Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Machine Shop Recommendation Near Chicago
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mpec2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:41 pm    Post subject: Machine Shop Recommendation Near Chicago Reply with quote

Does anyone have a machine shop recommendation near Chicago?

Just looking to get my case decked (Type 4, 1.7L case off of a 72 Westfalia).

I know i can ship, but shipping prices are pretty high, especially to the west coast, so trying to find local if at all possible.

Thanks!
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine Shop Recommendation Near Chicago Reply with quote

pm sent
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mpec2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Machine Shop Recommendation Near Chicago Reply with quote

I did hear of LN Engineering just 2 hours south of me.

They ask $350 for deck resurfacing. Any insights on those prices?

With dropping them off myself at their shop, that's probably about a $500 job total.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Machine Shop Recommendation Near Chicago Reply with quote

I'm certainly no expert, so I called 'my guy' who is.

He says - LN is the place to go.
They do a lot of this work - on these engines.

He indicated that this shop actually came up with some sort of a fix for a Porsche bearing thing that Volkswagen engineered poorly and then admitted the shop's fix was better than their original engineering. (I am only repeating what I was told - but probably not all correctly).

Good Luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine Shop Recommendation Near Chicago Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
He says - LN is the place to go.

He indicated that this shop actually came up with some sort of a fix for a Porsche bearing thing that Volkswagen engineered poorly and then admitted the shop's fix was better than their original engineering.

That would be the IMS (Intermediate Shaft) bearing on the 996 flavor of the 911. Porsche should have done a recall but didn't want to spend the money or admit a defect. Opinions are all over the board on this of course.
Mpec2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine Shop Recommendation Near Chicago Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Ended up going with LN. Pricey but at least its a guarantee it'll be done properly.

For what its worth, if anyone ends up finding this post I called at least 6 shops within the Chicago Suburbs, none of which were interested in this work aside from one.

Apex Automotive Engineering was very willing to try. I had a longer conversation with the owner. Seems like a great guy, doesn't do VW's exclusively but is known around this area to be very good and very knowledgeable.

His bridgeport is currently out of service hence why he couldn't do it for me.

By the time anyone finds this post, itll probably be back up. Worth a call to try. Otherwise the drive out to LN engineering is the move.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine Shop Recommendation Near Chicago Reply with quote

Please follow up and let us know how this works for you
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: