Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

Sorry, no pics of the walnut trim. But he did just finish Caravel Camper that he had to completely rebuild the cabinets in. For those he bought some fir or poplar angle trim at Home Depot. He had some left over that he offered to me for my Komper. There wasn't enough to do mine. But I can snap a pic of it next time I am at his house.

It was pretty simple and looked awesome as well.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Nubby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

That would be great because the windows on the doors are slightly curved so I would be curious to see what he did.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

I don't have a pic of the trim around the Windows. I meant a pic of the trim stock.
It really isn't that difficult to build them from wood. You would only need hand tools.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
dlicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

Nubby wrote:
That would be great because the windows on the doors are slightly curved so I would be curious to see what he did.

I am currently doing this in my camper. It too ran into the curved door dilemma......

I put a shim under the door panel to push out and meet the wood trim. 1"x3/8"X1/4"

I am planning to attach them with silicone to the door panel so I won't have any screws. I figure 4 dots in the corner should do it.

I'll post pics when I can.
Nubby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

dlicious wrote:
Nubby wrote:

I am currently doing this in my camper. It too ran into the curved door dilemma......

I put a shim under the door panel to push out and meet the wood trim. 1"x3/8"X1/4"

I am planning to attach them with silicone to the door panel so I won't have any screws. I figure 4 dots in the corner should do it.

I'll post pics when I can.

Looking forward to it!
dlicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

Pics of my oak window trim. I used 3/4 corner trim found at Lowes hardware. It isn't varnished yet, as this is my prototype. The one picture I don't have is the back side. I used the corner trim cut to 1.5" to attach the 4 pieces. They also act a a guide to grab the corners of the metal window frame. The frame is glued together with tightbond wood glue and is very strong.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dlicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

Pics of the important part....

Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
It really isn't that difficult to build them from wood.

dlicious wrote:
Nubby wrote:

I ignored the curve and just built a frame from wood. There is a small gap midway behind the vertical pieces but it isn't noticeable.

The Hehr jalousie windows actually stick into the interior of the bus so the corner molding isn't needed. I used 1/2" thick poplar cut to 1" width but 3/4" wide would probably be closer to a stock appearance. As you can see, with this bus stock wasn't important.

Nubby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

Thanks fellas, gives me some ideas!
Aeron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

Has anyone got a How to guide in installing the glass into the hinges? I have two window panes which have come out of their seats in the hinges and i can,t get them to slide back into place. Westfalia so42 windows
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

The glass should be easy to slide in although you may have to bend the tabs open a bit that grab the glass where there is no rubber bumper. The glass fits loosely in the glass holders until the rubber bumpers are put in.
Aeron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Just the reassurance i needed. I didn't want to bend anything unless i needed to. Time to get some new glass.
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

great thread! will be very helpful as I'm bout to get started on the restoration of my jalousies... YAY.
71 Deluxe Bay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kasper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

I push the tab down until it touches the glass then I slide the Wolfsburg West rubber keepers in after.
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

Okay so I'm bout to order my seals so I can get started on the jalousie resto... but not sure who has the best kit. I know there are several suppliers out there (wolfburg west, wagons west, splitpile/bustoration, vintage trailer supply) but having a hard time figuring out who to use..

I understand this can be a feat so want to do it right the first time. Anyone have some advice? I'm guessing one option might be superior to the others... or if they are the same, just pick the cheapest?
71 Deluxe Bay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arod wrote:
after 'searching' for a thread about these windows i came upon this one. it had the most information and decided to add my experience on what i did for my 'econo-resto' re-do. i am no pro nor expert at anything, just not scared to do anything. as a matter of fact this is my first bus! !!!!!!I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS THE PROPER WAY BUT IT IS HOW I DID IT!!!!!
first off, this is an actual window from my 1966 so42 with your typical white wash paint job. i spayed aviation paint stripper let it bubble then washed it off. i then scrubbed the aluminum with a brillo pad and dish washing liquid. it actually polishes it some. them gave it a little polish for some shine.

all the OG screws were all rusted so i needed to find new ones. in the following pics is a comparison with what i chose to replace them with. the original screws that hold the actual frame are like a size #6. when i went to buy them the sizes available are the same but different. a size #6 thread was 'thinner' than the OG screw. so i went up to a size #8 and it was the same thread size, except the screw head is a little bigger. i bought them stainless steel so i don't get rust streaks.
<Dead link>
next are the interior trim screws. they were the correct size #4, except in stainless and with a phillips head.
<Dead link>
<Dead link>
here are the actual screws i bought
<Dead link>
next is the weatherstrip seal i used between the window spacer and window to frame. i bought it at Lowe's like $4
<Dead link>
this is the window seal kit for a jalousie window from WW. the seals fit perfect.
<Dead link>
the weatherstrip always stays soft and pliable but sticky. it looks like string which you cut how long and how wide you need.
<Dead link>
<Dead link>
these are 3 of the 4 seals in the kit and where and how they are installed.
first install the bottom rubber flap seal. after it is installed it still slides
<Dead link>
next install the scraper seals on the sides. they are longer than what you need.
<Dead link>
afteryou have them installed cut them to length but make sure they overlap the rubber flap seal. it won't let the rubber flap seal slide anymore.
<Dead link>
the last large seal goes around the window spacer frame installed like this
<Dead link>
i put a 'string strip' of the weatherstrip around the bus before i put in the window spacer and installed it using the #8 screws.
<Dead link>
after it was installed and tightened up i put 2 'strings' of weatherstrip around the spacer to seal the window to the frame
<Dead link>
i begin to install window by first lining up all the holes and starting the screws. then tightening them up a little at a time to make sure i didn't tweak the frame.
<Dead link>
this is what it looks like at this point
<Dead link>
i them come to the problem of those rubber tabs that hold the glass in the frame. the original ones are brown, but hard as a rock. so i 'rig' it like this. i get a red oil cooler seal and cut into 4 pieces. and just slide them under the glass and... it works! you can't really see them. here's a pic
<Dead link>
here is a close up of the interior trim screw i used
<Dead link>
and this is the window interior shot with trim installed
<Dead link>
and this is the outside after the install
<Dead link>
i know this was a long post but hopefully it will answer some of the questions some folks have like i asked myself when i started doing it.

Would love to see a repost of the screw sizes with pictures since all these links are dead. Anyone?
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hehr window restauration Reply with quote

Sterkman, I really like your improvement with the aluminum tape, quick question how did you get the grey rubber trim to seat in all the way around and what did you use for polishing? I'm finishing up my last 2 windows and it is taking way too long. As for the grey rubber I had 2 windows which the rubber pushed out and I have to re-seat.

Sterkman wrote:
Now that I am at it, it might as well tell my full experience.

THE MOST COMPLETE METHOD:
I found particularly helpful page 6 of this thread by JOGR (rivets) and also very helpful DadaCheese his contribution on page 8 of this thread, and of course all Major Woodys comments.

I do not want to repeat what was already written before, just add some details that might be helpful.
I disassebled the complete window (that does not require much time and might speed you up later) and first cleaned with water and soap and scotchbrite all parts. I then used a fein oscilating machine with scotchbrite to clean all large accessable surfaces (no WD-40 needed, just creates a mess in my eyes). The hard to access parts on the inside of the frames mainly I did with a dremel. Finishing touch for all surfaces with some really fine steel wool and done. A mill finish everywhere.
I chose to polish the outside with a polishing disk attached to a hand drill machine. Takes only 10 min for one window. You do need rough and fine polish. This method gives very nice results and with the appropriate tools you can save hours of time.
I chose also to coat the inside of the windows. This because I don't want to redo this job anytime soon, and, some oxidation is so deep it created pitting (in my case) so you still would see little 'scars' of time. Giving it a coating solves this problem and will make it last longer. Here some pictures:

Bofore and after:

Inside before:

After:

WIP:

I tried to improve water tightness by putting aluminum tape on all splits and screw holes:

In the corners of the subframes I added silicone and between the subframe and windowframe weatherstripping (butyl putty tape) before screwing them together (vintage trailer supply product):

Some observations:
Vintage trailer supply has lots of good products. In particular, the pile seal that goes on the sides between the panes and the window frame has a plastic seal in the middle of the pile and therefore is better than the WW one.
I added a plastic washer between the jalousie glass holder and the window frame, especially since I painted the window frame on the inside. With the additional plastic in the seal I can still get a good seal:

Also I found their rattle pads better, they are thicker than the WW ones. The WW ones are not thick enough at least that is my experience and they fall out.

Here is the final result:

Still takes about a day of work per window. The last one a little less Very Happy

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

make sure you have some kind of sealant in the frames in the corners where they press together. Those will leak if not sealed as they were originally.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gravee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

Hey all,

Hard to believe there is a new question left to ask of this thread, but here it is:

I have a 67 SO-42. I have a few windows out and plan to start some restoration. Not sure about all the polishing. I kind of like the classic look. My question is that I have two windows that aren't cranking. I have been able to loosen up the hinges and get them to move by hand. Then put the cranks back on and they didn't do anything. After further examination and comparing them to some working windows I notices that the "pin? rivet? round metal plug that pushes through the crank handle and connects the arm under the crank to the bar that moves the windows open and closed? (did you get that?) Whatever this part is it is missing.

My thousand words are not worth a picture:

Does anyone know what goes in that hole. Not really sure how it fell out. The other ones seem firmly pressed in.

Does anyone know of any sources?

Thanks
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s Reply with quote

Revised to be concise:
gravee wrote:
I have two windows that aren't cranking (part is missing). Does anyone know what goes in that hole?

You should be able to see what you're missing:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: