Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DVD ripper software
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LowType2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: DVD ripper software Reply with quote

Need some help help finding some type of DVD converter software to rip DVDs to the Microsoft Zune player. Most of the programs I read about have just been horrible (bad service, dont rip movies past a certain point, and just difficult programs to use) so if I am going to drop some money down I want something that will work.

I also have been reading about how DVD's are very will pretected from copyright infringement, but if I want to rip it to my player I should be able to. Hence me paying for a nice software system.

Any of you guys/gals have any input?
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The geniuses at the MPAA/RIAA have managed to make ripping legally purchased DVDs/CDs/etc.. illegal, no matter how you do it. They aren't going to give their copy protection scheme to anyone, no matter how much they pay. This ultimately just ends up with free programs using a basic brute-force decryption working better than anything you pay for. I assume you have tried DVD decrypter?

There are a number of free programs like ffmpeg (more of a linux program) and VLC that will play the movie and record it real time. The rip process will take the full length of the movie, but can technically get around any copy-protection scheme your computer can read. I'd see how that turns out before paying for a program that is probably no better.

Obviously this is all very much at your own risk. Don't distribute the ripped files in any way, blah blah blah.. I've copied a few of our movies for the same use. Finally gave it up, the results weren't worth the hours spent trying to make it work.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use DVD Fab to make backup copies of my movies, since I have a 2 year old who likes to play with them. It has options to do DVD to Mobile. Don't be cheap and try to use the free version. It doesn't work worth crap. I paid the $40 and it has copied every movie I've thrown at it.

http://www.dvdfab.com/

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
I use DVD Fab to make backup copies of my movies, since I have a 2 year old who likes to play with them. It has options to do DVD to Mobile. Don't be cheap and try to use the free version. It doesn't work worth crap. I paid the $40 and it has copied every movie I've thrown at it.

http://www.dvdfab.com/

Did it pass inspection?
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who uses DVD43 to decode DVDs and then uses Nero Recode to do the copy/burn. He says it works well.
LowType2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just sad that if I already paid for the DVD I should be able to rip to my player for free.
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LowType2 wrote:
It's just sad that if I already paid for the DVD I should be able to rip to my player for free.

welcome to the real world of MPAA/RIAA hegemony, where they have convinced the government that even though you may have bought the disc, it really isn't yours...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: