Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changing front defroster hoses.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dw_crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Changing front defroster hoses. Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have had a bug since I started driving. My current one is a 1960 Canadian Standard. It was 'restored' by me in 1986. Since then, there have been upgrades on various things.

One thing I never found a solution to was: How do you change the front window defroster hoses? Even the gurus up here, near me, have never found a good way short of a body off restore. SO, how does everyone change these hoses?

thanks
Dave Very Happy Question
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing front defroster hoses. Reply with quote

Heres a guess. Cut small opening at bottom of A pillar to access connection to heater channel and weld up opening ? Cant imagine how else youd get one of those hoses on the connection. Good luck.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing front defroster hoses. Reply with quote

Without cutting any metal, it comes down to sheer willpower and stubbornness to swap out the defroster hoses. It helps immensely if you have long arms and a decent threshold for pain.

Just a hint from my experience on the subject: make sure you remove all carpet nails in the vicinity you'll be working in.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing front defroster hoses. Reply with quote

Here is an excellent samba post about it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=442479

I did this for my 67 about 3 years ago and no problems
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing front defroster hoses. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's a bloody job for sure!

One of the worst jobs I have ever done on an ACVW.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Tugmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing front defroster hoses. Reply with quote

There’s a YouTube video of someone using a piece of 1-1/4” pvc. He cut a access hole at the bottom of the pillar. I think it could be done without cutting the hole. Todd
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Changing front defroster hoses. Reply with quote

I found what I think is an elegant solution, and got the idea here on TheSamba.
KDG1 posted a pic of an adapter he made using copper pipe:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/824266.jpg

I took the idea and realized they actually make a copper adapter in the correct sizes, 1.5 to a 1.25.

The 1.5” side slips nice and tight onto the stock paper tube. The 1.25 drops perfectly into the factory hole down in the heater channel. It’s still not EASY. But, it makes it possible to do without cutting an access hole. You drop the tube down and guide it into place using the existing access hole inside the car.

I did mine over 5 years ago, and I blow plenty of air on the stock system. Nothing has come dislodged.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Changing front defroster hoses. Reply with quote

I used a combo of blow gun and shop vac to get all remnants of the old hose out first. There was an existing hole on my '65 that looked factory, but it was quite small; I removed a plastic plug covering it. It helped with the cleaning blow/suction, and it let me visually confirm the hose was installed all the way down the metal sleeve. I made sure the hose was really pushed down, to keep it from coming loose. I cut the pieces a little long so if anything it would be pushed down harder.

All that said, I like the PVC/copper adapters/pipe solutions.
dw_crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing front defroster hoses. Reply with quote

Gents.....

Is anyone sure of the size of the cardboard tube used in a 60 beetle?

Dave
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing front defroster hoses. Reply with quote

Yes. Inner diameter is 32mm, or 1.25in.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Changing front defroster hoses. Reply with quote

A section of 1 1/4" EMT (thin wall electrical conduit) dropped down the 'hole' fits right over the outlet in the heater channel. Then use some flex heater hose to make the connection at the top. Not very 'focused' but you can get the idea.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scott.tagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Changing front defroster hoses. Reply with quote

I'll just add to the discussion on what I did on my 61 ragtop, as I saw it elsewhere on the samba. I used SCAT aircraft vent tubing: 1 1/4 ID, 2 ft long from Aircraft Spruce. $28 total with shipping. Small hands, patience, and remove the hood and hinges for best results. Look out for carpet nails/screws.

greglewi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing front defroster hoses. Reply with quote

I just did this. no access holes so I attached heat resistant foam block to some ABS pipe. Shoved that down in there so it makes a reasonable seal. Easy to attach the Y connectors that go to the heater flexi hose directly to the top of these pipes. The original plastic Y connector just slips right into 1 1/2 pipe [/img]
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing front defroster hoses. Reply with quote

I used semi-rigid radiator/coolant hose, put a piece of pipe in it near the top, and finished it to the defroster vent connection with the paper VW hose.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: