Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

55 standard - side trim not an Option?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugzey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: 55 standard - side trim not an Option? Reply with quote

55 question..I have a reference book "VOLKSWAGEN Bug! The people's car" by Ray Miller, that I have had for at least 10 years and I use it alot. I just bought a 55 standard sedan bug and there are no holes for the side trim. In the book (the 55 section) it said,

"Only the Deluxe Sedans have the bright-metal body side trim and running board molding"

Does this mean that the standard bugs did not get the molding???
I looked under the hood at the area of the molding and see that the holes have been filled with what looks like lead.

My question is...are there bugs that came from the factory with "no" side molding in 55. Would they fill the holes at the factory as well?

Thanks to all with information!!
.......(........)
.....(o\_!_/o)
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you say your 55 is a standard?

The Ray Miller book has many errors.

If your car has holes that were filled, it means your car had trim on it at one time. The holes could have been punched in by the factory and trim installed then, or some PO installed trim to upgrade the car. Then they were filled later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 55 standard most deffinetly did not come with the ornate aluminum trim. If you're hod had holes wgich were filled, it may not be the original hood to your car. If you are 100% certain it is the original hood, someone must have previously drilled holes.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
bugzey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it had standard door panels in it. I figured there were errors in the book but I know you can find more information here.

I remember that in the early cars the factory used lead as a filler...

Did any 55 standard come without side trim and holes from the factory
.......(........)
.....(o\_!_/o)
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the inside of the door skin. Any traces of holes being filled in? BTW, Ray Miller's book is great. I love the pictures of VWs taken in the early 80s. As a matter of fact, it was the very first VW book I purchased when I first got interested in VWs
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
bugzey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first book too..and I still take it with me whenever I go to buy another bug!

Rare...have you seen any other books like that one that is a little more up to date? or have better information?
.......(........)
.....(o\_!_/o)
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugzey wrote:
My first book too..and I still take it with me whenever I go to buy another bug!

Rare...have you seen any other books like that one that is a little more up to date? or have better information?

Larence Meredith's "Original VW Beetle" It's also a hardback edition and is chock full of color pics, easily over 300 of them! Same layout as the Miller book, but with more added info such as listing the major changes during each year by chassis # & color listings available during the year.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugzey wrote:

If it was a standard without the trim, it never had the holes. The factory didn't punch the holes then fill them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a hint, does it have hydraulic brakes? if it does its not a standard, standards never had side trim, VW did not lead up the holes at the factory, maybe its one of those crazy Canadian Standards?
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Canadian standards come with side trim and hydraulic brakes, but sparce interior and wingnut seats?
die schwarzen Schafe #666
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugzey wrote:
it had standard door panels in it. I figured there were errors in the book but I know you can find more information here.

I remember that in the early cars the factory used lead as a filler...

So are you saying that there are no holes in the doors but there are in the body?

My '55 came with Standard doors on it. '52 doors if I can believe the stamping on the window mechanism.

*October '54 Ragtop
bugzey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there are holes in the doors that have been filled with lead. As stated in a refrence book I have it said that "Only" 55 deluxe models came with the metal trim. I was unsure if my car was a standard or deluxe. It has standard door panels. I have not looke at the regulators yet...good idea....!!

Rolling Eyes
.......(........)
.....(o\_!_/o)
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New here but playing with VWs since 1979. I currently have a 1959 type 115 Canadian standard sunroof. This is a trim package unique in the world in that it has hydraulic brakes and chrome but standard interior. So I have all the beltline trim as well as chrome hubcaps, door handles etc. I have owned about a half a dozen of these cars over the years and they are all the same in terms of trim. The car is Fiord Blue L434, but a much more common color in Canada for standards is L14 mignonette or reseda green.

The way to tell about your car is if it has holes in the quarters, these can't be unbolted like the doors and hood. Also, does it have clips on the interior B-pillars for headliner? Standards only had headliner in the top of the roof.

I have a friend with a 1949 Belgian standard that is different again.
Chrome also but no belt line trim.

Don
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, what he said ^^^^^
Canadian Standards have beltline trim and chrome hubcaps but no chrome trim on the running boards or window rubber. They also have juice brakes.
The Standard would not have had beltline trim or chrome hubcaps and would have cable brakes.

As far as I know, the only option available on the Standard ovals was sunroof, Canadian Standard ovals had sunroof and a couple different paint colours as options
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: