Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bracket cover
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:52 am    Post subject: Bracket cover Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi Guys, I wonder if somebody can help me out with something? I'm fixing up a '66 Ghia and the rear end is rather beaten up and bent out of shape.

I'm trying to dry fit the rear bumper bracket and bracket covers.
When I insert the rubber seals around the holes in the body, the bracket cover seems to sit awkwardly and allows the rubber to be seen like in pic (A)

How do I hide the rubber seal under the bracket like (B)

Do I remove it altogether or do I have to angle the bracket cover somehow to hide it.
As I say the car is a not 100% straight but I want to dry fit as best I can at the moment and get a feel for what should be going on!
Thanks for any help Russell
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bracket cover Reply with quote

I went through the same issues. First you need to make sure you have the correct brackets, as well as the correct covers. I'm restoring a 71 Ghia and the PO just through parts on it without regard to correctness. Turns out I had pre 70 brackets and covers and they didn't fit correctly. The difference can be hard to see. I documented my issues. Here's the link to pictures and a write up. Scroll down to Sept 8th.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=680

I'm not sure how many variations of the brackets and covers there is, but you want to make sure you don't have the 70/71 parts. from 55 to 69, there may be a few other changes but I suspect that your 66 would take the same parts that you'll see on my thread. I ended up removing all of the brackets and covers that came with my car and installing the correct 70/71 parts and the fit was perfect.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bracket cover Reply with quote

To make matters worse there are also repro covers that don't fit well.
I'd look for OG brackets and covers for 56 - 70 as I think they are all the same.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bracket cover Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
I'd look for OG brackets and covers for 56 - 70 as I think they are all the same.

Maybe 56 to 69 are the same, I don't know, but I'm sure that the brackets and covers changed in 70.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bracket cover Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Ian Godfrey wrote:

Maybe 56 to 69 are the same, I don't know, but I'm sure that the brackets and covers changed in 70.

Is it the mounting holes that changed on 70-71?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bracket cover Reply with quote

Parts book shows same parts all the way up to Chassis No. 141 3200 000. '71 model year.

There are 4 part numbers corresponding with each corner and a "B" version for the overriders/towell rail version.

If yours' don't fit right, I suggest there's some trimming or elongation of holes that's needed to get then exact. The bumpers are quite a fiddle to get them right.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bracket cover Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Ian Godfrey wrote:

Is it the mounting holes that changed on 70-71?

Speaking specifically about the rear 70/71 covers, they have several differences. The shape was changed on both ends. The 70/71 covers are wider and mount higher so there is a dropped edge at the back to fit under the bumper. The mounting holes changed. They mount with only one screw where as the previous covers attach with 2 screws\bolts. In place of the 2nd screw there is a raised bump that fits into a whole on the bracket. The two screws on the older covers are spaced further apart so the holes on the brackets are in different locations. The end result is that they do not mate up to the body in the same location so the shape of the forward end is totally different.

For 70/71, the holes on the brackets are also slanted. This allows the covers to not only adjust forward and backward, but also raise up and down as they are adjusted against the body.

Its easy to tell the 70/71 brackets from the older brackets by noticing the two holes for the covers are closer together and slanted.

The front bumpers for 70/71 have similar changes as well. it is possible to trim or cut the front edge of the covers but I tried that before realizing I had the wrong covers and brackets and it was a pain and I never did get a great fit. I ended up finding the correct parts and doing it right.

Again, this link has pictures showing the differences.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=680

If covers are not being installed, either bracket can be used as there is no change to how they mount to the car and bumper.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bracket cover Reply with quote

Thanks Marc
Those are quite a different part. I’m intrigued how the parts book includes the later large bumper but totally misses the details of the 70/71.
The map is not the territory..

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bracket cover Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Thanks Marc
Those are quite a different part. I’m intrigued how the parts book includes the later large bumper but totally misses the details of the 70/71.
The map is not the territory..

Nicholas

I know, it's amazing how many little changes are done every year and how little documentation was done. Many of them totally not noticeable unless rebuilding one of these gems.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bracket cover Reply with quote

Thanks guys I am going to double check the year model on the rubber seal packet!
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bracket cover Reply with quote

and don't start us on those pesky rubber seals between the cover and the body.... Rolling Eyes
I think Marc has most of the relevant info in his thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: