Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Creativity: dying art form?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thegoodfight7211
Samba Street Punk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Creativity: dying art form? Reply with quote

Seems like the creativity in everything is gone these days. This has really been getting to me.

All around us, everything's reverting to "retro" styling because nobody can come up with anything new. Look at clothes...retro. Look at new cars...retro! Modern mainstream music is a joke. Bunch of talentless hacks getting by solely on sex appeal. Seems like even the Super Bowl commercials, once a thing that seemed to have a lot of effort put into them, were disappointing this year from the few that I saw. Where is the color and flavor in life these days?? I've barely even been on this earth for two decades, and I see it...I think you're blind if you don't.

I personally think it could be argued that it's because of the generation raised on ritalin...hmmmm
kaiser wrote:

i figured you guys would appreciate the frugality of the homemade soap.

I like the idea but they'd go totally ape shiat over this in the Bay Window forum!

Bay window owners? Soap?
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part everything is catered to the masses. Americas public is at a very low mentality. IE Brittany Spears, Byonce, Soulja Boy, and reality TV... I think creativity is lost through convenience, which causes laziness. I do however disagree with the retro styling. I love vintage things such as V.W's, bicycles, clothing etc.. If you look past the bullshit music and TV of bovine America, there is a lot of good stuff out there!
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's retro for the sake of retro, like tailfins and platform shoes.

Then there's retro because it was a really good design and deserves to be revisited. Inexpensive cars that work well and are easy to fix never go out of style.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Creativity: dying art form? Reply with quote

thegoodfight7211 wrote:
Seems like the creativity in everything is gone these days. This has really been getting to me.

All around us, everything's reverting to "retro" styling because nobody can come up with anything new. Look at clothes...retro. Look at new cars...retro! Modern mainstream music is a joke. Bunch of talentless hacks getting by solely on sex appeal. Seems like even the Super Bowl commercials, once a thing that seemed to have a lot of effort put into them, were disappointing this year from the few that I saw. Where is the color and flavor in life these days?? I've barely even been on this earth for two decades, and I see it...I think you're blind if you don't.

I personally think it could be argued that it's because of the generation raised on ritalin...hmmmm

Watch it, learn it, fear it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is life all about anyways?

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Creativity: dying art form? Reply with quote

thegoodfight7211 wrote:
Seems like the creativity in everything is gone these days.

Not in the cell phone industry.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thegoodfight7211
Samba Street Punk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
For the most part everything is catered to the masses. Americas public is at a very low mentality. IE Brittany Spears, Byonce, Soulja Boy, and reality TV... I think creativity is lost through convenience, which causes laziness. I do however disagree with the retro styling. I love vintage things such as V.W's, bicycles, clothing etc.. If you look past the bullshit music and TV of bovine America, there is a lot of good stuff out there!

The "creativity is lost through convenience" is a very good point...necessity is the mother of invention a lot of the time, and if there's no necessity, then why have invention?

There's a difference between vintage and retro though, it's the reason we all drive old VWs here; and the actual old clothes, musical instruments, bicycles, furniture, cars...agreed, they all rule. All I was pointing out was that no advances are being made, people are just digging up past styling cues instead of coming up with something new.

And yes, as a participant and contributor to the underground music scene for the past 6 years, I definitely know what you're saying there. You're right, good music is indeed alive and well...you just have to seek it. Very Happy

79SuperVert wrote:
There's retro for the sake of retro, like tailfins and platform shoes.

Then there's retro because it was a really good design and deserves to be revisited. Inexpensive cars that work well and are easy to fix never go out of style.

This is also true...same goes for cars as for pretty much any mechanical device made in the 70s. I was just looking at it from a creative standpoint, where--the way I see it--people in a position to come up with something new and innovative just look to the past and recycle old ideas.
kaiser wrote:

I like the idea but they'd go totally ape shiat over this in the Bay Window forum!

Bay window owners? Soap?
thegoodfight7211
Samba Street Punk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Creativity: dying art form? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
thegoodfight7211 wrote:
Seems like the creativity in everything is gone these days.

Not in the cell phone industry.

Heh. Got that right. Rolling Eyes
kaiser wrote:

Bay window owners? Soap?
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people rely on their gadgets to be creative for them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Creativity: dying art form? Reply with quote

thegoodfight7211 wrote:

no way - there is so much creativity out there - you just got to make it yourself - don't expect to buy it at the store...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
thegoodfight7211
Samba Street Punk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that it's nonexistent...I figure it's like the music thing, you have to seek it and dig a little bit. Only point I was trying to make was that it seems there was a time where innovation and good ideas weren't a commodity.
kaiser wrote:

Bay window owners? Soap?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intellectual Property laws stifle creativity.
Many are afraid that they will be sued if they come up with an idea, and someone else has already thought of it.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
...laws stifle creativity...

or they require you to be more creative than lawyers...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
kevtherev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold the phone, you mean retro styling is a new thing...

I think not.
take a look around you, Architecture has always taken from the past. Clothing styles get rehashed, even food styles have been re-visited.

We are sentimental by nature, old fashioned things from the past, once thought of as vulgar or ostentatious become vogue when we feel vulnerable from our ever changing lives and social values.
yearning for a seemingly more stable past is picked up by manufacturers.

repackaging the past is creative in itself
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past, designers had scope to venture where nobody had gone before. Nowadays there's a commitment to staying in business by producing what's "needed" as opposed to what people might "want".

Taking the example of car design there definately seems to have been a point reached where everything is starting to look the same. Fins were fun, not practical. Bench seats,huge engines,chrome everywhere. Not much point to any of it but we all know now and knew then that it was exciting.

Jeremy Clarkson had a vaild point at the end of the last series....Has automotive technology and design really reached it's pinacle? Is this the end before whatever comes next? (Not a quote but that was the message).
Jellymould shapes now abound for sure but all the "modern day life" boxes are generally ticked because of it.

Wouldn't it be great if we could all be different?

The trend towards building a "resto VW" is perhaps an unspoken concensus that our beloved air cooled cars just aren't as commonplace as they used to be. There's a pride to be taken in keeping a little piece of history.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's just to many people in the world to be unique. "Look what I did!" "nope, that guy over there just did the same thing".
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the Barenaked Ladies said.... "It's all been done before...".

Wink

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is plenty of creativity out there. The problem is there are also so many more bland imitations of past ideas that we are constantly bombarded with, we are too numb to recognize truly "new" when we see it. About two second after a new idea appears, someone has jumped on it and offered up their version. Instant old news. Not quite the brainstorm the guy who discovered fire had, but unique stuff just the same. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lowbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have this discussion with atleast 1 person a week, im an old soul for sure
i love old things especially from the 50's 60's and 70's, the music was way better inspired by way better drugs (not condoning them) the cars were still being designed by the people who wanted to drive them creativity in technology and everything else was really blooming, it would have been a much more fun time to live

in todays world, convinience has deffinately upstaged creativity... cars are designed by people who wouldnt be seen in the car they just designed
everyone is a "musician" because they bought the $9.99 dubbing software at walmart and everything else has been done they just keep relabeling it tv's, phones, computers, clothing its all the same old shit different smell

thats not to say there isnt new and exciting things happening, medical technologies in the last few years have been extraordinary as well as space exploration and the important things in life

screw convinience ive thought about it alot i could deffinately live without all the modern comforts cell phones, tv's etc...
Lee.
Samba Animal Controller

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creativity is always out there. It's available and it's free.

You just never know..........Someone had an idea and it worked out.........

Quote:
The Nike "Swoosh" is a design created in 1971 by Carolyn Davidson, a graphic design student at Portland State University. She met Phil Knight while he was teaching accounting classes and she started doing some freelance work for his company, Blue Ribbon Sports (BRS).

BRS needed a new brand for a new line of athletic footwear it was preparing to introduce in 1972. Knight approached Davidson for design ideas, and she agreed to provide them, charging a rate of $2 per hour.

In June 1971, Davidson presented a number of design options to Knight and other BRS executives, and they ultimately selected the mark now known globally as the Swoosh. Davidson submitted a bill for $35 for her work. (In 1983, Knight gave Davidson a gold Swoosh ring and an envelope filled with Nike stock to express his gratitude.)

The logo represents the wing of the Greek Goddess.The Nike logo is a classic case of a company gradually simplifying its corporate identity as its frame increases. The company's first logo appeared in 1971, when the word "Nike," the Greek goddess of victory, was printed in orange over the outline of a checkmark, the sign of a positive mark. Used as a motif on sports shoes since the 1970s, this checkmark is now so recognizable that the company name itself has became superfluous.

The solid corporate logo design check was registered as a trademark in 1995. The Nike logo design is an abstract wing, designed by Carolyn Davidson, was an appropriate and meaningful symbol for a company that marketed running shoes. The "JUST DO IT" slogan and logo design campaign communicated such a strong point of view to their target market that the meaning for the logo design symbol evolved into a battle cry and the way of life for an entire generation. Isn't it amazing how a small symbol we call a logo design can make a company into a huge success.

Just do it. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: