Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil leak...
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyDemonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: oil leak... Reply with quote

411 wagon... I'm loosing about a 1/2 quart a day... it's on the left side of the engine, but I can't tell where... I'm guessing a bad oil cooler gasket? If that's where the leak is, can I fix it without dropping the engine? I know on a bug you can remove the decklid & take off the doghouse with the engine still in... can I do the same on my 411?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure - on a type 4 engine the studs for the oil cooler point towards the rear of the car, and they are pretty long. To get it off, the fan shroud has to be unbolted and moved back quite a ways. I'm not sure if there's enough room behind the engine in a 411 body to do this with the engine installed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most likely cause of the leak is a bad oil pressure sending unit. Easy to check and replace.
JohnnyDemonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The most likely cause of the leak is a bad oil pressure sending unit. Easy to check and replace.

thanks for this reply... I'll have to take a look & see what I can see
JohnnyDemonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't a bad oil pressure sending unit make the oil light come on all the time? ie: low oil pressure? as of right now, the oil light only comes on when the oil is about 1/2" below the bottom line on the dip stick
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really... the unit is still sending a reading, but physically leaks oil from the unit. remember, they fail this way and are under constant pressure while leaking (big leak) you will know if this is the issue... the unit will have oil on it and directly below it on the case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lams116
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it turn out to be the sensor? I've got a leak at the oil cooler on my 411 wagon and I'd be curious to know what happened and how easy/hard it was to fix.
Amroybal911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Oil leak too Reply with quote

I just started a 412 after 15 years and it seems to be leaking a lot I'd oil from the front of the motor between the trany and motor! Any one have any ideas or could it be the sending unit too draining out the front of the motor?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After that many years I'd suspect your flywheel seal first. Worse would be that an oil gallery plug came loose... which I've seen happen on type 4 blocks.
Amroybal911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Oil leak!! Reply with quote

I just bought this 412 and hoping to get it running without any major problems! It ran for about 20 minutes and came back the next day and a puddle of oil under the motor wtf!!. Tell me more about the flywheel seal! This is all new me I have never worked on a Vw before! Please give me more info thanks Andre
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I answered this last night... Confused

Anyway... It's just the big seal where the flywheel, or I guess on most type 4s it would be a drive plate, sits in the engine case opening. The engine has to come out and the drive plate or flywheel has to be removed to get to it - as well as the adjacent oil gallery plugs.

Some call it the "rear main" seal but the correct logistical term for it, is the front main seal, since it is at the front of the car. (There is a rear seal as well - a much smaller seal that seals the hub to which the cooling fan is mounted)

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D029%2D105%2D245%2DBS
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a factory photo showing them installing that front main drive plate/flywheel seal using the VW191 factory installation tool (which is a nice thing to have but not necessary) and I added captions pointing out those oil gallery plugs.

-Andy

Amroybal911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Oil leak!! Reply with quote

I am going to try and get the motor out next week and go through it! I am also having vacuum problem. Reason I bought the 412 because it ran on propane set up with an Impco ca300a system and century G85 regulator that appears that I am not getting enough vacuum to suck the diaphragm open to let the propane into the intake any ideas? [/img]
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to start a new thread specifically about the Propane issues. I've never worked on any Propane conversions before so I'm not much help on that one. I wonder if one of the other forums might yield more answers as well.
Amroybal911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Oil leak! Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the oil leaks and I will post another forum on Vw propane. Thanks Andre
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: