Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weight and engine RPMs
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghiachimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:36 pm    Post subject: Weight and engine RPMs Reply with quote

At the risk of asking a dumb question, I’m curious to know if the weight of vehicle affects the rpms of the engine.

By that I mean if you took the transmission and engine out of one car and put it into another that weighed less, would the rpms be lower in the lighter car when both cars are measured travelling at the same speed?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight and engine RPMs Reply with quote

RPM depends on transmission gear ratios and tire size, weight would have nothing to do with it unless the clutch was slipping, or it was an automatic of some sort and horribly overloaded.

But running the same RPM in a heavier vehicle might create cooling problems at some speeds, if the engine has to work harder but the fan is still moving at a slower speed damage might occur. Much like the problems those "freeway flyer" transmissions cause.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ghiachimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Weight and engine RPMs Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. As I said, probably a dumb question but the more I thought it over the less sure I became....

So just to be clear: if 2 cars with identical tire size, transmissions and engines (but one car was lighter in weight than the other) were both travelling at 60mph their tachometers would both be reading the same RPMs?

The reason behind my question is this is :

I'm seeing 2600rpm on my tacho at 60mph . I have a 1641cc engine, stock 165/80/15 tires, and an AM code 1300 transmission (assuming its therefore 4.375 ratio). I expected to see around 3000rpm.

The biggest difference between my car and a standard Beetle is it has a 356 coupe fibreglass body, hence it weighs less and that's why I was curious if weight could have an affect on the rpms I'm seeing.

Of course, there are other variables: it's entirely possible my tacho is inaccurate, maybe the transmission has been rebuilt to a non-standard ratio. They're the 2 unknowns that come to mind right now.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Weight and engine RPMs Reply with quote

Weight has nothing to do with engine RPM. If your seeing a difference between two cars it's in the gearing and tire size, or yes possibly not accurate tach.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight and engine RPMs Reply with quote

Could also be an inaccurate speedometer.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight and engine RPMs Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
Could also be an inaccurate speedometer.

"Tach" or "tacho" is British for speedometer.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
ghiachimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Weight and engine RPMs Reply with quote

Here in the UK we tend to call Speedometers "Speedos" and tachometers anything from "Tachs" to "Tachos" to "Rev Counters". Razz

But yes it is a third thing for me to check - perhaps my Speedo is reading false as well. It is nearly 70 years old !
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight and engine RPMs Reply with quote

As others have said the revs should be the same.

But the other thing to consider about load on the engine is the frontal area and the drag coefficient on the 356 body I would ass(ume) would be slipperier in the air than the bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: