Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

still baffeled
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whacko51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: still baffeled Reply with quote

87 GTI 16 valve probs. i have a good battery, a new bosch altenator, the wiring seems good at least that i know of. and still no charge. what i want to know is that the little blue wire that is connected to the small post is it sopposed to be hot? is it supposed to kick off something to throw off a charge. cant you take off the positive wire hooked to the battery while the car is running and it should still stay running right? thats how i know it is not charging.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not a test you should perform on a modern vehicle, it will damage the parts you are testing.
GostaBerling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed you should not remove the battery cable while the car is running, it can send a spike back through the system and kill the ecu. Check your cables, especially your clamps. I have seen clamps that are so bad that they no longer conduct. An easy way to check the clamps is to test the battery without them hooked up and then with them hooked up. If it does not show close to the same exact voltage then time to change. Check and clean your ground as well. Take the car to an autoparts store and have them do a load test on the system, it tells you way more than pulling the battery cable. Are you sure the alternator is good?? You might take it off and have it benched tested just to make certain.

current 1979 fiat spider, 72 Contempo Hightop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: