Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks 'bus', but the lines are a little off.

Do any of you have info' and additional photos of this curiosity, please? Smile

Thanks.

iowegian wrote:
People who are allowed to have signature lines annoy me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

Tempo?

Man, that 727 is stunning. Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

That is a Boeing 727-31 or "regular" version of the 727. It appears that Dieter there is "servicing" the forward lavatory on the airplane. He needs better gloves and a respirator! Yuk!

While it looks a lot like a cab off a single-cab, I think that it is NOT. Similar but different.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

I found the photo on Facebook, where one other respondent also suggested that it may be a Tempo...

Style, sadly, is definitely becoming more anodyne as the years pass.

iowegian wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

i say roughly a 1960 ford transit. mirror arm and one piece glass windshield.
transit also had sliding window, and vent window.

hanomag and tempo were roll-up, tempo did not have round wheel wells.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

So the question I have is this. Is that thing articulated, or is there some sort of frame for the push/tow vehicle out of the photo to the left?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

wondering about that myself. The actual bus would have had front engine and rear wheel drive.

maybe they put the cab on backwards?
or backwards over the rear wheels?

maybe just a ford cab on something completely different?

Uli

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

That's why I guessed Tempo, weren't they front engine front wheel drive?, I figured it was similar to the Toronado based seaplane dollys used locally. But it does look articulated now that you mention it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

Shocked
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
That's why I guessed Tempo, weren't they front engine front wheel drive?, I figured it was similar to the Toronado based seaplane dollys used locally. But it does look articulated now that you mention it.

i thought of that myself, however all the Tempos do not have rounded wheelweels. Could be custom obviously.

more searching, perhaps a 57 or older tempo?

Uli

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

Door, window and bumper sure look like that one, hmmm....

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

Sure does look like a Tempo. I was just digging around for a photo of a Tempo from the same angle with no luck. But this one is sure nice.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
That is a Boeing 727-31 or "regular" version of the 727. It appears that Dieter there is "servicing" the forward lavatory on the airplane. He needs better gloves and a respirator! Yuk!

While it looks a lot like a cab off a single-cab, I think that it is NOT. Similar but different.

Bill

Bill we called them shorties and I cut my teeth working on them back in the late 80s. We got rid of the last ones in 1993. I've serviced lavs and here's the trick when servicing, always stand to the side when opening the flapper. The flapper is the last line of defense. There's a ball valve also in the discharge tube. A spring loaded dump valve in the tank keeps waste in the tank before it reaches the ball valve. That's not to say a wise guy can't load the tube so when flapper is opened you get a blue water bath. So actually its a triple fail safe before poop escapes. More info than anyone needs I know. You may recall they landed a 727 once missing the #3 engine, seems enough waste had leaked past the flapper forming a huge chunk of ice which came off and was ingested by the engine. It locked up and twisted off the pylon falling 30,000 feet into the desert. They found the engine and we looked at it pending the investigation.
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

Well done, chaps, re: Tempo. Very Happy

That Toronado dolly is a super oddball.

I wonder what the conclusive statement was regarding that 727's engine... 'It ate sh Exclamation t and died.' Laughing

iowegian wrote:
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

Merlin wrote:

I wonder what the conclusive statement was regarding that 727's engine... 'It ate sh Exclamation t and died.' Laughing

Laughing
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

Merlin wrote:
That Toronado dolly is a super oddball.

There's a few variations spread around all the local airports with a seaplane ramp, there's also a 70's Ford 4X4 truck with the ass end missing that does the same thing, odd indeed but super useful.
Make sure you flip the pitman arm or the steering gets a little wierd. Shocked

The poo buggy could steer with the drive wheels, or the spindles are locked and the drag link attaches to the pivot hinge if it articulates, interesting adaptation regardless, and it has much more character and style than any modern equivalent.

Слава Україні!
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

Merlin wrote:

It looks 'bus', but the lines are a little off.

Do any of you have info' and additional photos of this curiosity, please? Smile

Thanks.

Looks like the car jack-knifed, like the front of the car is against the bed of the trailer.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

Speculating how they might have built this: maybe they took a Tempo, lifted and turned the cab around, and left all the rest of the power train, running gear and chassis intact. So the biggest challenge would have been changing the driving and steering controls around.

In the Lufthansa example, the wheels under the cab would still steer, and the wheels at the other end would still propel the vehicle. One advantage of this approach would be that the power train would not have to be changed at all. Everything from the engine to the drive wheels would be left unchanged.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Speculating how they might have built this: maybe they took a Tempo, lifted and turned the cab around, and left all the rest of the power train, running gear and chassis intact. So the biggest challenge would have been changing the driving and steering controls around.

In the Lufthansa example, the wheels under the cab would still steer, and the wheels at the other end would still propel the vehicle. One advantage of this approach would be that the power train would not have to be changed at all. Everything from the engine to the drive wheels would be left unchanged.

I may be wrong, but I always thought the Tempo was front wheel drive and the rear axle was just drug around behind the cab with whatever bed was necessary.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this?! Lufthansa support vehicle... Reply with quote

Found this just now...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: