birth Certificate from the VW museum.

No 1960 BEETLES came with 40 hp engines from the factory. Starting in Aug 60 (1961 model year) the 40 hp were installed. The fact you have a manual choke verifies it originally came with a 36 hp engine.

Click on the technical tab on the upper right for all the info you need on your car.

POST SOME PICS
Zekes'Low60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Some might not have been so nice. Laughing

If you would post your VIN someone might help you out...or if you are handy with numbers and charts.....figure it out yourself. Rolling Eyes

VIN #s for Type 1s....er...uh....BUGS/Beetles http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

Birth Certificate info....... Its an old topic and in the Ghia forum but all BCs come from same place.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95862&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

62 'Vert basketcase....."Tetnus"
62 Dragcar/ProStreet project....."Muffdiver"
kevinh94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the help. Yeah I figured as much on the cable or I was thinking someone may have just swapped carbs but still I was unsure.

VIN Is 2606755.

Other then a cig lighter I don't see that my car had a lot of factory accessories. I looked at the vin identifier on the site but I couldn't figure it out.

Ill look into gettin a BC
Zekes'Low60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 631 447 was the last car made in Sept, so your car was made sometime in Sept.....maybe the last week.

The BC would tell you the exact day it rolled off the line and any options it had from the factory...exterior/interior color,whitewalls, etc.... but no dealer installed items.

62 'Vert basketcase....."Tetnus"
62 Dragcar/ProStreet project....."Muffdiver"
kevinh94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet man thanks. I will buy one shortly
kevinh94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I got it. The chart shows the last beetle-vin given in that month, so my vin started as 2 606 which of course was before 631. It is a true 60 and my title is correct. I have yet to title and register the car but its nice to know I wont have any problems when I do.

I was actually goin to find a 36 for my car so its true to the factory specs. But I ran out of money to do so. I will once I come back from deployment. I have a friend that has one for 200 that runs will no problems.

Here are some pics

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff180/kevinh94/60%20Beetle/

Later down the road I plan to give it some paint. I'm goin to try and find some paint close to whats already on the car. I have plans of dropping it as low as I can and still drive it safely. Get more power and new trans (Freeway Flyer).

I will update pics shortly
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinh94 wrote:
tasb wrote:

Yeah i know My mistake but correcting me dont answer my question. Of all I posted all you got out if it was that i said my choke was on the left???

Come on I came here for help to be corrected. If you dont have the answer please dont post or go correct someone else.

There are tons of posts on here about reading the vin tables and even a sticky on the topic. You do say "ANY" help would be appreciated. I've seen lots of VW's with the switches mixed up or non existent.

Sorry if I stomped on yah it was not intentional.

Nice looking project; should keep you busy for awhile.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swagen60beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics of m 60 when i got it it had a few things wrong like the engine and tranny were missing and replaced with later units. I have put a 57 column with a REAL banjo from a hebmuller in it. I have been collecting all the parts since i got it to restore it. Here is a little story about my car that i have found out over time and from tracking people down. When it was ordered it was ordered flint gray, with Steel gray leatherette. Black vinyl rag top. When the car got to the dealer the guy that ordered it decided he wanted an okrasa installed so he ended up with the stock engine as a spare. At some point when he sold the car the okrasa, the original engine and the crash box were removed. After i got the car from the 3rd owner i didn't know anything about this car. Then i decided to find out all the info on the car starting with owners. I knew who the 3rd was but the rest were a mystery. The 3rd owner told me where he got the car and the guys first name but no luck looking. Then jump forward about a yr later. Im at a swap meet and there is the guy with 4 36hp engine and one was an okrasa and a crash box tranny. I asked him what he wanted for all of it and told him what i had. He told me that the okrasa and crash box had come from a 60 rag top. Then when he gave me his name it clicked. I asked him where he was from and what the car looked like. Turned out i had his car. He said he didn't want to go home with any of it and just really wanted gas money. He really didn't know what he had he had heard from a friend about the swap meet. I again asked how much and he said man since you got my old car $20 and you can have it all. That is the fastest i have ever handed $20 bucks over. Here are some pics from 2007 of my baby.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevinh94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are my most recent pics of my 60. It isn't much but Ive been visiting family before deployment. I can wait to bag my suspension and get some paint on it and a bigger engine.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mango 60s are SEXY!!
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an old picture of my Mango '60 Sunroof, known as "Doug":

I'm going to have to go and look up my VIN, but I can tell you that I did get the birth certificate for it years ago, and if I recall correctly, the production date was December 25, 1959.

Have owned Doug since the '80s, and it's great fun to pull him out an drive him around in the summer.

Lately I've been running another set of wheels & tires I did up for Doug just a couple of years ago--two tone body color and a nicely contrasting shade of purple (I got the idea from a house in my area that is purple with green shutters--it kinda works), with a scrounged-together set of Michelin XZX's, 165R15:

http://home.comcast.net/~shorelinesteve/60VWNHPO27Jun11Car1k.JPG
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres link to my pretty well documented 60'

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=461903

61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

"every one wants to reinvent the wheel, but nobody knows how to make it round"

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 30

Jump to: