Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

flobar00 wrote:
The rebuild of our 74 Ghia convertible continues with a focus on stitching the heater channels and rocker panels back to the main body section. I started the process by drilling the new holes in the fresh pans to mate with the new heater channels. Next, I've bolted the heater channels to the pan so that I can get a correct body alignment as I mate the upper body to the channels with a proper alignment to the pan. This is quite a tedious process and taking loads of time. Once I get the alignment correct, I'll start to tack the heater channels to the main body.

If anyone has any suggestions with this process it would be greatly appreciated.

When we went through the same process, the panelpeater guy insisted that we should trial fit the doors as well before welding the heater channels in place. It took several trial fits before we had everything - gaps and so on - correct. Hope this helps.

Chris M
WestyMeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

The weather hasn't been terribly cooperative, and I didn't have time to get into anything major or involved this weekend, so I did this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Need to work on covering up the excess threads and probably should slap some new black paint on the shift stick, but I wanted to add something that made it distinctly mine. Cool

Clear turn signal covers added and temporary amber bulbs in them. I will be switching to LEDs, so hopefully the amber won't show through the lens so much. Acceptable for now. Smile

I also got a "good job cleaning the interior" prize!

It's in ok shape, but needs a little rust removal and lube. Pretty neat find. Laughing

1968 Karmann Ghia-some fancy white
1985 Westfalia-some crap brown
1971 Opel GT-hubby's first car
1974 914-mostly rust colored
2007 Cayman S-Sapphire Blue (so pretty!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Very cool shift knob. I have a silly 12 ball because it’s purple.
Since you’re painting the rod anyway I have a few ideas on making the threads go away. The least invasive is to look at 1/2” gas pipes at Lowes or Depot. They normally have a plastic thread protector on the ends which would cover nicely.
Most invasive would be to fill them with bondo.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyMeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Ooooo, I like the idea of the thread covers from the gas pipes, I'll look for one today! I'm really not wild about bondo and permanently modifying the stick, so I think option one is the way to go.

The knob that was on it was worn and old and didn't really match anything in the car. I know the dandelion knob is kind of silly, but I like it, and that's all that matters. Laughing

1968 Karmann Ghia-some fancy white
1985 Westfalia-some crap brown
1971 Opel GT-hubby's first car
1974 914-mostly rust colored
2007 Cayman S-Sapphire Blue (so pretty!)
curtw_944
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Had parts com in. Have my Air beam, and new wheels and tires come in. Also got some dent repair tools to tackle the rear 1/4 panel. Cant wait to start working on the VWS again.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Chasing an engine problem, I found the intake a little loose and one of the single port crush rings not entirely crushed. Also sent the carb out to get rebuilt and he found the mixture screw threads stripped.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167
Jump to:
Page 167 of 167

Jump to: