Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone still driving their VW daily?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Hardships of DD in the PNW winter. With no heater its pretty undrivable even with rain and fog X on the glass so driving with windows down or cracked is required.

New wish list item to add is a new diesel heater so the kids wont freeze

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yup, I ordered one a few days ago. Expecting delivery next Saturday. Then the fun begins, with the installation.

Brian_e suggested making a coffee can plenum of some sort to split the heat between the windshield defrost and and blowing heat into the cabin under the dash.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I drove my '59 to anoter brand car meet in Orange, Ca. this morning, right after I got there the skies opened up .

I was as always, warm & toasty with only my stock 'stale air' heater going, no door seals, no headliner .

Nothing like driving an old VW in inclement weather .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Yup, one on order here too. I plan on putting it behind the rear seat and connect it to a spare heater Y from a bus and plumb into the heater ducts. Since its early there is no rear heat so it will just be front foot and defrost. Im dreading the bermuda triangle with all the carpet nails as I have to replace the defrost tubes. Maybe just cut a access hole and save a quart of blood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Yup, one on order here too. I plan on putting it behind the rear seat and connect it to a spare heater Y from a bus and plumb into the heater ducts. Since its early there is no rear heat so it will just be front foot and defrost. Im dreading the bermuda triangle with all the carpet nails as I have to replace the defrost tubes. Maybe just cut a access hole and save a quart of blood

BTDT, I really dislike replacing the A pillar defrost tubes.

Ouch!

Although, I like Brian_e's coffee can plenum idea. I've been eye balling a large refried beans can I have in my pantry. Sick Very Happy It seems more suitable for the planned heat/defrost system I have in mind.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:09 pm    Post subject: Slight Topic Drift : Defroster Tubes Reply with quote

Okay, I see the steel ones are available, how do I go about removing the old paper ones ? .

I don't want to pull on it and have it ri and leave ay deep where I can't reach it....

Please share your stories everyone .

TIA,

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Slight Topic Drift : Defroster Tubes Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:
Okay, I see the steel ones are available, how do I go about removing the old paper ones ? .

I don't want to pull on it and have it ri and leave ay deep where I can't reach it....

Please share your stories everyone .

TIA,

4th post down in this thread,
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8908891&highlight=#8908891
I did an install of the A pillar defrost tube on one side of a POS 67 that I have.
Hopefully your car has the access hole in the A pillar like the later bugs did. Otherwise, you're gonna have to cut an access hole to get the defrost tube onto the heater channel.

VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:35 am    Post subject: Remove Defroster Hoses ? Reply with quote

Thank you but I'm not willing to cut any holes in this old survivor .

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

The joy of a daily! Squatch Raceway on the north 10.

Link

Wishlist update: Mud tires for the rear so I can sling some of this greasy clay!!
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
The joy of a daily! Squatch Raceway on the north 10.

That looks like a ton of fun!
greglewi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

1966 Bug
engine 1600
trans regular
tires dunno, regular?
mpg Dunno
miles 166k
satisfaction level Love it!
wish list Better radio

I have owned Karl since 1989. Second owner. It was my daily driver until 2000. It then went into hibernation until I restored it in 2017.

I don't drive EVERY day. But I do drive it about 1/2 my work days. It sits under a car cover in the driveway the other 1/2 of the year. 4 miles of city driving to work. If it snows or Im too lazy to swap it out for the newer car I don't drive it

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

greglewi wrote:
1966 Bug

Good looking car. Thumbs Up
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52
Jump to:
Page 52 of 52

Jump to: