Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oval steering box
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval steering box Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
SixVolt wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
SixVolt wrote:
Anyone have any experience with these? Wondering about fit and quality.

https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-113-415-061-cbr/

Hey Sean!

That’s a later steering box. Typically assembled like no one cared. An Oval beam will not accept these, as far as I know.

Hope that helped.

Hey Jimbo! Hope all is good with you!

CIP1 is claiming you change the pitman arm and and it "fits." Like you, I'm not so certain. I may be able to check the quality from forums on later beetles where some of these may have been installed. Thanks!

Hey Sean. Believe it not, I have never tried it. I have always just rebuilt the ones I get. I would be willing to rebuild one for you but it may take a few boxes to get usable parts. I purchased bearings from Heimlich. I think I got the seals from him as well, or from someone else. PM me if you cannot rebuild them yourself and you cannot find a decent one. In my 54 thread, I went over the steps to rebuild them. Biggest one is getting good parts!

Thanks Jimbo. Mine is ok (for now) but I was just wondering if those CIP1 replacements might be viable. If I live long enough, I'll take you up on your offer!😂 All the best my friend!😁
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Oval steering box Reply with quote

I just put new seals in my '57 steering box. I was having trouble finding the SKF 10939 seal for the pittman arm shaft. I found a Timken 222820 that fit just fine. It's 1mm thicker than the SKF, but went in and sealed up.
d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: