Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Living without a cell phone
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thegoodfight7211
Samba Street Punk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Living without a cell phone Reply with quote

Anybody else do it these days?

It's not that hard...it's just an expense I don't really need.

My laptop may as well be part of my body, and I always text people from there...either with my email or through IM.
kaiser wrote:

i figured you guys would appreciate the frugality of the homemade soap.

I like the idea but they'd go totally ape shiat over this in the Bay Window forum!

Bay window owners? Soap?
bajabugman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it for a couple months between coming back from europe and moving to the big city. I liked it a lot. Took a little getting used to, but it was nice not being able to "found" or have someone keep tabs on me. Life seems to be alot simpler without one.

66 baja-rotary powered \=O=/

Oh I get it, the robot doesn't have any arms!
thegoodfight7211
Samba Street Punk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People depend on them too much. Like you said, it's liberating. The only times I find myself wishing I had one are when my Bus breaks down!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
kaiser wrote:

i figured you guys would appreciate the frugality of the homemade soap.

I like the idea but they'd go totally ape shiat over this in the Bay Window forum!

Bay window owners? Soap?
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its the shit!! i did it for five years, but when you have kids you kinda need one.
pikeman48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once God gets a cell phone, I'll get one.
sand rail-stripped and scrapped
1968 Empi Sportster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we don't have a phone at home - no land line, so we both carry cellphones...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
letthemusicflow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one but I rarely use it other than to call my parents. An occasional call to a friend or a text, but it's usually incoming. I could live without my cell phone, but my parents would rather me carry it around lol

Beetle Bums VW Club Member
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hezekiah told me that cel phones is the debbles work.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one but only because I travel 100 miles a day to and from work. It's for emergencies only! I had to use it last month to call a tow truck when I hit (in my Hyundai Accent) some black ice and hit the curb on the off ramp going to work. I bent the lower control arm, snapped the sway bar link and bent the tie rod. I only take it with me when I go to work. In the two years Ive had it I've only used it for less than 15 minutes.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep mine right next to my fire extinguisher - a tracfone. It is an emergency tool, and unless you have a cb and if you drive an old VW you should have one.

Or something anyway (cb, ham, semaphore, flare gun)

I hate the damn thing cuz I hafta add minutes every now and then or it will go dead from inactivity.. I think I am up to 210 minutes now... made maybe 5 calls..

Guess I need to call someone...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a Cell phone is simply a part of modern life. If you don't wish to live in the 21st Century, it's a free country, so be it.

Personally I appreciate having one, my wife having one, my kids having one, my 91 year old mother having one as well as my siblings.

I think the problem comes when a phone (wired or cellular) becomes a DEMAND device instead of a convenience device.
There is no reason a phone demands to be answered (except maybe 911).
If I'm able to or want to, I will answer it. If not, that's why God made voice mail.
I also don't carry it all the time. It sits in the car, it sits on my desk but not always in my pocket.
You need to manage your cell phone, sadly far too many are controlled by the device and this is where the problems lie.
The Cell Phone itself isn't bad, it's the misuse of them that is.

People laughed at TV, Wired Phones, Electricity and those new fangled horse less carriages as well! The Amish still do so today.(though they have been forced to adopt electricity if they wish to sell their Dairy products on the open market)

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emeritusx wrote:

Guess I need to call someone...

If you call someone, then they will have your cell number, and will call you back and pester you at inconvenient times. BTDT Very Happy Wink

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and daughter bought me a trac phone a few years ago because "It's important to keep in touch with each other!" It has become a paper weight on the counter, because I have a tendancy for forgetting to take it with me. Rolling Eyes I made it through the first 50-some years of my life without a phone, and somehow survived. I am constantly amazed that the usual conversation on almost any phone is an explaination of where they are at any given moment. Obviously they are not where the caller is. Duh! And the next statement on the phone is about when that person will be where the caller is. The phone was invented for all the controling people of the world to keep track of all the wanderers that need their direction. "Yes dear, I'll be sure to take the phone with me this time!" Wink
Humanure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the reactions on peoples faces when I tell them I don't have a cell phone; they actually are shocked.

I had one back in 2001 for a short time and will eventually get another one. Some of my friends want me to get one with the texting option. When hanging out on the weekend, these same friends get hammered with texts at various times, and the annoying look on their faces is priceless.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cellphone is one thing, but I'm really wondering why I still bother to have a regular phone in my house. All I ever get are wrong numbers and BS telemarketing calls.
junior55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not want to open a can of worms but would like to educate the public
a bit.

You codgers that have been using a cell from day one: like me...

You may want to get yourself pet-scanned yearly!

My brother died last year from a GBM brain tumor just above his right ear. Gave up the landline for a full time cell.

I recently went in for a pet scan and now found a stage 1a hodgkin's
lymph node. Thank God I caught it in time for radiation only, and probably
going to be ok. The lymph node was in the right side of my neck where I hold my cell phone.

In addition, my best friend died last year from a brain tumor above his right ear.

All of us were upper 50's and got a cell phone from day one.

I now use a digital pager and leave the phone at home and call from a land-line whenever possible.

I am looking into a roof mounted antenna truck phone like the early days
of cell, for the best of both worlds.

My wife went in yesterday for biopsy on right side lymph lumps !

We are the only country that does not post a cancer warning on their cellphones!

If I am FOS on this.. then it's a wonderful thing indeed that we can co-exist with technology advancements such as turning the world into
a microwave oven with millions of watts added daily!

If my suspicions are correct, it would benefit you greatly to cut back, go
bluetooth, switch ears, car-phone, hands free... or SOMETHING!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I now use a digital pager and leave the phone at home and call from a land-line whenever possible.

I own an answering service and we handle pagers. Years ago there were about a half dozen paging compaines - now there is only one in my part of the world with decent coverage. Paging is dying and will be dead soon.

And an earlier post that had Amish on it was kind of cute - but you would be shocked at the creative way those folks use cells, voicemail and servisec like mine to do business withing the contraints of their beliefs. We have a ton of Amish clients.......

I do wish that people did get sensible with their cell usage - everybody is talking on the phone and not getting any work done.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, the company I worked for, issued me a pager. And they paid for it. I was on 24 hour call.
About 10 years ago, my wife's boss issued all employees and their significant others a cell phones at a very cheap rate. He was a dealer for them. $10 a month for each phone.
When my company found that I had a cell phone, they stopped the pager service, and would just call me on my cell phone. But, they did not offer to pay my $10 a month for my cell phone. And they had been paying $35 a month for the pager.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bitch is they created a whole new way to suck the money outta the working man.We survived for years without a cell phone now nobody can live without one at 60 bucks a month plus...where does all that money go?Running a shop I lived with one strapped to my head like an electronic alarm, going off any time someone couldnt handle an issue.For the last two months Im cell phone free,and loving it.The woman tries to get me to activate an old one we have laying around to have in my pocket at the new job...no way,the freedom of driving or just when your alone and nobody can disturb you is priceless...Oh...and the breakdown on the road excuse...everybody has a cell,wait a minute and someone will come along...just like the old days...
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had one. Don't need it.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: