Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '72 Super... ongoing project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True...very true. lol. I always go back and edit/retype my posts after I submit them...you quoted me before I could get it edited Very Happy
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRustySuper wrote:
True...very true. lol. I always go back and edit/retype my posts after I submit them...you quoted me before I could get it edited Very Happy

It's a skill. Very Happy
Did I beat you to it this time? Wink
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetlebaum wrote:
TheRustySuper wrote:

It's a skill. Very Happy

haha. Nope. Very Happy Do I win something?
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRustySuper wrote:
Beetlebaum wrote:
TheRustySuper wrote:

It's a skill. Very Happy

haha. Nope. Very Happy Do I win something?

You win a free membership to the Beetle Bums, and unofficial club/gang... Laughing We should start that. That would be so cool.
royDHPNM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TheRustySuper

I've seen worse restored, just look around the Split Bus forums Shocked

I don't think I could sell it. [/quote]

please dont compare a super to a split bus, not even the same ball park or game dude.

and I dont think you could sell it either Laughing Laughing

for real man, be realistic, thats all I am saying. I just sold a very solid, completely rust free, slammed, new interior, running and driving 63 rag for 2K. way less then you will have in repairs in that super, then it still wont be worth what you have into it, ever.

El Roy Pinstriping on Facebook
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royDHPNM wrote:
[quote="TheRustySuper

I've seen worse restored, just look around the Split Bus forums Shocked

I don't think I could sell it.

please dont compare a super to a split bus, not even the same ball park or game dude.

and I dont think you could sell it either Laughing Laughing

for real man, be realistic, thats all I am saying. I just sold a very solid, completely rust free, slammed, new interior, running and driving 63 rag for 2K. way less then you will have in repairs in that super, then it still wont be worth what you have into it, ever.[/quote]

I wasn't trying to compare it to a Split Bus, I was just saying that anything can be saved if ya really want to save it. The thing is...I don't like buying ready made stuff. I have an '09 GTI that I drive everyday. And though it's a fantastic car, it's not really that interesting. I don't feel like I've really done anything for/to it, which I haven't. I'd rather own a car that I worked my butt off to restore, than something that someone else has restored. And I like a challenge. No one else would bother to fix the car, so I figure I will. It'll probably take forever, but my intent isn't to eventually sell the car for profit. It's already too late, I doubt I could sell it for more than I have into it at this point anyways. And as you said, I hightly doubt anyone would want to buy it Very Happy
royDHPNM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with that attitude you will be alright dude.
do what makes you happy, have fun and learn from it, peace bro

El Roy Pinstriping on Facebook
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...found out a bit more history on the car. Today I took the Beetle to church. Almost all of the PO's of my car go to my church, since the car stayed in their family until I bought it. One of the PO's is a youth leader, who drove it when he and his wife dated in college and when they got married. He asked how the car was doing, and I said good, and that I brought it today if he'd like to see it. So he looked it over, and told me the story behind each of the stickers (inspection, parking pass, etc) that were on the windshield and rear window. The rainbow decal was put on by his wife, who liked rainbows. NOT for gay pride, like everyone had been telling me Rolling Eyes He also told me that the car has more like 204,xxx miles on it, not 104,xxx like I thought. He said that it rolled over 100,000 when him and his wife drove it, and it had 123,xxx on it when they sold it. As far as I know, the motor has never been rebuilt Shocked Then his wife came out and exclaimed "Is that my old car!?" She ran over to it, and was was really excited. I offered to give her a drive in it, but she just wanted to sit in it. It was her first car as well, and she said it was "a blast from the past". It made my day, she was so happy to see that car and that someone was taking good care of it. Just thought I'd share Smile
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...some videos of me driving.

Shorter video, camera died. Got the tripod and camera angle right though. And moved my fuzzy dice Smile

Link

Drove into town, forgot to secure the tripod or move my dice.

Link

Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showoff Razz
Haha, just kidding! Looks fun, I can't wait till I can drive mine. Cool
FlowerPowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 71 Super cost me $3500, and I've surely spent multiple thousands more in repairs and upgrades. Will I ever "get my money back"? Most likely NOT! Do I care? Definately NOT! I get tremendous pleasure having it, caring for it and driving it. And it never fails the looks and positive comments my baby provokes, it always makes my day.
If that is not enough, a person gains so much from a challenge, and you will learn so much about your beloved bug from the experience of bringing it back to it's former glory, so much more than if you simply bought a perfect example. Also, would you rather practice (and make the inevitable mistakes) on your "dream" car? Ofcourse not. You have so many years ahead of you, your tastes will change and there will be other project cars, maybe a dream restoration project (or 2, or 3, ha ha). But the experience you gain now, if you follow through as far as possible, are the building blocks that will no doubt take you far in the future. I think you have the perfect car, given the low initial price and your apparent enthusiasm for fixing it up. If you think about it, it's really a match made in heaven. Because at this time in your young life, the time and money spent is not really on "the car"; it is really an investment of experience and confidence in yourself.
FlowerPowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one more thing. My son will be 16 this month. I wish he had just a fraction of your enthusiasm for ACVWs, ahhh, but it was not meant to be... Crying or Very sad
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricroz wrote:
My 71 Super cost me $3500, and I've surely spent multiple thousands more in repairs and upgrades. Will I ever "get my money back"? Most likely NOT! Do I care? Definately NOT! I get tremendous pleasure having it, caring for it and driving it. And it never fails the looks and positive comments my baby provokes, it always makes my day.
If that is not enough, a person gains so much from a challenge, and you will learn so much about your beloved bug from the experience of bringing it back to it's former glory, so much more than if you simply bought a perfect example. Also, would you rather practice (and make the inevitable mistakes) on your "dream" car? Ofcourse not. You have so many years ahead of you, your tastes will change and there will be other project cars, maybe a dream restoration project (or 2, or 3, ha ha). But the experience you gain now, if you follow through as far as possible, are the building blocks that will no doubt take you far in the future. I think you have the perfect car, given the low initial price and your apparent enthusiasm for fixing it up. If you think about it, it's really a match made in heaven. Because at this time in your young life, the time and money spent is not really on "the car"; it is really an investment of experience and confidence in yourself.

Thanks for the kind words! This car has already taught me so much, and I still have so much to learn about it. Every time something goes wrong (now it's the master cylinder switches), I try and think of it as a learning experience. And with each thing I sort out, I feel more ready for the next thing that I need to work on. And with that, I feel more confident that I can also get it right. A year ago, I wouldn't have thought I would get this involved with working on the car. But as I've begun to do more to it and understand exactly how everything works, I feel as though I've done something important. The car probably would've gone back into the barn it came from if I didn't buy it.
hemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep up the good work. the biggest thing is you have what you want and you have another car to drive every day. i wish i was as lucky as you are when i was 16. i had a friend bring a 1961 beetle original owner car back from california when i was 16 behind my dad and ex stepmothers back well they didnt let me get my license until i was 18. i had to sell the car to my buddy and he ended up in my eyes ruining the car but he still has it. sorry its so long but keep your self headed in the same direction and you will be fine.
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemi wrote:
keep up the good work. the biggest thing is you have what you want and you have another car to drive every day. i wish i was as lucky as you are when i was 16. i had a friend bring a 1961 beetle original owner car back from california when i was 16 behind my dad and ex stepmothers back well they didnt let me get my license until i was 18. i had to sell the car to my buddy and he ended up in my eyes ruining the car but he still has it. sorry its so long but keep your self headed in the same direction and you will be fine.

haha, that sounds like my friend, he recently brought home a '71 Mercury Cougar without telling his parents.

So...was checking out my brake switches, and figured I'd get some pictures of the condition of the front of my car. The rust isn't terrible...but it's not in great shape or anything. Most of the wetness down there is grease from the front end, or melting ice from when I drove it the day before. I don't think my MC is leaking, there's no sponginess in my pedal at all, and my brake fluid level has never changed.

The car's been in a minor accident...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rust behind the MC

Frame head rusting out...

Other side of my firewall, a bit worse:

I think this started as a drain hole, but it's gotten slightly bigger. Poking around in it, there was a fair amount of rust in there as well.

Overall shot of the car, my pans are solid except for some holes around the battery, and some good sized dents.

66 Bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeviMan2001 wrote:
Ahmen! I'm 16 and restoring a super too. Laughing I bought mine for $800 (too much) and it doesn't even have an interior or windows! you have a PERFECT interior! Shocked lucky!

Interiors are quite easy to do, and you can do them pretty inexpensively, fortunately!

Well, I feel old, gosh. I'm 18 and not quite restoring my car, but I've done a lot of work on it. I got it right after I turned 17.

Good for you guys starting earlier! Amen to that!

=)

Keep it, take your time restoring it, do it well and don't skimp on cheap parts. Drive it. Use it. Love it.
Laughing
Detroit73super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep it up, and ask for a welder for your B-day or next xmas if you don't already have one, looks lke you're gonna need it . Don't let anybody here get you down for fixin a Super. There is not a single VW that exists that is WORTH$$ restoring, i.e. you'll get your money back or even profit, no split, no oval, maybe barely even if you own your own shop. Cars are hobbies. Hobbies are expensive.

Look at any fully restored car, and they'll always say "Cost $30k to restore, for sale for $20k"
74Superveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow haha, I wish I got a Mkv GTI for my 16th! I got my 74 super when I was 15 (19 now) and I dont think there is a part of that car I didn't touch. My daily is a 95 GTI VR6 12V. Who cares about resale value though, I don't see why people hate on Supers, I love mine! Put a turbo on it this winter, will be out when snow melts! haha. Good luck with yours dude, Its nice to have a car you can drive and feel proud when it turns heads!
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

74Superveedub wrote:
Wow haha, I wish I got a Mkv GTI for my 16th! I got my 74 super when I was 15 (19 now) and I dont think there is a part of that car I didn't touch. My daily is a 95 GTI VR6 12V. Who cares about resale value though, I don't see why people hate on Supers, I love mine! Put a turbo on it this winter, will be out when snow melts! haha. Good luck with yours dude, Its nice to have a car you can drive and feel proud when it turns heads!

Thanks Very Happy I actually drove it to school for a few days while my GTI was in the shop...it ran great and turned heads the whole time.
girlnouveau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Sorry for all the super hating. I didn't think it was so hardcore around here. Damn.

I own a 73 super. I absolutely adore it. I wish I had mine since I was 16! I've learned so much around here just in a year, can't imagine having 15 years of experience under my belt. You'll be chopping and dropping by the time you're my age.

That fat chick crap is lame.
Any VW you love, is a VW worth restoring.

Keep going, it'll get there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: