Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Putting Abarth on my 67 ghia. What to do about heat?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hbays
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Putting Abarth on my 67 ghia. What to do about heat? Reply with quote

I'm putting an Abarth muffler on from Steph. I don't see how my fresh air heat exchangers will work so do I need to got to the older 40 hp stale air type and will they work on my 67?

Thanks
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size engine are you putting in the ghia? I think he makes them up to 1300CC engines not sure though I know a stale 40hp would work .
hbays
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually an 85.5mm x 82mm stock with the wrist pins in the pistons relocated so stock dimensions are retained as far as engine width. 1600 type as41 case.
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Fresh air 36 Reply with quote

On my 'modern' 36hp (dog house oil cooler, Pertronix Ignitor, 12 V choke 28 PICT carb, 12v generator), I also use fresh air heater boxes. They fit the stock 36hp muffler with only a slight bit of persuasion. I did have to use an EMPI 36hp style fan shroud with fresh air ducts(although a wide factory non-36 shroud would work, just not look as natural) and I had to modify( i.e., big holes ) a rear breast tin to allow the fresh air tubes to access the heater boxes and narrow 40hp under tins below the push rod tubes between the boxes and the case.

Works fine!

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hbays
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has a non 36 shroud on it now with the ducts. The fresh air hoses have to connect to the top part of the muffler as in the link below. The abarth doesn't have this connection for fresh air hoses. So I didn't know if the stale air 36 hp heater boxes would work or am I missing something here?

http://www2.cip1.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=C23%2D35171
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Hbays Reply with quote

The 'pre-heat' cans fitted to the #3 & 4 exhaust pipes on the fresh air muffler shown in your link coming from the head are 'not critical' to providing heat. Since your Abarth does not have these cans, just use a longer piece of fresh air hose, preferably the factory style cardboard coated aluminum type (the all aluminum tubing will work, it just does not look as good and also deteriorates quicker!). Fitting to the input portion of the fresh air heater box will be tight but can be accomplished. I use a wide screw type clamp to secure the hose to the heater box.

Some folks sell a pre-bent metal pipe to bypass around the upper pipes from the heads, but I have never been successful in making them work and found the simple hose bypass I described above as a good solution. The good quality cardboard/ aluminum hose can lay against the head pipes and not burn through!

Hope this is helpful..............

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hbays
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Now I read you. So connect the fresh air hose directly to the heat exchanger.
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Yes ! Reply with quote

Tight fit but it works !

Good luck...............

Burly
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Correction Reply with quote

I meant #2 & 4 exhaust pipes. Sorry for the error!

Burly
hbays
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who makes the curved adapters you were talking about?
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Adapters Reply with quote

The curved adapters came with some exhaust systems but since I could never get one to work, I have forgotten who supplied them. They would not bend tight enough to fit closely to the pipes!

Sorry I connot help with this one...............

Burly
ACTION IS GO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hbays Reply with quote

36hplandspeedracer wrote:
The 'pre-heat' cans fitted to the #3 & 4 exhaust pipes on the fresh air muffler shown in your link coming from the head are 'not critical' to providing heat. Since your Abarth does not have these cans, just use a longer piece of fresh air hose, preferably the factory style cardboard coated aluminum type (the all aluminum tubing will work, it just does not look as good and also deteriorates quicker!). Fitting to the input portion of the fresh air heater box will be tight but can be accomplished. I use a wide screw type clamp to secure the hose to the heater box.

Some folks sell a pre-bent metal pipe to bypass around the upper pipes from the heads, but I have never been successful in making them work and found the simple hose bypass I described above as a good solution. The good quality cardboard/ aluminum hose can lay against the head pipes and not burn through!

Hope this is helpful..............

Burly

Do happen to have a pic of this set up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: