Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Widened Balljoint Beams
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theburnout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Widened Balljoint Beams Reply with quote

Does anyone know of anyone who builds a widened balljoint beam?

I'm not skilled enough to build one- it just isn't an option.

I've seen a number of widened king pin and link pin options, but that's it.

This would be going on a late model baja.

I'm also not in a position to weld a new frame head on, not skilled enough to hack one together from two beams, not interested in converting to a-arms.

I'm very specifically looking for a widened balljoint beam.

TIA.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Widened Balljoint Beams Reply with quote

Along with wider beam, comes longer tie rods. .
I installed spacersto move the wheels out. Not ideal, but . . . It is what it is.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Widened Balljoint Beams Reply with quote

I've seen a few available from various dune buggy suppliers. I have an eight inch over width one on my Rat Rod Trail Rail. It has it's pros and cons.

On the con side: It makes the turning radius larger. Sometimes, I have to to do a back and forth to get around sharp mining trail turns. It takes four adjusters to raise the torsion's.

On the pro side: It's very stable flying down the Interstate at high speeds or sliding down a pile of loose mine Tailings that I thought was the trail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Widened Balljoint Beams Reply with quote

I built my own...
I haven't used it yet, but I used Thing spindles and arms. 4 adjusters and a little math to know where to cut... I also added solid stops "hook and pin" or something as to not blow out a ball joint. I made my own tie rod as well but I'll be changing then cuz I bought a center mount rack.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Widened Balljoint Beams Reply with quote

you could use these to put a link pin beam in the front of a BJ bug or make them...
https://www.pacificcustoms.com/saco60-2021.html

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Widened Balljoint Beams Reply with quote

66 Shorty wrote:
I built my own...

Did you pre-weld the adjusters to those short center sections, then weld those assy's between the beam tubes afterwards? Or are they just laid loose in those angle irons for these pics?

Also, once you shortened the leaf packs, and installed them into the new widened assembly, what's the best way to mark the springs for drilling the dimples so that the grub screws end up being exactly where you want them on the springs? It seems like if they're drilled too much one way or the other, then either the arm won't close in enough on the torsion seal, or it will compress the seal too tightly. There must be some ideal happy medium, it seems, for proper seal fitment.
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Widened Balljoint Beams Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
66 Shorty wrote:
I built my own...

Did you pre-weld the adjusters to those short center sections, then weld those assy's between the beam tubes afterwards? Or are they just laid loose in those angle irons for these pics?

Also, once you shortened the leaf packs, and installed them into the new widened assembly, what's the best way to mark the springs for drilling the dimples so that the grub screws end up being exactly where you want them on the springs? It seems like if they're drilled too much one way or the other, then either the arm won't close in enough on the torsion seal, or it will compress the seal too tightly. There must be some ideal happy medium, it seems, for proper seal fitment.

Everything was just sitting there loose for a picture. When everything was welded together it was set up on a fixture table & TIG welded together. There are actually short pieces inside each end of each tube & adjuster, so the beam kind of sleeves over the short tubes adding strength to the joint.

As far as the dimples for the screws, I did some math at first for that. Then assembled everything, marked where to dimple the spring packs, & verified the locations for them. Dimpled them, put everything back together & it was perfect. (which was actually better than the 3 other original stock beams I measured out... Laughing ) Any little amount of deviation will not affect it much, as it is adjustable with the camber adjusters. That's probably why the original stock beams are not perfect... One of the first beams I rebuilt stock with drop spindles had the spring pack put in the lower tube backwards & the dimples didn't line up causing one side to be really tight up against the seal & the other side was away from the seal... That showed me how off they are from the factory, & you need to keep the right side with the right & left side with the left, & also the upper in the upper & lower in the lower.... This widened beam came out way better than stock & the seals would be the same, if I had seals on them... Instead I made Delrin bushings/sleeves for the arms instead of using the original seal, needle, & micarta bearings.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Widened Balljoint Beams Reply with quote

66 Shorty wrote:
Everything was just sitting there loose for a picture. When everything was welded together it was set up on a fixture table & TIG welded together. <snip>

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply. I saw a nice jig recently for drilling dimples, but I think if I have to do it, I will go freestyle Smile
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Widened Balljoint Beams Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
66 Shorty wrote:
Everything was just sitting there loose for a picture. When everything was welded together it was set up on a fixture table & TIG welded together. <snip>

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply. I saw a nice jig recently for drilling dimples, but I think if I have to do it, I will go freestyle Smile

You shouldn't have any issues if you pay attention. Good luck! 😁
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: