Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

M Codes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: M Codes Reply with quote

Just reading the the thread on split bus forum about m codes, reminded me that i still dont know what M18 is, it comes up as 'unidentified' on my birth cert.
Anybody got any other barndoor ones or know what M18 is?
My bus is Austrian, the only things different that it has are an orange brake light and a steering damper fitted to the front beam.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: M Codes Reply with quote

Rusting Hulk wrote:
Just reading the the thread on split bus forum about m codes, reminded me that i still dont know what M18 is, it comes up as 'unidentified' on my birth cert.
Anybody got any other barndoor ones or know what M18 is?
My bus is Austrian, the only things different that it has are an orange brake light and a steering damper fitted to the front beam.

My July '55 and October '55 Westies have M18 on their B.C.. Both had red brakelights and steering dampers.
RickC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Simon & Greg.

A 1/14/54 Canadian delivery Ty23A at the shop has a B.C. with M 018 - Larger reflector in brake/indicator light. It also has a steering dampener.
Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick, thanks for that info, That would make sense if Gregs buses had whatever lense that meant. Is that the type of lense i have seen with the circular centre?
My bus has an orange lense which i think is correct for Austria and maybe Italy but it was just fitted with a std style lense, which may have been a replacement.
Simon
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickC wrote:
Greetings Simon & Greg.

A 1/14/54 Canadian delivery Ty23A at the shop has a B.C. with M 018 - Larger reflector in brake/indicator light. It also has a steering dampener.

Hey Rick, what book showed the meaning of M18?
RickC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon... I think the brake & license light unit was replaced on this bus; the P.O. did some "custom" work on it during the cold Canadian winter nights. Coming to OCTO / classic?

Hi Greg.... It was on the B.C. from the museum, as M018. I'll try to do a scan for you, but can't get to it just yet.
Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, No wont be at Octo/Classic but going to Camberg. Will try to get over next year maybe... this deluxe is draining my funds!

Greg any ideas on what the M18 means?
Drew Ogden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I didn't know that later barndoors could have that circular pattern in the brakelight. 50/51 busses have a plastic lens with a circle and the shape of the lens is more rectangular with sharp edges. Sweinhagens 51 sunroof has an original one (dried up and kind of wasted) , and believe that Mark L's 51 came with one too. It can also be seen in the early literature. Took me FOREVER to find one, probably the most excited I have ever been to find a part.
I have also seen the later shape (52-55) which is more rounded with the circle and assumed that they were from some other european car. That is really cool if they are some sort of option. I've got an extra if anyone wants it, free if your bus is M-coded for it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add that to the M-code page but i think think it might be sealed beam headlights as both my LA-delivered Barndoors have M18 and Wade's Canadian '55 has it too.

Also:
A '58 Kombi delivered to Switzerland and a '59 Kombi delivered to Austria so I wonder if it means something else post-Barndoor?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 55 bd panel shows no special signs of anything not accounted for in the mcodes besides the sealed beams (which are also 55 only buckets). It has laminated sigla glass and mph speedo for Canada, so m018 would deffinetely make sense for the sealed beams to match the other 'non euro' import codes. It also has 083 and 086 which are unknown though. It does not have a dampner. Keep in mind the dampner is only clamp on so it *could* have been added at any time in the past on any of your BD's. Of course with that line of thinking, then it could have been removed from mine too.

Nobody knows the mcode for dampner as far as I know, do we even know for sure it could come from the factory and was not just a dealer add on post 55?

tony- Do you know what was the date of this literature? http://barndoor.dk/accessories/accessories6.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bus being european wouldnt have had sealed beams, maybe they used the M code for two markets, i think there are instances of multiple uses in other codes.
Does anybody know what shock was used in the steering damper, i dont really want to use the modern replacement. I see it has a type 1 part number does this mean it it the same as a bug one, front or rear?
Tonny_Larsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kommercial wrote:
My 55 bd panel shows no special signs of anything not accounted for in the mcodes besides the sealed beams (which are also 55 only buckets). It has laminated sigla glass and mph speedo for Canada, so m018 would deffinetely make sense for the sealed beams to match the other 'non euro' import codes. It also has 083 and 086 which are unknown though. It does not have a dampner. Keep in mind the dampner is only clamp on so it *could* have been added at any time in the past on any of your BD's. Of course with that line of thinking, then it could have been removed from mine too.

Nobody knows the mcode for dampner as far as I know, do we even know for sure it could come from the factory and was not just a dealer add on post 55?

tony- Do you know what was the date of this literature? http://barndoor.dk/accessories/accessories6.htm

Maybe there is an older one, but this one is stamped 1960.

-Tonny
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my birth Certificate today for my 55 deluxe and it also has M018 and is listed as cannot identifed. Also has M124 yellow headlamps and safety rear view mirror. Show it as being delivered to Paris France so it would not have had sealed beam lights either so any update on what M018 would be?

Thanks Dave
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 009 and 101 listed as unkown on a 54 Samba
Thesamba archives say

009 is unkown (yellow tail lights?)

101 Mud & Snow tires and front VW badge painted red, on fire truck Shocked
686 bus-boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an m009 - unknown on mine,i also came up with after searching that it appears to be a 'yellow tail-light' option. Wink
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any idea what 'yellow tail-light' means? Confused
Aswel as standard tail-lights? or instead. i.e. different lenses?
Where the hell am i going to find THEM Question Question Exclamation Exclamation Sad Crying or Very sad
Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

686 bus-boy wrote:
i have an m009 - unknown on mine,i also came up with after searching that it appears to be a 'yellow tail-light' option. Wink

Was your bus originally from Columbia? Maybe Gerson could shed light on what the m-code may be.
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own a 1959 with M-code 18. It also turned out as an unidentified M-code on the certificate. However it did have a VW steering column lock with a start button. It was registered as a taxi and did also have a distance / cost measuring box in the passenger area.
--------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
686 bus-boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusting Hulk wrote:
686 bus-boy wrote:

Was your bus originally from Columbia? Maybe Gerson could shed light on what the m-code may be.

It was a 'gerson bus' so yeh i could ask him,he did supply me with a load of pics of when it was found,not on there then tho! Wink
Drew Ogden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally received my birth certificates for the 51 and 53.

20-09301
22A, VW eight seater
25bhp, 1.1 liter
Krauss, Nuernberg/Germany
No Options

20-050246
24G VW De Luxe Micro Bus
25bhp, 1.2 liter
VW-Diffusion, Neuilly, Paris/France
M560 Sunroof
M425 Seatbelts and mounting points
M563 and M573 cannnot be indentified

Well, at least the front belts in the 53 aren't a hack, kinda cool. I assume one of the unknow M-codes is yellow headlights being from France. Anyone know about either of these two M Codes?

Whats up with the 1.1 liter vs. the 1.2 liter on the two busses?

Nice to see the "eight seater" reference as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: