Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to install a 58 and a 59 Ghia horn ring
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good morning Loren! The contact rings are beautiful! They're perfect! I was so excited to install it, so early last week, I took a break from my work vacation of sanding, staining, and resealing all of the floors in my old house and went out to the garage, put everything together, hooked the battery up, turned on the key and................................................................nothing.
I'm missing something. That contact ring is not contacting the steer shaft. So I removed the wire from the contact ring and touched the screws that hold down the chromed horn ring - horn sounds. Maybe I have something backwards? Check out the pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you clean the depressions in the steering wheel hub where the springs sit? These depressions need to be clean because the springs ground the horn ring. Often when a steering wheel is restored the hub is not masked off and paint gets into the spring depressions. Can you see if the horn ring is making contact with the brass ring when the horn ring is depressed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I looked, those holes were clean but I'll recheck tomorrow. Would it make any difference if the horn ring was re-chromed? Not sure how well chrome plating conducts electricity... Confused
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chrome will conduct electricity just fine. If cleaning the depressions for the springs doesn't work let me know.
Shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. It's amazing how an oversight and a little cleaning can affect something so simple. Those holes where the springs seat into the steering wheel hub were caked with age old muck. All it took was a cleaning, down to the bare metal and a re-assembly. Horn works! Thanks Loren!
boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the plastic inserts and molded them. They are made out of resin.
I will have them if anyone needs. Thanks Geoff
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post some pics? especially one with the brass ring installed?
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some little potential progress has been made on the grounding rings for the 59 Ghia horn ring. I got the blanks back from the plastic shop a few weeks ago. Here is an example of how they turned out.

I just sent the blanks off to the machine shop to see if they can drill the other holes and mill the blank to the correct profile. I should know in a week if they can do the job. I will keep posting updates as they come in.
Shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more piece to the puzzle! Very Happy
Shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else ever notice a number stamping on the inner rim of the hub? It looks like I have a 7-9-...on the top of mine. I'm sure it's just a part number. But my REAL question is, does anyone know what the little teeny tiny holes are for on the hub at 1:00 and 7:00? Maybe something for machining purposes?
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a limited run of 58 Ghia brass contact rings made. If any one needs one to complete their 58 Ghia steering wheel let me know. I still have the 59 Ghia grounding rings in the works and they should be done by the end of the summer. Now if we could get someone to make 58 Ghia metal horn ring covers we would be set!

here is the reproduction

an original ring is on the left with the reproduction on the right

the original ring is on the bottom with the reproduction on the top
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say hold Dannys bug hostage until he makes a die for the metal horn button. and make it adaptable for both years. I mean as long as we have him tied up LOL
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I showed a metal cover to Danny the other day and it is a difficult piece to make and would require a male/female die to press them out. He didn't think there was enough demand to break even on the reproduction costs, not to mention his time, especially since a fiberglass reproduction is already being produced in Poland and is for sale here on the Samba.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the glass button. Need to make adapters for my 59. I figured it was not cost effective, hence the need to hold his bug captive LOL.
A male die and hammer one out, then trim and finish would probably work also.
Nevada51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Removing a horn ring Reply with quote

So how does one go about removing a '58 horn ring? I can't figure out how to remove it!
Cam
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Removing a horn ring Reply with quote

Nevada51 wrote:
So how does one go about removing a '58 horn ring? I can't figure out how to remove it!
Cam

Three retaining screws and a ground.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nevada51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, I knew after posting that I should have been more specific Embarassed How do I get the metal horn ring cover off? There's two holes in it, but they don't appear to have screws there, and yet the metal cover is firmly in place.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevada51 wrote:
Thanks John, I knew after posting that I should have been more specific Embarassed How do I get the metal horn ring cover off? There's two holes in it, but they don't appear to have screws there, and yet the metal cover is firmly in place.

The '58 has only the two retaining screws:

If the screws are missing there is nothing to hold it in place...I'd lubricate around the edges and gently prise it away from the mount.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful a prior owner may have glued or used adhesive tapes. I have seen some weird stuff on these old VW LOL
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The metal covers are a tight fit. I insert a pen knife into one end and gently pry it off. Just a little force should be enough to ease it from the horn ring. Be sure the 2 screws are removed and as stated above check for any adhesive.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: