Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 54 european deluxe from start to finish
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I managed to score a private stock of NOS distributor rotors and yellow wire capacitors. I have installed one of each on my distributor. I will keep the new ones just in case for backup. See really bad photo below:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also bought 2 repro brown distributor caps from Glenn, thanks Glenn, mounted one on the engine, really adds to the look.

I started work on the cleaning up the steering box, but massive rain storm cut that short, maybe tomorrow I can carry on with it, more pics to come.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414940
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking really good
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russ and thanks for the input, cokers should arrive by next week. Pics to come, Cool

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to work on the bug in the past couple of days. I received one of Wayne Johnson's hybrid 12 volt / 6 volt starters and installed it on the transmission, I now have a way to start the car. I have changed the car to 12 volts but am making it hard to tell to the naked eye.

Hardware is just to hold the upper bolt in place until I get the engine installed in the next week or so. New bushing installed as supplied by Wayne.

I also spent 8+ hours cleaning up the original steering box, I guess 56 years of leaking will make that much of a mess. Surprising there was actually still some fluid in it and it looked fairly clean. I installed a mix of chassis grease and 90 wt oil in it to slow the leaks hopefully.

Detail of the upper case with VW logo and numbers. I took along time to get it set right in the proper spot 260 mm from center and 25 degrees tilt, hopefully I got it right. I forgot to order a new rubber steering coupler so I have to wait for my buddy to see if he has one in stock.

I was waiting to install the engine until I got the coker wide whitewall tires installed on the rims and car, but found out today they are delayed for another 2 weeks or more. So I guess the engine goes in first, maybe this weekend. Pics will be posted after that. Cool

Thanks for watching,
CHeers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, nice job on the steering box.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that; nice work indeed.

May I ask where you got that grounding strap; the one that bridges the coupling disk?

H.
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys thanks for the props. I should have taken a picture of the steering box before I cleaned it it was about twice the size and as heavy as well with a mix of oil and dirt and grease all over! Shocked

Zwitterkafer, as far as the grounding strap that is the original one from the car, I took my dremel wire wheel to it and it came out nice and shiney and I checked the resistance and it is still good so its going back on. The only one I could find online was at WW but it didn't look nearly as nice as the original one. I just wish my rubber coupler was in a s good a shape, trying to find one now.

Cheers, Cool
Keep watching.....
Miike

54 European Sedan deluxe
maesdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, i kwew that lovely feeling when i did my oval !
Dieter
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

54bug'n wrote:

Spin your axle boot clamps so the tip of the head points down so if you ever need to get to them it will be much easier. I like the detail your doing also, Looks great!
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips and props. Twinwindows, I will get on turning them down tomorrow, thanks for that. Cool

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, it's original......that explains why the coupler ground strap looks so perfect!!

Cheers,
H.
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok folks, I actually had to work for a few days so a little lax on my updates. I decided after much reading of the forums that I would install 2 point lap belts on the front seats of the 54 bug. I first want to thank Johnshenry for his excellent, informative and inspirational site without which I wouldn't have been able to come up with my version of how to install seat belt mounts. In particular when I drilled holes through the tunnel and just missed the fuel line, it was as much luck, but I am taking credit for some research.

Newly installed lap seat belt mounts on the 54 pan. I used the CIP mounts for the outer edges, but modified the pan to allow the plates to mount under the side ridges. The pan to body bolt will pass through and clamp up on the bracket. I then drilled a hole through the tunnel missing the shift rod, fuel line, heater controls and all the engine controls. A tube threaded in both ends is press fitted and bonded into the tunnel and then 7/16 threaded rod is threaded through the entire tube sticking out enough on each side for the belt mount and a steel lock nut. It should be strong enough.

Drivers side seat belt attach point install.

Passenger side seat belt mount install.

View of tunnel from above with two ends of steel tube and threaded rod sticking out and nuts on either end.

Closeup of drivers side outer belt mount.

Closeup of drivers side steel threaded tube and threaded rod sticking out of tunnel with nut on it.

So thats what I have been up to. Next the engine goes back on, pics to come.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got to work on the bug the other day again and other than the electrical wiring, the original 36 hp engine is fully installed on the pan now. Adjusted the clutch, hooked up the heater box controls, hooked up the clutch and throttle and fuel line. Now to figure out the electrical hook up to run it?

Bad news was my coker whitewalls are still backordered so I am delayed getting it back on its own rubber. Evil or Very Mad I will spend the time waiting to get it wired up, figure out a fuel tank and get the oil changed on the engine in readiness for starting it. Cool

thanks for watching.
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
dave231
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine and trans look sweet! Great job .

David
paulsvwbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just hook up a jumper wire from the positive side of battery to term. 15 of coil then use a jumper at the starter to start it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I almost have all the wiring to start the engine on the pan I wanted to get the wiring that will stay permanent on the pan done as I have a second 12 volt regulator under the rear seat. I finally couldn't wait any longer to get my pan back on rubber, (Cokers still back ordered dammit) so I pulled out my old mix of 5 bolt rims and got it on its feet so to speak.

Can't wipe that smile off my face.

Left turn.

I will take more pics when I get my new tires, and mount them on the recently painted rims.

Thanks for watching, stay tuned for more to come.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
paulsvwbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man I know what you mean, just this weekend I got my engine on the pan and started it, tuned it then drove around our townhome complex, I had a huge smile, my wife and 4 1/2 year old daughter laughed at me, looks kinda funny. Be gentle with the clutch, I broke my backrest on my seat when I let the clutch go too fast, fixed it though, have fun, thats what it's all about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good mike. I like the color of the front left wheel. Wink

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Paul I am very close to driving the bug around the block as well and can't wait. My clutch feels very stiff as well, must be all the new stuff. Thanks for the story, I can;t wait.

Joey thanks for the wheel and tire loan, its the only one on there that looks good...lol. Can't wait to get my Cokers though.

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't been around lately, am in the middle of moving and also picked up a 66 beetle to use as a DD, but it needed a bit of attention to get her on the road, still working on that. But soon. I will be back on with more 54 rebuild soon.

Say hi to "chuck" if you want in the Beetle forum as per below. Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4796862#4796862

Otherwise I will get back at it soon.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 23

Jump to: