Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cable brake information
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

I had some of these made of anyone needs one

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here’s the ad:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2275196

I’m planning on keeping the juiced brakes in my standard zwitter project for the moment but would like to start collecting/reproducing more cable brake stuff in the future. My car is missing most of the hardware though. If anyone has a spare pedal rod thing for inside the tunnel please let me know. Or even if I can borrow one for a month that would probably work.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
If anyone has a spare pedal rod thing for inside the tunnel please let me know. Or even if I can borrow one for a month that would probably work.

I can get you pics and overall dimensions of it. It’s not terrible to make.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

Does anyone knows where to find the brake switch for cable brakes?
Mine is missing. Thanks!

50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

FRK wrote:
Mine is missing. Thanks!

Frank did you ask 56timeoteo?

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

FASTBACKDON wrote:
FRK wrote:
Mine is missing. Thanks!

Frank did you ask 56timeoteo?

What’s up Don?
I’ll contact him tomorrow.

Thanks!
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

FRK wrote:
Mine is missing. Thanks!

Hey. Did you find a supplier? I need a switch too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a notch in that cover to allow the brake switch wires to pass? mine doesn't have one?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

The switches show up in the TS classifieds from time to time. I purchased one for our standard last year.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:

Is there a notch in that cover to allow the brake switch wires to pass? mine doesn't have one?

Yes, there is a notch in my 49's cover.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes, there is a notch in my 49's cover.

I was told years ago lit was off a Kubel. But maybe it’s a Deluxe
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Cable brake information Reply with quote

A Kubel cover is completely different as you can see below:

The Beetle cover with the cable cut out is for a standard model, as the brake switch is under the cover, whilst the cover without the cut out if for a deluxe model, as the brake light switch is situated elsewhere, on the brake master cylinder.
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

Thanks Martin. I’ve all the gear now to put it back to cable brakes again.
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

I have a clamp on the front cables holding the outers to the backplate. Is this stock?
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

No, that's someone's home spun idea, no idea why.

Here is what it should look like...

I know that's a rear but the front is the same as far as the cable fitment goes.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Parts Rescue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

Porsche 911/2 uses the same brake switch for the handbrake warning light that is used on VW cable brakes. Item 7
https://www.design911.com/pages/diagramsBrowser.aspx?categoryID=9&diagramID=1648
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

Parts Rescue wrote:
Porsche 911/2 uses the same brake switch for the handbrake warning light that is used on VW cable brakes. Item 7
https://www.design911.com/pages/diagramsBrowser.aspx?categoryID=9&diagramID=1648

Well, well, well. Who would have thought that? My 47 Beetle shares a part with a 911. Like finding you share DNA with a dinosaur!

sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:
I have a clamp on the front cables holding the outers to the backplate. Is this stock?

It looks like this was an attempt to return the pedal when the main spring broke.

BIG thanks to the initiator and everyone who's contributed. I've found this conversation priceless Smile
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

How on earth do you fit this spring? Top tips anyone?
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

I hooked it in the chassis and used a pliers to pull it forward and hook it onto the rod. I don't recall it was that hard.
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

Now I’m collecting parts for my 49. I notice there are 2 types of rear back plate.
Some have 4 distinct holes for the mounting bolts and some are broken through to the centre hole. Is there a year change? Punch one hole rather than five?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: