Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jakenator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Looks really good dude.
This is where it gets really fun as well as really frightening.
Trying to put it all together without scratching something or weird adhesive squishies is a fun challenge.
Thanks for sharing too.
Start your own thread in the main Ghia forum and please share more.
Everyone wants to know every minute detail. 😎

Thanks man. I'm a little gun shy. I spent nearly 4 yrs creating a build thread for my truck (GM Performance forum) starting back in 2012 and that forum was deleted. 30+ pages of amazing interactions gone. I even kept my Photobucket subscription going for an extra 10 yrs only to find out that all my hosted pics are no longer available. Really frustrating.

Looks like this forum has a little more hope. At least they host their own pics. That's a plus.

Posting is rewarding but a lot of work. I'll need to be talked into it. I have 600+ pics and documented the whole thing. Quite a journey.

Cheers and thanks again.

Jake
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Jakenator wrote:

Thanks man. I'm a little gun shy. I spent nearly 4 yrs creating a build thread for my truck (GM Performance forum) starting back in 2012 and that forum was deleted. 30+ pages of amazing interactions gone. I even kept my Photobucket subscription going for an extra 10 yrs only to find out that all my hosted pics are no longer available. Really frustrating.

Looks like this forum has a little more hope. At least they host their own pics. That's a plus.

Posting is rewarding but a lot of work. I'll need to be talked into it. I have 600+ pics and documented the whole thing. Quite a journey.

Cheers and thanks again.

Jake

Hi Jake, welcome to The Samba. Ask anyone here, you're in the right place.

The Samba Gallery is secure, there are millions of pictures here and many have been here for up to 25 years, you'll not lose your pictures. 600+ of them, if you have the time, we have the space. Try to describe each picture, the year of your Ghia with the picture if nothing else...others will be searching pictures relating to year details. Smile

Looking forward to your new topic.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

i cussed at it for not starting and when i went to go open the engine lid so i can put a trickle charger on it i found out that the engine lid wont open now and its in the teens here today so i dont know when i will get to it. #$@^&*!!!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I hate the little surprises.
This week I reinstalled the new engine and got it running, sort of. Cleared the #1 idle circuit now it’s good. Installed a new high torque starter just to have one. The SR-15 was working fine and is on the shelf for another day.
My little surprises were the idle circuit which was easy enough to fix but also my 10 Disc CD changer from 1991 threw an error code. Found a disc that wouldn’t eject. Thankfully, emptying the CD cassette and power cycling everything made it eject and currently is working. Lastly, the shop that did an alignment for me last year won’t do it now. They “don’t feel comfortable” working on it. I told them they should hire people with more self-confidence.
So now I’m searching for an alignment shop that’ll do it. I’ve been to 4 so far and two of them blame their equipment and two others are also too scared.
I have to find one somewhere as I’m eating up my front right tire.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I got a new dress for Rose.
Old:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New:

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtw_944
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I bought parts for my Ghia last week, A couple swan neck mirrors, a new windshield sprayer, and everything to do a dropped and narrowed front end Bagged. Next I will be getting some low back seats and a new hood. Thing are starting to come together.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

New "Allard Shorrock" sticker for the dash. Made by Isaydingdong.co.uk to any specification you like. I had this one reduced in size from their normal one, 3 inches wide rather than the normal 4 inch wide one.

They have a great selection of vintage car stickers. www.Isaydingdong.co.uk

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

The work on a 50+ year old car never stops. I've had to replace this whole assembly because the part leaked gearbox oil, progressively more, at the point indicated with the screwdriver.

The good news is that it was a warranty job, so it didn't cost me anything. The bad news is that some fool put a small dent in the front guard (fender) of my car. So small that you have to look for it, and even then, very difficult to see. So I'm leaving it as is. My car is not a trophy but my daily driver. Irritating, though.

More good news, I suppose: The sun is up for the rest of the long weekend, and maybe Nicholas wants to come around for coffee and a drive in a Ghia.

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Hmmm.. That's a strong hint Chris... How about a visit to the Warbirds at Ardmore Airport?
Nicholas
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Hmmm.. That's a strong hint Chris... How about a visit to the Warbirds at Ardmore Airport?
Nicholas

Done. 9am tomorrow. It will count as "What did you do to your Ghia this week".
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

So Chris and I went for a drive to Ardmore and the Warbirds were having the day off celebrating Easter Sunday. Nothing to see on this day but the reconnoitre to map the route is complete and we can visit another day.

It was a lovely drive along the south east coast outside Auckland. We paused for a short photo opportunity.

The car ran well and pulled along the curves really well. An enjoyable Autumn morning.

Nicholas
NM Lowlight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Brought it home.

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

NM Lowlight wrote:
Brought it home.

Dry state Lowlight, solid? complete? '56? '57?...starting a restoration thread? Very Happy
NM Lowlight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Dry state Lowlight, solid? complete? '56? '57?...starting a restoration thread? Very Happy

Thanks for asking! Your black '58 is a real treat to look at.

This one was made in August of '56, and has build number 7454. It had Lizard Green paint originally, and I'd like it to have that again. The car is a transplant to NM, so not as solid as I would like. It has been treated poorly in some respects, mostly in the form of shoddy body work (rockers and rear quarters especially) likely done in the '80s or '90s. Hood and deck lid are not original to the car, and I am missing many of the original/correct parts. The guy I bought it from took it apart more than 10 years ago, did the chassis work, and then let it sit. I had to put the body back onto the pan to get it to my place.

Aside from all that, I love it! I've had my share of VWs in the past. A type 1 Ghia was the VW I always wanted but never had. I don't see this one being a "perfect" example of a Lowlight, but rather as a fun driver. It still has what I believe to be its original split case trans. I didn't get an engine, but the plan is to build a 36HP plant for it.

For now it will sit while I wrap up some Mercedes-Benz projects. I'd like to pull the body off the pan for metal work and paint, but I might just get it running/driving like it is for the near term. The pan/suspension was already refreshed, so it makes sense to complete the chassis work before getting into the body.

Resto tread? Yeah, but I'll wait until I get more into it. I'm gonna need my fair share of guidance and advice, particularly when I get into the body work. It needs a lot of detail work, trust me! And I have a lot to learn along the way.

If anybody out there has hood and deck lid with "454" stamped into them I'd love to have those original panels back! Fat chance, I know . . . Very Happy
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

NM Lowlight wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Thanks for asking! Your black '58 is a real treat to look at.

This one was made in August of '56, and has build number 7454. It had Lizard Green paint originally, and I'd like it to have that again. The car is a transplant to NM, so not as solid as I would like. It has been treated poorly in some respects, mostly in the form of shoddy body work (rockers and rear quarters especially) likely done in the '80s or '90s. Hood and deck lid are not original to the car, and I am missing many of the original/correct parts. The guy I bought it from took it apart more than 10 years ago, did the chassis work, and then let it sit. I had to put the body back onto the pan to get it to my place.

Aside from all that, I love it! I've had my share of VWs in the past. A type 1 Ghia was the VW I always wanted but never had. I don't see this one being a "perfect" example of a Lowlight, but rather as a fun driver. It still has what I believe to be its original split case trans. I didn't get an engine, but the plan is to build a 36HP plant for it.

For now it will sit while I wrap up some Mercedes-Benz projects. I'd like to pull the body off the pan for metal work and paint, but I might just get it running/driving like it is for the near term. The pan/suspension was already refreshed, so it makes sense to complete the chassis work before getting into the body.

Resto tread? Yeah, but I'll wait until I get more into it. I'm gonna need my fair share of guidance and advice, particularly when I get into the body work. It needs a lot of detail work, trust me! And I have a lot to learn along the way.

If anybody out there has hood and deck lid with "454" stamped into them I'd love to have those original panels back! Fat chance, I know . . . Very Happy

I think you're taking the right route in getting the '56 driveable first whilst searching for correct parts. I'm sure you know lots of restorations stall in the search for perfection. I understand those who are searching for perfection but these beautiful creatures deserve to be on the road with as little time as possible in the workshop.
I do advise starting a restoration thread, even if you don't think there is much to say sometimes. The most important part of it is networking. Your thread will attract a support base of knowledgeable Ghia people who know where to find, how to do, who to talk to and hiccups to avoid.
You have 2 posts so far, "Braukuche" has 10971 and he's just finished a '56 restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687773 Smile
NM Lowlight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

I do advise starting a restoration thread, even if you don't think there is much to say sometimes. The most important part of it is networking. Your thread will attract a support base of knowledgeable Ghia people who know where to find, how to do, who to talk to and hiccups to avoid.
You have 2 posts so far, "Braukuche" has 10971 and he's just finished a '56 restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687773 Smile

Thank you, John. I will start a resto thread in the next day or so. What you say makes sense. And I'll be sure to check out Braukuche's '56 thread as well.
Murdlem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Working to get my 68 back on the road.

Check out my blog. https://vwlifenet.wordpress.com/
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

This week I... checked the oil Rolling Eyes The last mechanical item I did was FINALLY install a brake light switch inside the car. The item came as a kit from Air Cooled Evolution, and the installation went well. I would have installed it sooner, but the brake light issue was something I would completely forget about until I pulled out of the driveway. I had replaced the original type pressure switches several times, and although they worked, it required significant pedal pressure to activate. The new microswitch on the brake pedal arm works wonderfully.
WestyMeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I need to get one of those brake switch kits! I'm so afraid of being hit, not only for my car's sake. Scary drivers out there!

1968 Karmann Ghia-some fancy white
1985 Westfalia-some crap brown
1971 Opel GT-hubby's first car
1974 914-mostly rust colored
2007 Cayman S-Sapphire Blue (so pretty!)
flobar00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

The rebuild of our 74 Ghia convertible continues with a focus on stitching the heater channels and rocker panels back to the main body section. I started the process by drilling the new holes in the fresh pans to mate with the new heater channels. Next, I've bolted the heater channels to the pan so that I can get a correct body alignment as I mate the upper body to the channels with a proper alignment to the pan. This is quite a tedious process and taking loads of time. Once I get the alignment correct, I'll start to tack the heater channels to the main body.

If anyone has any suggestions with this process it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Page 166 of 167

Jump to: