Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

67dubcab wrote:
Missed this shot of the tubs roughed in, plenty left to do to call them done.
Suspension now has 3" off droop and 2.5" of compression before fouling and with #700 springs I should be able to jump railroad crossings at 110.
Will be a bit of time till I road test as I need to pull engine for a dramatic oil leak and likely have transaxle re-built with L.S.D. installed so I am no longer one wheel drive.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good to see you are still at it on this awesome project! Very Happy Very Happy
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Thanks for checking in Bashr52, Yep still working, driving, breaking, fixing, repeat.
Still left on the original build list to do: sway bars/front cage/heat/twin turbos/l.s.d. into transaxle/rear seat and harness.
Last up bodywork and paint.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Do you think we'll see you next month at Kelley Park again?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Nope, no Kelly Park this year, will not get back on road for a few months... too much work-too little time.
If you saw me there a few years back you were one of about six people to notice as the D.C. was in the swap section.
One day if it is ever finished I will put it in the main show.

I usually get out to Busfest and the Porsche/V.W. Trefeffen show in Concord.
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Still on the lift getting some intermittent attention.
Now have the sway bars fabricated, splined hollow bar for the front, with 944 rear 16mm bar.

The front bar is the lightest I can get in this configuration so tuning will be mostly by rear bar, I have the 14mm stock bar if needed and heavier bars are available.
working on my final front bumper/air intake as envisioned almost ten years ago, comically still lots left to do including some A.B.S sheet ducting and eventually I will cast a aluminum frame for the bumper opening and fix some stainless wire screen.

67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

I have finished the final iteration of my suspension, mostly just tuning left.

Front suspension specs: wheels O.Z Fittipaldi 8.5” x 17”,tires 235/40/17
928S4 upper and lower arms, spindles, Brembo calipers, Rabbit rack&pinion
Bilstein coil-overs 700# springs, 1.25” hollow splined sway bar .188” wall.

Rear suspension specs: wheels O.Z. Fittipaldi 9”x17”, tires 255/40/17
944S2 torsion housing, stock torsion springs, early offset 944 aluminum arms, S2 Brembo calipers. 1.5 ratio rocker arms connecting to Bilstein coil-overs 600# springs, 16mm 944S2 sway bar.

So far road testing with new sway bar setup has been encouraging, much flatter cornering as expected and ride quality just a bit more "bouncy" when arms try to counter each other when a single wheel hits a bump or pothole, which is constant in Sonoma county backroads.

Will have to wait for a autocross session to check front/rear roll balance, and new tire grip action but am happy so far.
nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Any updates? One of my favorite builds on this site. I just LOVE that this truck is taken to autocrosses.
mikepday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Looks amazing, I’ve been following this for years, just shows, the sky is the limit.
I’m doing the exact same rear end on mine, what offset/ET/backspacing were the original Porsche rear wheels and the current OZ versions. They look, perfect in the Arches. Just what I’m looking to achieve.

And with the 600lb rear springs which way does the ratio work? Are they softened with the rockers or stiffened? What’s the final figure at the wheel?
I’m not sure I need quite the load lugging capacity you have as mines a camper but I think the original Porsche 944 bars will need some assistance.

Keep at it! It’s one of the coolest buses I’ve ever seen..
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Hey nynone4, been awhile since I posted up, I have been in Europe for 4 months and had the dc engine out to fix some oil leaks. Put engine back in and still had some leaks, decided to check out my old “glitter engine” that had been sitting in my shop for years and inside looked pretty clean. I am presently rebuilding that motor to get the dc back on the road and strengthened for future twin turbos.

Hey mikepday, thanks for the kind words.
The Porsche rims on the rear were around -55 et, 16”x8” . The OZ rims are presently around -65 8.5”x17” with 255/40/17 tires.
The ratio rockers reduce the spring rate, so with the 1.5 ratio and the stock
Porsche spring mount motion ratio the wheel rate is around #300
The stock 944 is pretty soft, around half that, so I would plan on boosting it.
The dc is about #2900 unladen and I have it set up to carry #1500 in the bed with this present spring rate.
I now have my sway bars front and rear, so can tune roll with them, looking to do some autocross testing this summer after I re-build my motor. Also I had limited-slip installed in the transaxle, with some other mods to help future turbo power.

So you have a 944 rear suspension fabbed in? Also note I am running early offset aluminum rear arms.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Jump to:
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: