Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Bastard" Engines
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Fischer1 wrote:
EverettB wrote:
The bastard heads require a bastard valve cover with a cutout on the top for the boss.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=3150
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was wondering what these where for. I almost threw them away.

I could use one of those valve covers. I have one original bastard style valve cover for my '61 Mango Standard with original motor (#5297292). The other valve cover is a later style that has been hacked to make it work. It'd be nice to have correct valve covers for both sides.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanagon wrote:
Michael Fischer1 wrote:
EverettB wrote:
The bastard heads require a bastard valve cover with a cutout on the top for the boss.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=3150

I was wondering what these where for. I almost threw them away.

I could use one of those valve covers. I have one original bastard style valve cover for my '61 Mango Standard with original motor (#5297292). The other valve cover is a later style that has been hacked to make it work. It'd be nice to have correct valve covers for both sides.

check your inbox

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW Vet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyto,
Please measure the depth to the cyl. seat of the chamber on the head you mentioned and pm me or post here. Thanks.
rlevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to look through the stuff for the original engine for my
May 59 panel. Shocked One thing I do remember is that the breather hole under the generator pedestal is a small round hole instead of the D-shaped one, wasn't that also a trademark of the Bastard 40 horse?
skyto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW Vet wrote:
skyto,
Please measure the depth to the cyl. seat of the chamber on the head you mentioned and pm me or post here. Thanks.

The seat is 13mm deep.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW Vet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyto,

It looks like your head is yet another facet in the bastard engine development. Does it have the tall rocker shaft supports and the long rocker bolts like the 3rd generation head in this post? Please post some pictures.

Ron
skyto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the rocker supports are identical to 40hp round boss heads with long studs. This is the same head as the 371A except for cylinder openings. Guess this made sense in mass production. I'll post pictures when I get my camera back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skyto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here they are:

VW Vet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the head pictured above, the 87mm openings definately make it for the bastard cylinders only. I would guess it is a post June '61 replacement for use on the post January '60 bastard engines. There is a slight hint in the Bentley Manual about this, but it does not address the disappearance of the unused vent chamber. We can add this to the developing story. Thanks, skyto.

ps: skyto, are you located in Finland? Could you find out if any of the bastard engine fiasco was applicable to Europe? It could be the heads you pictured were never available here in the US.

Ron
skyto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bastard incident happened here in Europe too.

I bought these heads as 40hp parts, started polishing the chambers and exhaust ports before trying the cylinders on.. what a nasty surprise! I think these were available in the US, there was a thread about an identical pair (the picture is long gone).
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this a further variation of the 3rd generation of bastard head or a modification there of?

as the heads sit they are cut for the 90mm OD normal 40hp barrels but the motor they came off (may 64 beetle case) seems to have lead an interesting life...

the nicely cleaned heads in this thread realy make these look even worse Smile
VW Vet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry Roberts,

The head you pictured looks like a 3rd generation bastard head, converted from long rocker studs to short rocker studs. If you can tell the cylinder openings have been cut from 87mm to 90mm, that would be the real indicator.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early 40 horse engines also had the small round "breather" hole so it was not a bastard engine specific detail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW Vet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasb,

What small round breather hole are you refering to? The vented heads ended in January 1960, pre 40 horse.

Edit: If you are refering to the vent hole under the generator stand, I remember reading about the change to the larger hole. When I find the info I will post it.
VW Vet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some bastard engine main bearing info:

Engine # 3 400 000 to 3 491 699 ( True Bastard Crankcase): Thrust at #2 and thin walled (OD 60mm) steel backed main bearings standard equipment.

Engine # 3 491 700 to 3 520 332 (2nd Generation Bastard Crankcase): Thrust at #1 and thin walled (OD 60mm) steel backed main bearings standard equipment.

From engine # 3 520 333 (3rd Generation Bastard Crankcase) and subsequent 40hp: Thrust at #1 and thick walled (OD 65mm) aluminum main bearings standard equipment.

Bearing #4 is OD 50mm on all the above engines. Steel backed or aluminum follows the other main bearings for the application.

The Arctic steel backed bearings did not become optional until they went to the OD 65mm aluminum mains as the standard. Previously, they all had the steel backed bearings.

Steel backed main bearings were less susceptible to spinning in the crankcase when started at extremely cold temperatures.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these oddball main bearings at a swap meet last summer. Only recently did I discover them to be Bastard 40hp bearings. Since they are steel backed and 65mm OD, they must be the 3rd Generation Bastard Crankcase bearings VW Vet describes above. All my measurements suggest they will work in all 40hp and 1300, 1500, 1600 engines.

Can anyone explain why they are all split?

VW Vet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,

65mm and steel backed means they could have been made after the bastard fiasco. They were optional for arctic locations after they went to thick 65mm aluminum bearings as the standard.

I can't see the steel backing in your photos. Does the 0,75mm on the box refer to oversize?

The Bentley Manual shows split mains (including the #1 thrust) for some non-bastard applications. I will look to see when they were used and when they went to one piece.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to the breather hole under the generator stand...
VW Vet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tasb,

Yes, I thought so after I read it a couple of times.
Thanks. I haven't had a chance to research the date of change, yet.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW Vet wrote:

I can't see the steel backing in your photos. Does the 0,75mm on the box refer to oversize?

The weight is a dead give-a-way. All the split shells are steel backed. The small one is Al.
This set is indeed .75mm undersize for the crank.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: