Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Porsche 356 hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Glenn and Everett. Certainly a Porsche engine, and almost certainly worth saving, even if only for parts.

Now let's get back on topic... Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone think this engine is anything special? the guy wanted $1000 for it several years ago. i put a big wrenchy on it and it wouldn't turn. naturally he said "it ran when it was parked".

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a boat anchor.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the boat that it could have been the anchor for...if only.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
here's the boat that it could have been the anchor for...if only.

mmmmmm nice !!! Shocked Shocked
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that one got shredded along with a 58 23 window, some late model split buses, some pre-63 beetles, some sorta mercedes with a golde sunroof and some other junk. the owners of the property wanted "nothing to do with VW people"

this may look like a heap but there were alot of valuable parts on there.

Quote:
Quote:
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
the owners of the property wanted "nothing to do with VW people"

Wonder what pissed them off?

They would have gotten more than the scrap value, for sure with out the headache (or so one would think unless they had some idiot that caused heartache or they were just plain whacked themselves.)

Sad, all, of course.

How many years ago was that?
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was just a few years ago.

the deal was that there was a local VW guy storing his cars on this farm. he had a deal worked out with the farmer for rent. he stopped paying rent and the farmer wouldn't let him on the property anymore. he's sneak in at night and take cars, parts whatever he wanted. afterall they were his cars right?

the farmer died but the family who lived on adjacent properties knew what had transpired. no one was gonna get any of the cars outta there. maybe the family figured that the guy that was storing the cars was sending people to rescue them?

i went on the property one day not knowing the situation. i found out where the people lived who owned the property and went to their door. they wanted to know about how i knew about the cars. i told them "friend of a friend sorta thing". they asked me if i went on their property and of course i said no. Laughing cuz i knew the history.

i tried to explain to them that i would pay more than the scrap company and the scrap co would still get most of the cars! no deal! and away it all went, crushed on-site.

Quote:
Quote:
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
it was just a few years ago.

the deal was that there was a local VW guy storing his cars on this farm. he had a deal worked out with the farmer for rent. he stopped paying rent and the farmer wouldn't let him on the property anymore. he's sneak in at night and take cars, parts whatever he wanted. afterall they were his cars right?

the farmer died but the family who lived on adjacent properties knew what had transpired. no one was gonna get any of the cars outta there. maybe the family figured that the guy that was storing the cars was sending people to rescue them?

i went on the property one day not knowing the situation. i found out where the people lived who owned the property and went to their door. they wanted to know about how i knew about the cars. i told them "friend of a friend sorta thing". they asked me if i went on their property and of course i said no. Laughing cuz i knew the history.

i tried to explain to them that i would pay more than the scrap company and the scrap co would still get most of the cars! no deal! and away it all went, crushed on-site.

They must light their cigars with $100 bills since they apparently have money to burn.
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few cars I have discovered over the last few years:

An early 911 - complete with motor

Saw this in Miami, FL circa 1994

914 in Southern NJ - the owner prefers to let it rot rather than sell it/part it out.

1958 356A cab - now being restored in Italy
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could use that decklid off the 911.

waxhead wrote:

914 in Southern NJ - the owner prefers to let it rot rather than sell it/part it out.

Its the classic - the longer you keep it the more valuable it gets. Which can be true, but generally not so much for a car sitting outside in a field. That was probably a decent 914 when it was parked. The funny thing is how offended the guy would be if you offered him what it was worth.

Uzi, what was the story with this one?
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's toast. way worse than it looks. i went there to buy the wheels. i was told $200 by the grandson. they would take the tires off the rim for that price. it was more than i expected but i said i would take them. gramps comes out with a forklift, naturally i think he's coming to snatch the car up for me. he proceeds to tell me he'll only sell it whole. the price? $25,000. he told me restored they go for $75,000. i informed him that there is one locally for $7500. if it's worth $75K, i would go buy it and sell it to him for $15,000, i would just need a 50% deposit to do the deal.

like most old junkyard guys, he runs hot and cold. i'll try again later.

Quote:
Quote:
356 TY 86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: HOO yes ! Reply with quote

I'M LOOKING THE PICS OF THE OVAL with 356 engine !
WOW, an old speed car before the VW or Porsche community discover this spirit .....an old old speed in Oval !
Great found !

JLC Cool
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make the same offer to you as I made to the other guy that was interested. Pay me to go get it for you. $1500 plus the cost of the car. $500 up front to go find it again, balance ddue upon completion of a successful extraction.

Quote:
Quote:
Simon uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what the site rules are, but a 53 356 convertible project has just come up on ebay uk, it is based in denmark......

70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
it's toast. way worse than it looks.

LOL. It must be pretty bad. That was the story I thought I remembered you saying $25,000. Laughing
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll be back there for another try sometime.

Quote:
Quote:
midman914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:

UZI wrote:
it's toast. way worse than it looks.

LOL. It must be pretty bad. That was the story I thought I remembered you saying $25,000. Laughing

There's one around here thats actually much worse than that one that is sitting in this old dudes front yard that I found in 92. Nothing special, 71 Zambezi green 1.7ltr with steel wheels I finally stopped in 98 and talked to the guy and he told me that his nephew and him bought it to restore, but they had never found the time. I asked him if he'd sell it. He said how much, and I offered $300. He about choked. He said that these cars were super valuable and with a battery this one would start right up, like any good Porsche. Yeah right. It had to be sitting there since 78 from the deterioration. This car was so roached that it wasn't worth what I was offering. Broke in half, couldn't open the door and was sinking into the dirt. I should go back there and thank him for not selling it to me. Laughing He saved me a lot of headache. On a funny side note, a year ago I scored three cars in way better shape for $250.
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't even worth talkin' to old dudes . . . they're all fuckin' nuts ! ! ! Every damned one of 'em. Just a big waste of wind.
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timing and charisma are everything.............i hit up an old curmudgeon yrs ago who would never sell anything............i just let him do the talking.......i bought every 356 he had,the locals couldnt believe it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: