Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356a speedo cable supposed to be lubed by motor??
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave kroesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: 356a speedo cable supposed to be lubed by motor?? Reply with quote

driving the '59 today, motor oil started dripping very slightly from the connection to the rear of the speedo. since the cable drive is taken off the oil pump cover, is the motor oil supposed to feed up thru the cable? has a seal been compromised along the way? thanks for reading.
mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the tachometer? The speedo cable is driven by the front wheel not the oil pump.

https://vimeo.com/67661950
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave kroesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mistake, of course it is the tach drive. after 350 miles behind the wheelof the *a* , i was a little out of my mind last night. is it supposed to be oil fed?
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's like Microsoft Windows-- there's no such thing as "bugs", they're all "Undocumented features".

No, I think any benefit of some oil leaking into the cable would quickly be surpassed by the grime that would build up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Oel flowing thru Tach Cable Reply with quote

Hallo Dave,
There is seal in your Tach Drive ( at the oel pump)...it is going bad.
I recommend you change this seal or your Tachometer will fill with oel.
Hope this helps.
Al
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave kroesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much al! i'll correct the problem at its source. ~dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: