Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad door alignment?
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Bad door alignment? Reply with quote

I am currently working on my first barndoor resto...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After taking a million measures everywhere, I find the bus straight and it now has welded supports according to the picture. Still I am not satisfied with the gap between the left front door and the B-pillar. The door openings are measured to be exactly the same compared to the right side door.

How big a door gap do you guys have between the door and the B-pillar?
--------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you door openings are the same size then its the door in thst opening thstneeds to be adjusted to match, i would say mine are 2-3mm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry i dont have the exact measurements. They never seem to be identical from one side to another on any year van.
Few things to check out.
a. the hinges on the door are not breaking away from the door frame or the metal has become weak meaning the door sags
b. the hinges have not taken a tweek, often only noticable in the fact that the outer door skin behind the hinge is bent inwards further or the small gap has gone.Also look at the angle the 2 halfs of hinge meet at from above, is this the same as the "good side"
c. the door length may be a tiny bit different if the door has a subtle tweek/kink from a crash or minor accident.
d. Hinge pins have become worn.

My van was suffering from the both the first 2

Is the gap too big or too small?

Mark
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad door alignment? Reply with quote

nize wrote:

Holy Sheeet!

And that bus in Ohio is getting parted out?
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

52panelvan wrote:
Hi,

Sorry i dont have the exact measurements. They never seem to be identical from one side to another on any year van.
Few things to check out.
a. the hinges on the door are not breaking away from the door frame or the metal has become weak meaning the door sags
b. the hinges have not taken a tweek, often only noticable in the fact that the outer door skin behind the hinge is bent inwards further or the small gap has gone.Also look at the angle the 2 halfs of hinge meet at from above, is this the same as the "good side"
c. the door length may be a tiny bit different if the door has a subtle tweek/kink from a crash or minor accident.
d. Hinge pins have become worn.

My van was suffering from the both the first 2

Is the gap too big or too small?

Mark

I can relate to two things above... The metal in the outer door skin is bent behind the hinge. Also the door drops a significant bit when I opens it. It seems to rest on top of the dog leg. No movement is in the A-pillar so it definitely comes from the door.

Yeah and the gap is to wide againt the B-pillar... I can hardly shut it.

Last edited by nize on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bad door alignment? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
nize wrote:

Holy Sheeet!

And that bus in Ohio is getting parted out?

There is no such thing as a bad barndoor... Everything can be repaired! Its just metal Very Happy
Swedish barndoors often look like this but hey... They seldom are driven to hell and back. Often they were used a couple of years and then parked away. Mine is relatively untouched. That is worth alot in my world.
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bus had to have pretty much the same repairs as you're doing to yours

Luckily my door gaps didn't get messed up with so much metal being removed. I would say 2-3mm all round is what they should be.

I don't have any detailed shots of my door gaps, this is the best I could find right now

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
My bus had to have pretty much the same repairs as you're doing to yours

Luckily my door gaps didn't get messed up with so much metal being removed. I would say 2-3mm all round is what they should be.

I don't have any detailed shots of my door gaps, this is the best I could find right now

Wow... That was sure inspiration to mee. It is so much nicer to change everything to nice new shiny sheet metal. Do you have any project site that I can look in to?
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nize wrote:

Wow... That was sure inspiration to mee. It is so much nicer to change everything to nice new shiny sheet metal. Do you have any project site that I can look in to?

I don't have many photos of the major welding as I didn't do it. You can check Paul Wisk's website for a couple of photos of my bus and lots of his 54 23 window which should give you lots of inspiration!

http://www.paulwiskrestos.co.uk/

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: