Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ghia brake pedal getting stuck! please help
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex3012red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: ghia brake pedal getting stuck! please help Reply with quote

feel kind of dumb asking for help but just can't figure it out, I replaced all brake system on my lowlight, I replaced the master cyl. with a empi 20mm with plastic reservoir. and everything else replaced is stock. anyway I bleeded the system with no problems. once all done I pressed the brake and 2 out 3 times it gets stuck activating the master cyl. I have taken the pedal assy apart and found nothing wrong with it, moves freely by itself and I also adjusted the pushrod to all positions and still gets stuck. this happens at the very top position of the brake pedal, if I back out and in again it will work most of the times, it stops good. so I think the problem is between the master cyl and the pushrod. since this is a after market master cyl. does it use a diff master cyl. pushrod? I think empi made these for universal use street and offroad.. any ideas.. let me know I will try up load a video on this.. thanks and Happy new year... Confused
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the end play of your push rod. You want 1 mm.
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you bench bleed the master before you hooked up the lines?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alex3012red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no I did not bench bleeded the mc. I have no air in the system. I bleed it for a while on all wheel in correct bleeding order, all the wheel seem to stop right away and the pedal doesn't go down when applied it firmly. I have the push rod out all the way so its adjusted all the way out, I have tried diff. positions and its the same stuck 2 out 3 times
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bent rod maybe?

Try a different master cylinder. Preferably non-empi

Empi tends to stand for: Everything Made Passes Inspection
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjust the pedal stop so that the pedals are at 7 and 7/8 inches from the front wall, then readjust brake push rod and clutch. Also make sure the return spring on the brake pedal is not binding from being out of place.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greezy Joe wrote:
Adjust the pedal stop so that the pedals are at 7 and 7/8 inches from the front wall, then readjust brake push rod.....

Don't mention that in the Beetle forum. They seem to think that the length of the rod was set at the factory and needs to stay that length....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the end play was set at the factory. Manufacturing differences make the rod need to be adjusted every time the MC is changed.
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark33563 wrote:
Greezy Joe wrote:
Adjust the pedal stop so that the pedals are at 7 and 7/8 inches from the front wall, then readjust brake push rod.....

Don't mention that in the Beetle forum. They seem to think that the length of the rod was set at the factory and needs to stay that length....

Yea, I know there are a lot of miss conceptions on the forums but that's OK, I've worked on the things for a living (back in the day) up until now. Now that being said, I can still learn a thing or 4 from other folks and these cars with still throw me a curve, sinker or spit ball from time to time Laughing

Edit: The 7and7/8 inch thing is in the Bentley. If the pedal is too far back it can (I've seen this before) cause the push rod to come too far out of the MC.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a ghia that the little nub under the brake pedal was getting caught on the floor or the adjustable stop plate. I don't remember which. I adjusted the bits until that no longer got hung up and the pedal part worked fine.
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greezy Joe wrote:
....Yea, I know there are a lot of miss conceptions on the forums but that's OK.....

That is true.

I have rocked a plastic (the cheapest of the cheap) field filter in my engine compartments for decades and never had a problem. After cruising the forums and making the decision to NOT keep tempting fate, I have decided to relocate that filter to between the tunnel and tank.

Nah, I will probably still run one in the engine compartment though but mounted to the fire wall instead of just letting it bounce around.
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark33563 wrote:
Greezy Joe wrote:
....Yea, I know there are a lot of miss conceptions on the forums but that's OK.....

That is true.

I have rocked a plastic (the cheapest of the cheap) field filter in my engine compartments for decades and never had a problem. After cruising the forums and making the decision to NOT keep tempting fate, I have decided to relocate that filter to between the tunnel and tank.

Nah, I will probably still run one in the engine compartment though but mounted to the fire wall instead of just letting it bounce around.

Most of the time the fire was caused by the brass pipe coming out of the carb or the old style fuel pump. We ran the cheapy plastic filters for years (back in the day) with pretty much 0 problems. Course there was no such thing as Whiskey Fuel then.. Laughing

Now back on track, set up the pedals by the book, this includes pedal stop brake rod adjustment and clutch adjustment. The brake return spring must be installed properly, it is easy to screw that up. Wink
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: