Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

similarities/differences between VW bug/Porsche 914
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunnman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: similarities/differences between VW bug/Porsche 914 Reply with quote

found a 914 locally for cheap money and plan on buying it today. My problem is that i dont know much about porsches and i cant even see the engine! LOL Do many of the parts cross over? can i buy VW brakes eng parts etc. besides the obvious-mid engine- What are the major similarities /differences between a bug and a 914?
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out these guys:

http://www.914world.com/

They know EVERYTHING. You're wastin' your time and energy by hanging around here.

We just sit around drinking coffee and farting . . .
theadmiral1000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is almost nothing major in common between a Bug and a 914. Different engines, transmissions, brakes, list goes on. They are very different beasts each with their own strengths and weaknesses.
MRRAGPICKER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing on that 914 that is like a VW is the engine. It is a type 4 engine. similar to the ones in mid to late 70's buses and the VW 411 and 412 cars.
cbcarch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: 914/Beetle Reply with quote

Almost nothing.
Even the engines are quite different.
Type 1 VW single carb in Beetle
Type 4 VW dual carb in 914-4
Rare 914-6 had early 911 flat 6 engine

cheers.... Wink
'70 Ghia
Street legal rail buggy
'70 Beetle Cabriolet
2014 Porsche Boxster S
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not one 914 4 cylinder was sold in the USA with dual carbs, all came with FI.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ou8avw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Major Transition Reply with quote

I just got into a 914 restoration and I can tell you, it’s a whole new world. It was good advice sending you to 914world.com , They are the bomb. I am a die-hard VW man but the 914 was the holy-grail in my youth. The parts so-far have been more expensive but not so hard to find. It seems the support for these cars is a little more organized than for my Ghias (no offence to present company). The “hard to find parts” are easy to track down as so many of these cars are rusted beyond belief and are being parted out. As far as actually working on them, it’s about the same as my Ghia, both built by Karmann.
turnaround89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you fix a vw bug? If you can, you can fix anything on a 914. I have both and haven't found anything that difficult to fix on either of them. Parts are a little more expensive because of the name, Porsche. However, the vw bug has probably the lowest part prices ever(which makes them awesome), so anything you build, will probably be more expensive. Personally, im not a big fan of the stock 914 look, a love fender flares so i added those to mine. Going for a 916 clone. Hope you have fun with yours. Every time i get out of mine, im always smiling bc the car is a blast to drive!!!!!!! Even the times i had to have it towed, up to the towing part, the drive was freaking awesome.

Major differences: Handling and Shifting. The 914 is known for vague shifts, just takes a little more skill to drive the car, no worries, once you know how to drive it, you can pretty much out handle most other cars. They may not be the quickest accelerating or highest top speed car ever, but i haven't yet driven a car that is more fun than my 914!! uncles boxster doesn't compare, neither does my cousin 944, both way higher power, but both not nearly as fun!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: