Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Boston Bob passed away, 10-23-08.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Boston Bob passed away, 10-23-08. Reply with quote

Boston Bob died last night. The Vanagon community has lost a true artist. Any one who has read his post or followed his advice or better yet has one of his engines is now better for this man living.
I never met or talked to the man,but I always agreed with his techniques as far as wrenching goes.

Stacy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saddened by this. I had heard from Ken Wilford that he was ill, but no details. I have talked with Bob, and in his enthusiastic voluminosity he shared a true sense of caring and camaraderie in the work we both have liked to do, peppered with wry humor. In dealing with him he was always helpful and fair. He'll be missed.

Those that are being pushed around by his handiwork should honor him by taking really good care of those engines; that's all of them there are.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer... i installed 3 of his engines and never had a problem.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to know Bob when he assisted me in assemblng my Camper Special last year. I would drive the 100 miles down to his shop on Sunday mornings and he would hover over my assembly work like a little old lady. "Remember who will have to push this thing, when it doesn't work", he used to tell me.

"It is all about tolerences" he also used to tell me. We measured everything 3 times, until it was acceptable to him. No short cuts, no cheap shots. "I have seen every shitty rebuild ever done as I tear them apart in this shop. Most of these people should be working at McDonalds."

He was truely a fine machinist and fussy/anal retentive about all aspects of engine assembly. He could be cranky about filing the burr off an engine case one minute and then tell (for the millionth time) the story about the 2 nurses and have me rolling in the isles of his shop. He had a good laugh.

He always told me, "you have to have committment (to doing a good job)before you can have any pride (in your work). Committment before pride." Good words to live by to this very day.

He could not only recite the fine work of the Firesign Theater (to which I usually knew the next line), but he also knew the script of Blazing Saddles by heart. I bought the movie so that I could respond appropriately and not be diminished in his view. He enjoyed the finer parts of life and humor.

A true family man also.

I last saw him in September when I picked up an engine to deliver to Wayne in Nova Scotia on my vacation. We both knew it was our last time to say goodbye, and we both had a good laugh and a good handshake when we parted. I am glad I made the trip.

He was my friend and I don't have a lot of them. I have one less now. I only wish I had met him 20 years ago.

Randy in Maine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bloog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am truly saddened to hear this awful news! Bob was a great guy and would never fail to get me laughing every chance he got.
My condolences go out to his family.

chabanais wrote:
Ah... you buy from Sum Ting Wong Distribution Company.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll echo what Randy said.

In July of 2007, I phoned Bob out of the blue because I was going to be in Boston on a business trip, and just wanted to drop in for a few minutes to see his place, because I'd heard and read so much about him. I didn't want to waste his time or keep him from his work, but he talked to me on the phone for about a half hour or more. When I visited in Aug 2007, he showed me around for about an hour in the middle of a work day, and I wasn't even planning on buying an engine. It didn't matter. Had a wonderful visit.

6 months later, in Jan of 2008, I needed a new engine, so I got one off Bob, and had many conversations throughout the transaction. He was endlessly helpful in all aspects, from shipping, to calming me down during panicky phone calls on a Saturday morning during the install.

I returned to Boston in July 2008 on business, and returned an engine core and my core engine parts to him. Unfortunately, he was off sick at that time, and I never got to see him again.

He will be missed. And yes, I'll make sure I take damn good care of that engine.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Bob Donalds passed away early this morning, at 1:35am. He was 55 and lost a tough battle with cancer.

For over 30 years 'Boston Bob' has been building top quality air-cooled and water-boxer Volkswagen engines. Many of you may have engines that were built by Boston Engine in your VW. Many of more of you likely have met and talked to Bob. He was a regular vendor at the Litchfield and Terryville, CT VW shows. Below is a picture of Bob sitting in his 84 Camper at the 2008 Litchfield, CT Bug-In.

I first met Bob in the late 80's after the motor in my '71 bus got cooked on the way home from the Litchfield show. Bob helped me diagnose the problem, sold me the necessary parts and provided expert advice on how to do a top end rebuild in my driveway. Since then I have purchased several long blocks from Bob and every one of them has been a strong runner for many years. All three of my buses currently have motors in them from Boston Bob and they are all still running strong. Here is a link to the Boston Engine website.
http://www.bostonengine.com/

Only time will tell what the future is for Boston Engine without Bob. Gary LaBlanc is still assembling motors for Boston Engine and has been working with Bob for over 10 years now. Bob was very generous about sharing his knowledge of VW engines and I'm sure Gary has learned a lot from him. The last two motors I purchased from Boston Engine were assembled by Gary and are both doing fine.

All indications are that Gary, Bob's wife Karen, and Cyrus Vatan will continue to build the same top quality motors that we have come to expect from Boston Engine. They certainly will need some time to grieve their loss and to catch up with current orders. So be please be patient if you are a current customer of Boston Engine.

Discussions are happening on how to properly honor Bob's life at his funeral. A caravan of Volkswagens has already been discussed. Watch this space for more details as they develop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709

Last edited by Stanagon on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:51 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll look for details, Stanagon. I ache for his family.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many, I never met Bob, but had many conversations with him
before and during my purchase on a Type 4 engine from him.He was
very detailed in making sure I understood what he does to make it more
reliable and was very dedicated to the process.
Like Randy said, I received my engine in Sept and I'm looking forward
to installing it this winter, and I will be following Bob's advice to the letter.

Wayne
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally meet Bob over the winter and you couldn't ask for nicer guy!! He lived right down the street from my work and I meet Gary and his family too. I'm deeply saddened. I always respected his work and thought so highly of him. The heads he worked on for me take on an priceless, irreplaceable value now being services by a VW legend.

Stanagon wrote:
A caravan of Volkswagens has already been discussed. Watch this space for more details as they develop.
Please keep details posted.

Love, prayers and best wishes to his family....
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScottK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replied to the thread in the bay window forum, I didn't know this post was here.

I just got my engine from Bob a couple of months ago, and have spoken on the phone with him several times lately. I had no idea he was ill, he always took the time to answer my silly questions and built me a nice engine.

Damn.

R.I.P. Bob, and my sincere condolences to the family.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

truly a great loss to all of us.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
Vwman55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke with him on the phone a few times. The man loved to talk. Sad day indeed. He'll be missed.
R.I.P Bob
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always sad to hear news like this... RIP Bob.

My prayers and condolences go out to your friends and family.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
78Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will attend the drive
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ugmold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a gas cap from him on local Craigs List, I didn't realize it was him til now, as he said he was from Wayland. He wanted to know about my Bus and if there was anything else I needed, and to come visit.

Seemed like a really great cat, sorry to hear the News.

ugmold
Joy Hecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Boston Bob - - please help! Reply with quote

I've just seen the news about Bob's death. He was a good friend and a good person - not to mention having produced the engine that keeps my van alive. Would that he could have done that for himself.

But this post isn't just to express my own sadness. As some of you know. Bob's teen-aged daughter Julie is severely retarded. Bob and his wife Karen were under extreme pressure all the time because of the challenges of taking care of her, both emotional and financial. Bob had an insurance policy with which he hoped Julie would be supported after his death, but I cannot imagine he though it would come so soon. Karen was working nights so that one of them could always be around to mind Julie when she wasn't in school, as she cannot be left alone. They had little cash to spare even with two incomes.

I would love to see the vanagon community make a significant donation to help Bob's family at this time. I have already put some funds into the pay-it-forward fund managed by Larry Chase for that purpose. (It's easy, go to http://www.roadhaus.com/store.html.) I hope anyone else who has benefited from Bob's engines, his advice, or his friendship will also contribute to whatever extent is feasible for you, to help his wife and their other two children (both in college, I think) deal with the challenges now facing them.

Thanks. Bob gave us a lot, I hope we can give back.
mrlimbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known Bob for years. I had a similar experience as Randy. He also helped me assemble my engine for my green Vanagon. His knowledge and advice were invaluable. Just when I thought a certain part was ready, he would look at it and say, not yet and push me to make it better. I'll miss him as a friend and VW guru.

I loved his 'Bob-isms'. "Its the heavy-duty version of the standard unit" or "Guaranteed not to crack, break or chip and if it breaks in two, you get to keep both pieces!"

The VW community has lost a good friend. I'll miss him. My prayers go out to his family.
'01 Jetta Honey's car
Looking for a Vanagon weekender or Escorial green camper.
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very sad news ...my heart goes out to his family and friends in their time of loss Sad
warmerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to Boston last summer and met Bob I had never met him in person before.
I used one of his articles as a guide to build an engine, and called him once or twice to ask specific questions.

I had a blow-out on my way to his house and he stopped everything he was doing that day and set me up for the night , fill my water tank, etc. Gave me a tour, of his shop, some local history.
A very nice setting in woods in an historic area.

He set up an appointment to get new tires at Greg's VW in Natick the next day, and all the time I was there he told me about his life , his business, his retarded daughter .
He told me of the stresses in his life and how he wanted to go on a road trip like mine if he only had the time. He never told me of his bouts with cancer .

He offered me to camp out in his yard, gave me the use of his bead blaster and spray paint to refinish a propane tank I was selling.

Meeting him and his family in person blew away any stereotypes I may have had about mechanics in general.
Meeting Bob made my trip to Massachussets. I never saw Boston. But I met Boston Bob.
Like every one else who knew him is saying, he treated you like a firend, not just a customer.
He was a new friend and I will miss him.
Robert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: