Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Ghia GRM Challenge car (now with post Challenge update)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbpickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: 1970 Ghia GRM Challenge car (now with post Challenge update) Reply with quote

We (Aaron my 14 year old son, Al my father and I) have been building a 1970 Ghia to take to the Grassroots Motorsports 2006 Challenge. For this event we have a budget of $2006.00 to buy and build a car to compete in 3 events. The events are concourse show, drag race, and autocross. We have no hopes of winning with this car, but plan on having a lot of fun.

The project is moving along, so we thought we would throw a few pics up.

Its still UGLY, but we made good progress this weekend.

The dash is in and wired.
All the electrical is fixed.
The broken shock mount is fixed.
The seat is installed.
My dad spent a few hours unbending the front bumper.
We also put the lip back on the pass. side front wheel opening.
Did a ton of other things needed to get the car inspected.

The only thing left to do for inspection is mount the harness.

Its been driven up and down the alley behind the house a few times and it "feels" fun. Wink

We can not wait to get the mechanical stuff done. We are all ready to move on to making the car look less rat like.

Our first autocross is Sunday. We are looking forward to seeing how we do with it.

Pics:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We also picked up what should have been our primary car last weekend. We did not find it until it was too late to change directions. It also would have been a shame to make a race car out of it. The budget is right though as it sits its $800.00 $600.00 without the nice wheels. This one is going to be Aarons first car when he turns 16. He is 14 now so he has a good head start on it.

Last edited by sbpickup on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that tu-tone Ghia. Maybe when you're done autocrossing it you all can make it into a nice driver. Let us know how you fare with it in competition. I bet the car receives a lot of looks.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like fun. Were you having problems with the hood flying up, or are the pins just for looks? You could always sell the bumpers on the green car and add $400 more to your budget Smile

That orange car has cleaned up quite niceley. Paint thinner will strip the crayon marks off the glass.
sbpickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed double post Embarassed

Last edited by sbpickup on Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sbpickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Icy! I wasnt sure if I liked it or not when it was bought, but after looking at it for a few months I dont think I would change it. I have really grown to love it.

Everything we do to the car we should be able to "undo" at some time. The exception being the tach hole in the dash. We have a replacment dash to fix it in the future if we wish.

With a little luck the car will be tagged and on the street end of the week. I REALLY want to start driving it to work

Quote:
Were you having problems with the hood flying up, or are the pins just for looks?

Honestly the nose is bent a bit from a few accidents in its past life. We had some fit issues we could not work out so we pinned it. Granted we could have gotten it straight eventually but hood pins and race cars mix well.

Agreed on selling the bumpers. We need to sell $500.00 of parts from this car to 0 it in the budget.

I almost forgot about the new hood scoop.

Ahh the orange car. Aaron has spent every spare moment he has cleaning, polisihng and chasing wires. His efforts really show. Once we get home from the Challenge (november) we hope to get it running and get the brakes sorted out.

Last edited by sbpickup on Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:12 pm; edited 4 times in total
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbpickup wrote:
Thanks Icy! I wasnt sure if I liked it or not when it was bought, but after looing at it for a few months I dont think I would change it. I have really grown to love it.

Everything we do to the car we should be able to "undo" at some time. The exception being the tach hole in the dash. We have a replacment dash to fix it in the future if we wish.

Wit a little luck the car will be tagged and on the street end of the week. I REALLY want to start driving it to work.

You can get it tagged with holes in the rockers? Man I wish I lived where you did!!

Is that a sube scoop? It looks good on the car!
sbpickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can get it tagged with holes in the rockers? Man I wish I lived where you did!!

Im not sure, but the holes will be "gone" by Friday. There will be a lot of things patched that need to be fixed this winter. We are running out of time before the event.

Yep, it is a subbie scoop. Got it cheap on ebay.
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the fact that you are making it your son's first car. He'll know somethin' about cars when you are done with that project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sbpickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it may be slow and ugly, but its now legal to drive on the street! The Ghia passed inspection today with only a minor glitch!

On to paint and body work!!
72Coupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy for you and your son. I bought our coupe for son's high school graduation present. over the past year we have worked on it's restoration together and the bonding experience has been priceless... The nice car is a bonus. I can only hope that this experience brings you even closer to your son.

Best Regards,
72 Coupe
sbpickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words 72!

We will be pulling one more car from the barn in the near future. It is a 1967 Ghia coupe and it will be my fathers car. So we have 3 generations of our family working together on the 3 Ghias. Its very special to all of us that we work on them together.

Sean
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
sbpickup wrote:
Thanks Icy! I wasnt sure if I liked it or not when it was bought, but after looing at it for a few months I dont think I would change it. I have really grown to love it.

Wit a little luck the car will be tagged and on the street end of the week. I REALLY want to start driving it to work.

Is that a sube scoop? It looks good on the car!

While I agree the Subaru scoop is very fetching, you have to admit the McDonald's "scoop" that it replaces had a certain "homespun" appeal Laughing

What's this about pulling yet another Ghia from the barn Shocked
Shouldn't there be some limit as to how many decent Ghias one person can pull from a barn in their lifetime - gotta save some for the rest of us poor shmucks Wink

Any picks of the '67? (Was it the green one with the smashed in nose in the background of the picture of your son's orange Ghia - or perhaps the light blue (I believe) one in the background of the pictures when you first reported finding the green/white Ghia?
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool projects, sound like great fun.

I really must say I detest that green ghias dash. what's with that?

'72 Ghia: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146/vwdmc17/100_1964.jpg
'72 Honda Z600
'81 Delorean

www.EVILGENIUSRACING.com
sbpickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe:

I still have that scoop around here some where. Maybe we can make a deal on it! Wink

I dont have any pics of the 67 as of yet. As soon as I get some Ill post them. That will be it for a long while. The three of them will keep the three of us busy for some time.

vwdmc16:

Quote:
I really must say I detest that green ghias dash. what's with that?

I don’t know, maybe your narrow minded? Just kidding guy! I dont mind criticism. Its a good thing! We learn from it.

Detest it because its ugly or because its not stock? It does not matter, I am just curious. Some will like it some will not.

Its just an .030 aluminum shell over the orig dash. It can be removed and put back to stock with a little work on my part.
The dash pad was toast, the face was rough and I needed to nice it up on the cheap. (Remember only $2006.00 to spend on the car)

Thanks for the comments!
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh well excuse me if I give the impression that i'm a purist. i'm far from it, just look at a pic of my ghia below.
but I do insist on trying to keep it stylish and tasteful, and sorry but a flat black sheet dash on such a beautiful and curvaceous car such as a KG is just a bad mix. but it's your car and i also believe people should be able do do whatever the f*ck they want to do to their cars. the stock ghia dash isn't perfect and the modified one in my car isn't perfect either( i want to remodel it to accommodate more gauges and some A/C vents without looking too cluttered)

there are plenty of cheap tricks to do on a car like this with a small budget. hell you could engine turn the dash face with a drill and wire brush wheel then clear coat it. that's cheap and unique, but whatever it's your car mate Laughing

cheers

'72 Ghia: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146/vwdmc17/100_1964.jpg
'72 Honda Z600
'81 Delorean

www.EVILGENIUSRACING.com
sbpickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
oh well excuse me

None required. I said I was kidding with the crack.

I actually like the stock ghia dash. I was just going for something a bit different on mine.

I had honestly never looked at it from the perspective you have. I see your point on it. That is why I asked.

Sorry If I got you all spooled up and on the chip did not mean too.

Thanks!

Sean
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Guys.

I was just browsing through April 2007's Grassroots Motorsports, and I saw at least two pictures of you and your ghia. It also mentioned you had won an award - Nice work on taking a dead car and turning some heads Smile Smile

I recognized that scoop right away.
sbpickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much! We had a blast, what a great event. Coverage in Grassroots Motorsports was just icing on the cake!

Here is a picture of the Ghia on course:

I had forgotten about this thread, here is our post Challenge update:

Well the 2006 GRM Challenge is in the books! We had a couple minor events during the tow to Florida, but nothing serious. We are all now well over any fears we had about flat towing long distance.

We arrived on Thursday for the kick off party. It was much fun. Its a great event with even cooler people. We were one of only 2 air cooled cars there. (first 2 in event history) the other one was a '69 beetle. It was a very pretty race car.

There was no actual party this year on Thursday night which was at first disappointing, but it gave us all time to walk around the parking lot and meet people and see what they brought. It turned out to be way cooler than a party would have been.

Friday was the Autocross/Show portion of the event:

We Concoursed in the AM and Autocrossed in the afternoon. We hit the concourse tent early to try to get to the judges before they burned out. They were all very receptive of the car. It went much better than we thought it would with our lack of prep.

In the afternoon we autocrossed. It was my first event on r's and only my second in the Ghia. Each team got 5 runs. There are also pro drivers available at the event if you wish to use them, but there runs in your car count toward your 5.

FTD was a 43.925, times ranged from 43.925 sec to 57.313 sec. We ran our 4 runs with a best of 50.993 slow but not last place. After our 4th run we were told we would get a rerun due to a timing problem. I ran the next run hard and picked up time until I hit 2 cones. After returning to grid we decided since we were given a rerun and I seemed to be stuck around a 51 that we would use a pro driver. Alan McCrispin jumped at the chance to drive the ghia for us. He loves to drive the odd cars we were told. He got in the car and ran a 49.5 first time out, but coned giving us a 51.5 making my 50.9 our best. The beetle ran a 53.294, so we beat that.

Saturday was the drag portion of the event:

So we were dreading the drags. Our goal was not to finish last over all or in any event. If we were going to fall short this would be the event.

We arrived early and did the only thing we could think of to better our chances. We removed everything we could from the car to get it as light as we could. We figured the bug again would be the only car on our level. We are not sure what the weight of the Beetle was, but his was stripped, gutted, and cut up pretty good.

For our first pass of the day (my first drag race ever) we ran the kick off pass of the event against my good friend Andy Nelson (builder of the last 2 events winning drag cars. This year’s car was a missile. It set a new Challenge record of 10.57. We ran a 18.551 to his 10.64.

Our next pass was heads up against the Beetle. We slowed up a bit, , but beat him.

Our next run was again with the Beetle. I cut a .051 R/T, then blew the 1-2 shift, and watched him step 3 car lengths on me, but we ran him down and beat him again.

We ran a couple more passes for fun, but never improved on our 18.551.

By then the CV joints were getting noisy, so we pulled the axles and loaded the car up for the 900 mile pull back home.

The best part of the weekend was the Awards Dinner Saturday night. Each year they give out a Challengers Choice trophy. This is awarded by popular vote of all the entered teams. We were just floored as we listened to the MC talk about this intriguing and inspiring car only to hear our team name read. Placing well in the event would have been cool, but earning the respect of our competitors was just priceless!

In the end, we did not finish last in any event. We placed 63 out of 67, in an un prepaired mostly stock Ghia with r tires. We are sure we can do much better after a year of development. So now we have a base line to start from.

Here are our Challenge Pictures

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q79/sanyarcosean/2006%20GRM%20Challenge/?start=all

Thanks for all the kind words, support, and encouragement you’ve all given us. We look forward to running the event again next year, and being competitive!

Sean
freekazoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any side pics of the car with the scoop? What a great idea. I have a WRX myself and never thought of it.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounded like great fun. Thanks for sharing and keep us in the loop on you and sons progress Cool
You said you had forgetten about this thread. How in the hell did 70 140 remember it ? Shocked

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: