Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

So, did MG Sunroof get sold? What is the latest?

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

If someone is going to drop coin restoring a crusty bus, this is the one to do up right!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
So, did MG Sunroof get sold? What is the latest?

Yes, it absolutely sold about 1 hour after I posted the pictures. I called and tried to buy it and was basically told I was too late. The guy selling it was amazed that he had phone calls from all over the country (from people wanting to buy it) after it was posted on Facebook for an hour.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

^^ any idea where the new home for the bus will be?
RCMICROBUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

California
RCMICROBUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

Well done on being the lucky new owner. Now pleeeease repay the Karma by starting a build thread. That thing is awesome!

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

RCMicroBus congrats on the new Mouse Grey sunroof standard. Please tell us you are going to keep the original paint and only blend in the lower sections as needed in the rockers and any other sections that need new metal. It would be such a shame to repaint this bus. I hope to see this bus at OCTO after it has been brought back to life.
RCMICROBUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

wonder if this one was a real sunroof bus?

rudygetz
Guaperia Ful Tine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
velvetgreen wrote:
Hard to make out from pics but appears to be original.. Condition speaks for itself but they are not exactly growing on trees

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2640705

I’m pretty sure that is a real deal sunroof standard and not insanely priced, just a huge project with all the hacks, missing seats and rust. The seller also doesn’t have a title in his name. He told me he bought it and got a title but the prior owner signed it in the wrong place and he went back to get it signed in the correct spot and the seller is now deceased.

Hey everyone. I picked this one up. 1965 factory rag top. Needs a lot of work but I've already ordered cargo floors to start there. I'll probably start a build thread.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

rudygetz wrote:
ronjonlasvegas wrote:
velvetgreen wrote:
Hard to make out from pics but appears to be original.. Condition speaks for itself but they are not exactly growing on trees

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2640705

I’m pretty sure that is a real deal sunroof standard and not insanely priced, just a huge project with all the hacks, missing seats and rust. The seller also doesn’t have a title in his name. He told me he bought it and got a title but the prior owner signed it in the wrong place and he went back to get it signed in the correct spot and the seller is now deceased.

Hey everyone. I picked this one up. 1965 factory rag top. Needs a lot of work but I've already ordered cargo floors to start there. I'll probably start a build thread.

Congrats and welcome to the club. Here is a picture of my 1965 sunroof standard bus. You should start a build thread for that bus it certainly has been stripped of everything and abused over the years.

rudygetz
Guaperia Ful Tine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

Can someone help me understand how an 11 window bus came with a ragtop? Were options treated differently than they do today?

Wouldn't an 11 window bus be a standard model, thus not offering any bells and whistles, like a ragtop. I understand why a 23-window bus would offer the ragtop.

Were these customers making special orders? Or were options just treated differently back then?
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

rudygetz wrote:
Can someone help me understand how an 11 window bus came with a ragtop? Were options treated differently than they do today?

Wouldn't an 11 window bus be a standard model, thus not offering any bells and whistles, like a ragtop. I understand why a 23-window bus would offer the ragtop.

Were these customers making special orders? Or were options just treated differently back then?

Special order buses, that is why there are so few of them. I own the red/white 65 standard sunroof in the post above this one. My bus was a tourist delivery bus, so someone went into their dealership in the US and checked what boxes they wanted for options and also decided on the tourist delivery option. So the bus was built in the exact colors and options that were selected and the new owner flew to Germany or another authorized pickup location in Europe and picked up the bus there and drove it around Europe for a week or a month or however long they wanted and once they finished their vacation they dropped it back off to a Volkswagen dealer and it was then shipped over to the US to their dealership they placed the order at.

You did not have to choose the European delivery option, you could have the bus built and then just shipped over to your dealer in the US.

The reason these are so rare is because most people did not want to wait 4+ months for this process to take place. If you went into a dealership and told them that you wanted a Kombi or a Standard with a sunroof the dealers would probably just, try to get them to buy the deluxe 21/23 window bus that was in stock. Most people also did not want to wait 4+ months for the bus to be specially built and then shipped over to the US. My understanding is special orders for bus were much more common in Europe because you could get them delivered so much faster after they were ordered.
rudygetz
Guaperia Ful Tine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
rudygetz wrote:

Special order buses, that is why there are so few of them. I own the red/white 65 standard sunroof in the post above this one. My bus was a tourist delivery bus, so someone went into their dealership in the US and checked what boxes they wanted for options and also decided on the tourist delivery option. So the bus was built in the exact colors and options that were selected and the new owner flew to Germany or another authorized pickup location in Europe and picked up the bus there and drove it around Europe for a week or a month or however long they wanted and once they finished their vacation they dropped it back off to a Volkswagen dealer and it was then shipped over to the US to their dealership they placed the order at.

You did not have to choose the European delivery option, you could have the bus built and then just shipped over to your dealer in the US.

The reason these are so rare is because most people did not want to wait 4+ months for this process to take place. If you went into a dealership and told them that you wanted a Kombi or a Standard with a sunroof the dealers would probably just, try to get them to buy the deluxe 21/23 window bus that was in stock. Most people also did not want to wait 4+ months for the bus to be specially built and then shipped over to the US. My understanding is special orders for bus were much more common in Europe because you could get them delivered so much faster after they were ordered.

Wow. Thanks for taking the time to answer. Makes me even more excited to have purchased my 65 11 window ragtop. I ordered the birth certificate a few weeks back and I'm excited to find out some background on mine.
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

'64 Sunroof Standard Walk-Thru Slider that Daniel Lewis took a picture of at Averys in WA back in the 90s. Talk about features!

I remember this bus being featured in one of the Dave Heard's Transporter Talks in the '90s.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
'64 Sunroof Standard Walk-Thru Slider that Daniel Lewis took a picture of at Averys in WA back in the 90s. Talk about features!

Looks like someone kyped the sunroof with a Skill Saw.
ChiapC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

Hey all! Just finished installing my new sunroof/headliner. Not perfect, but I'll take it. Gotta learn somehow!

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

Looking good.
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling all 11w golde sunroof owners - Ragtop non-Deluxe Buses Reply with quote

rudygetz wrote:

Not just VWs, but in general options were treated differently back then. If the customer was willing to place the order and wait for it. It wasn't so much like today where if you want a sunroof you also have to get the premium sound system and leather seats.
I know someone who has a 1970 Pontiac GTO that was ordered by the owner with a bench seat and column shifter because he wanted a muscle car but was planning on starting a family.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: