Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Stove-front Group Refurb ~ Next batch: TBA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're already powder coating, have you thought about painting both table arms and the front table support/bracket located behind the driver's seat?

Famous last words for a home remodeling project: "While we're at it..."

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, we pulled every single gray metal piece for powdercoating, including the cabinet metal bracket and side edge trim near the sink behind driver's seat, the front table bracket and both legs, the side-to-side metal edge on the rear bench, side-to-side metal edge on upper bunk when opened, upper bed hinges, grate vents for fridge at the bottom and on the side facing water tank cabinet, grate for fridge that runs along the panel below the window, and some people also pulled the poptop bars and latch parts.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are sandblasting and powdercoating tomorrow. Today we ran a single metal piece to compare colors, in the picture below you can see on the right the back of a factory stove front plate with the original color and on the left a powdercoated metal trim from the stove cabinet lid. The colors are very similar but the powdercoated piece came out a bit more glossy than factory. I think they can tone down the gloss with an extra layer of clear coat for those that want to take down the gloss.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is final product after sandblast, powdercoat, and silk screen, I might add a final layer of clear coat.

markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks so nice it is ridiculous Very Happy
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had 5 of these powdered coated and silkscreened. The printer is saving the 3 small specially made screens in case we get another batch to print. If there is interest, we could set a date to have your stove face and LED panel to us and then we get the bulk price for the printing.

You could send your stove front and LED panel to us already painted or powder coated, of just in the sorry shape it is now, and we can have it done. So PM me if this is of interest to you.

The cost of getting just one professionally screened will be very high because of all the setup costs, but we have endured those costs and so hope others can take advantage of this.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)

Last edited by davideric9 on Sat May 09, 2009 11:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:
We had 5 of these powdered coated and silkscreened. The printer is saving the 3 small specially made screens in case we get another batch to print. If there is interest, we could set a date to have your screen to us and then we get the bulk price for the printing.

You could send your stove front and LED panel to us already painted or powder coated, of just in the sorry shape it is now, and we can have it done. So PM me if this is of interest to you.

The cost of getting just one professionally screened will be very high because of all the setup costs, but have endured those costs and so hope others can take advantage of this.

You do'in it for free?
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Interested, but... Reply with quote

Art, I think, wants an idea of the tariff, and I would also like to know if you could do the job in brown and white, for we older Wesfalians.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took many parts of four vanagon to the powder coaters (plus the stove face and LED panel from a fifth), so our per piece price may have been lower than what you might find for just one stove face. Our cost for sand blasting and powder coating a stove face and LED panel was around $20. Our per piece printing cost was around $35 ea.

The brown/White, Gray/Black is not an issue. The key to this project is the printing. The stove face need not be powder coated, you can rattle can yours. I just didn't want the stickers, and if I did, not all the stickers are available.

As for the Brown, we picked a gray from stock colors, not color matching, did one piece as a test and were way off. Then we selected a darker gray which we are very happy with. I won't say its the original color, because I don't know what the original color looked like. We had gray parts from 5 vans and they all aged differently, so I don't believe any of the colors on any part of the old vans I saw were showroom matches. We love our choice of gray and think its perfect. The only problem is the gloss and as of now we have not had them deglossed, I like it but I think its shiner than the original.

We did have a couple of the stove faces sprayed down after the printing, and I admit it looks very nice. But its still a matter of taste.

That being said, matching brown can be judgment call and I'd suggest you get your stove "browned" prior to sending it to us for the white printing, which will be perfect match to all the other white printing in the westy.

Again, I am just checking to see if there is an interest in the printing and as we have now some experience with the sandblasting and powder coating, we can have yours done as well, but Its better if you get it "painted" before it comes to us for printing. That way you will be happy with the color and finish.

We have no special secret, any of you can contact your local screen printer and get this done. Our guy has done the hard part making custom screen to fit between the raised edges of the stove face. And these screens will last for many stoves.

What do you think?

p.s. I'd like to thank Art because his free laser printed taped on graphics were my inspiration for contacting the screen printer. Thanks Art.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a heads up for those in the Bay Area and interested in restoring the sink/stove front plate, David will be coordinating another batch of powder coating and silk screening so speak up if you want in.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. PM me if you are interested, looks like the cost for us will be around $55 per stove. This includes the sand blasting, powder coating and printing. Printing alone (if you gets your cleaned up and painted first) is around $35.

I'm doing this again because I gave my restored stove face to someone who did a huge vanagon favor for me. So now I need to restore the one he gave me.

Exact prices will depend upon the total number of stoves.

Feel free to send yours if you are out side the S.F. bay area.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump up.

It looks like we are getting good feedback, several people have already replied through private message to do this. Anyone else interested? Like David said, you can also send in your front plate if you are not bay area local.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is something you may never see again... Hot off the press, really, they just came out of the oven, baked to set the epoxy ink.

madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet picture David..

kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sanded and spay painted my stove front it's been about 2 years now and am very happy with the results. I've since added the little "Westfalia" sticker to the right of the LED panel and I found some generic knobs that work well and look great. Not the way to go if you want to retain total stock look but in my opinion these vans are meant to be really used and I could care less about keeping it stock.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfinwesty Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked to Dave....I am in for the next round. Great idea! To do this myself would cost more, and I would more than likely screw it up Embarassed

Thanks for looking out for us.

Retired:
"Swell Chaser #1" 1980 Westy (in VW Heaven)
"Swell Chaser #2" 1981 Westy (sold to loving family on TheSamba forum)
smcclure23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone post details about where this work was done? I'd especially like to replicate the silk screening -- and I live in the Bay Area to boot...
Ryan Alfonso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I too late? Help! Me too. Me too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smcclure23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in touch with the company that did the original silk screening. They still have the screens and will be happy to run another batch of stove fronts if there is interest.

Here's the deal:
(1) You will have to have your stove front repainted yourself. This is just for the silk screening. (If this is a problem, there is a possibility that I can arrange powder coating from another company. However, I don't have any experience with this and am a bit nervous about taking responsibility for getting colors right.)

(2) The more interest there is, the cheaper it is. With 1 person the cost is $100. With 15 or more, the cost drops to $35 each.

(3) I believe they can screen in black or white but will have to check. Let me know what color you are hoping for.

(4) If you are interested, PM me, include your email address, and I will keep a tally and be in touch with costs and the rest.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you where we did powdercoating last time, I think I still keep the paint code around for gray interior.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: