Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

start problems--will engage if you let it roll a few inches
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghia73Girl72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: start problems--will engage if you let it roll a few inches Reply with quote

More more issues! Am I wearing out my welcome yet? These problems are all connected to our recent roadtrip to California. I am not sure if my carburetor needs to be rebuilt now, due to running tank down to empty by mistake. Or if I still have some wiring problem.

We have 3 VWs, a 1972 baja bug, a 1972 bus, and a 1973 Karmann Ghia.
The bus has some electrical issues, and we've been working through them for many years. One regular issue we can't seem to shake is that from time to time the bus will not start unless you let it roll an inch or two. Sometimes it's just a matter of taking off the parking brake.

Now, our Karmann Ghia is doing the same thing. Just started this weekend. Any ideas? Someone once suggested that a tooth was missing from a starting gear and from time to time it might be aligned at the blank spot and will not start. By letting it roll a bit you get past the missing tooth. I also thought maybe the starter is hung up in the flywheel somehow?

I'm not sure about the bus, but the Ghia has had new clutch, new starter, and new ignition switch/tumbler replaced in the last 6 months, most recently the ignition switch.

Also sometimes dies at a steep fast stop, if it is not warmed up. This is not a big deal--it's notorious behavior when gas is bad, or jets are clogged. Feels like float might be stuck?

Thanks for any info you can share.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a starter problem. Just make it easy on yourself and replace the starter with one for an automatic transmission car - self supporting.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BOS%2DSR17X
Ghia73Girl72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Starter is new Reply with quote

hey there 70 140.

Thanks for always responding to my relentless inquiries.

The starter is only about 10 months old. I had it replaced shortly after my clutch last spring. Husband always manages to find issues with the cables connecting the battery and he's worked magic with that--he thinks the cable connecting to the starter needs to be replaced. I think he may be right?

Arrghh! I guess this is part of the mental affliction of living Vintage VWs. It is like being in love. And sometimes just like being in love it makes you wanna puke.

Thank God for forums like Samba where I can feel like I'm getting somewhere, talk it out with other similarly affilcted VW heads, even if I'm just sitting at my desk.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the problem you are describing is caused by a binding starter - when you let it roll a little that lets it go - and it likely works..

When you turn the key and the starter doesn't move do you still here the solenoid click?

Did your husband replace the starter bushing when he put in the new starter? The starter link I sent you is a neat alternative - it was made for automatic transmissions that didn't have the starter bushing pressed into the trans case. So you can put it in and forget about the bushing trouble. Although if your starter is new, I would order up the bushing and give that a try - they are a cheap item. Just a chore to replace.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
Usually the problem you are describing is caused by a binding starter - when you let it roll a little that lets it go - and it likely works..

When you turn the key and the starter doesn't move do you still here the solenoid click?

Did your husband replace the starter bushing when he put in the new starter? The starter link I sent you is a neat alternative - it was made for automatic transmissions that didn't have the starter bushing pressed into the trans case. So you can put it in and forget about the bushing trouble. Although if your starter is new, I would order up the bushing and give that a try - they are a cheap item. Just a chore to replace.

The other thing to keep in mind is that to get the bushing out you need a special tool unless you pull the engine. Other wise its a real PITA to get it out. I always convert over to auto starters now for that reason.
--Dan
Ghia73Girl72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche and 70 140.

Thanks for taking the time to talk this out with me.
I should mention (if I haven't) that the starter does spin, it's trying to start the car, but nothing. Lots of gas, no ignite. Unless it rolls an inch or 2. It's akin to the feeling when my kill switch is engaged. It'll just tun over and turn over and no ignition. We actually thought the problem was the kill switch being faulty, and engaging when not toggled on, but it appears to be working circuit.

Thanks for the tip about automatic starter. Good to know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: